+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I'm the first to admit I know very little about the muslim religion but I don't think the Quran would be the information I am after as it would suggest all muslims abide by all the versus of the Quran which I would find rather alarming. (For balance I would also find a Christian who takes to heart the literal meaning of all the versus in the new testamant.) I was thinking something along the lines of the range of opinions and practices your average Australian muslim would believe and pratice.

Personally, I learnt most things through observation and asking questions of dhs family, not avalible to everyone though!! One thing I have learnt is it really depends on what country your descended from....ie alot of Saudi's I know are more 'old school' and follow the religion more to the lwtter then the Lebanese people I know.. Obviosly this is in my limited experience

I think it would be very hard to show the 'average' way an Aussie Muslim
    practices and beliefs because they can be so so differnt and affected by so many factors.

Totally dosent answer your question though

2. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (12-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We are atheist and no I won't be imposing my lack of beliefs onto my children I'm happy to explore all religions with them and will embrace them regardless of their choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I won't be imposing anything but I won't be denying. I will be honest in what I believe and why but in no way will I try and control my children's thoughts on it but I will expect them to be able to critique and evaluate it.

My DH doesn't care, he wasn't baptised and is ambivalent to religion. Neither of us have a hate for religion but we are atheist not agnostic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD will be raised as an Anglican, we plan on her attending Sunday School & church, being baptised etc because DF & I feel that is the right thing to do. She won't have a choice about attending church until she is old enough to stay at home by herself. If she isn't interested I'll let her read a book/play quietly during the service instead.
    I won't limit her access to other religions, if she shows any interest in them I'll help her research them as much as she likes.
    Neither will I push her into having her confirmation. If she wants to continue in the faith, then that will be her decision to make & I will back her decision up either way.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

Justwant2beamummy  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, my dad was rushed to hospital at age 45 with and aortic aneurysm. He did not survive. Sometimes I look at the suffering in the world too and find it hard to believe in anything to be honest. I think probably that there is no meaning, no point. We are what we are, and this is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I'm glad that you're brother survivied but if you can attribute him being saved to god's intervention then why doesn't god intervene in more similar situations or where there is dire poverty or natural disasters where thousands of entirely innocent people are killed? If god is to be credited for saving a life then surely god must also have some responsibility/accountability when an innocent life is not saved.

Two years ago my 73 year old father was rushed to hospital with an abdominal aorta annurism (sp?). The survival rate of an AAA are hard to find, quite simply because they are miniscule, it was something like less than 1% for a 5cm annurism, his was 8cm. He is an athiest. He survived thanks to a series of luck and dedication and skill of medical professionals. Turns out he also hard a heart attack when the annurism burst. I can't emphasise enough how unlikely it is to survive what's referred to as a triple-A but he did, and a bad one at that.

I'm sorry, I know it's not on topic *hangs head*.
    Last edited by beebs; 12-08-2012 at 10:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    SAB - while I think it is wonderful your brother survived, and glad you still have him in your life.

...I find stories like that insulting.

People say those things because the outcome indeed wasn't 'logical'.. as in it wasn't 'expected' - or it 'beat the odds'.
    If something is described as having a 'one in a million chance' of happening -- that doesn't mean it s 'impossible', that means there is a very small chance, or it is highly unlikely, mathmatically speaking.

My uncle was killed in a mining explosion in PNG. Did his gaurdian angel have his back turned for a split second? ..the next person would say,'he was called..' Or 'his time was up' ..'it was meant to be' --- or other stuff that personally I find nonsensical and not comforting at all.

And the whole 'intervention' thing is what gets me putting my cynical hat on - if it can happen on a small scale (saving the life of one from an accident) -- why can't it happen on a global scale?... surely if everyone got together one night and prayed for cancer to be wiped out it would happen!!
    ..."moving mountains" and all that jazz.

Or at the very least DPs cousin who just died in her mid 30s after fighting a 5year battle, at the same time taking care of her 3 boys, one with aspergers and having to leave her abusive husband...would have been granted life instead.

Apologies - but as you can see - I'm coming from a very similar emotional point of view - just the other end of the scale.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 12-08-2012 at 11:56.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-08-2012),blondekelli  (12-08-2012),Bubmum  (12-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (12-08-2012),Mulva  (12-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Be insulted if you choose to be, but there was someone watching over him that night.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Be insulted if you choose to be, but there was someone watching over him that night.
    what?

I'm not 'choosing' to be insulted - when someone claims that their family member was saved by 'someone' - but that same 'someone' killed or allowed the death of my (and others') family members -- that comment alone is insensitive.

...'Be deluded if you choose to be.'

You can either 'choose' to be insulted by the above comment or say I am the one being insulting.
    Hmmmmmm.... isn't perspective a wonderful thing.

Edit to add >> --- persoanlly , I have no issue with people 'thinking'or holding a belief to reason the life/death thing ..it's when it is put out in public amongst others as a declaration, and used to try and 'prove' the individuals beleifs is when I cringe and get my back up - obviously.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 12-08-2012 at 12:30.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-08-2012),beebs  (12-08-2012),Bubmum  (12-08-2012),Eko  (12-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (12-08-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    She apologized in advance in the hopes of not offending with her point of view. She explained her reasons for it. The least you could do is be respectful and kind in your response seeings as how she was respectful enough to you to try to soften her response.

FITB - I'm sorry you lost your uncle, and also your DP's cousin. That poor thing... Someone like that definitely deserves to get better and have a happy life .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always join a thread after it goes on a tangent lol.

Anyway, my daughter has been baptised Roman Catholic and we plan on sending her to one of the local private schools.

We aren't regular churchgoers, dh is atheist but not against dd and future children being the same as their mummy

If dd decides she wants to explore other religions (i know I have) then that's totally fine with me. Religion is a personal choice. The reason we've chosen the catholic school is because it has a great reputation not necessarily for the religious factor. If it was a full on bible basher school like some of the others near us then I wouldn't. They are a bit too intense for my liking and I prefer the focus on education.

My parents never enforced religion on us. My dad is the catholic and I made my communion and confirmation. Mum never really bothered with religion tbh.