Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    P.s can the rest of you stop derailing?

***Sent from my phone***

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-08-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The Quran is the best place to start or I have a great book called Islam the straight path by John Esposito
    I'm the first to admit I know very little about the muslim religion but I don't think the Quran would be the information I am after as it would suggest all muslims abide by all the versus of the Quran which I would find rather alarming. (For balance I would also find a Christian who takes to heart the literal meaning of all the versus in the new testamant.) I was thinking something along the lines of the range of opinions and practices your average Australian muslim would believe and pratice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My lack of religion is imposed on DD's life. It does so naturally. I think it'd do so naturally if I was religious too. I would lead my life a certain way if I thought I had to follow religious teachings... and even if I didn't force my children to be Christened or attend church, it would still impact our household and therefore her life.

I am totally hoping she continues to be an atheist though. Obivously I think that there is no god and would feel a bit disappointed if she thought there was one... just because I'd think she was so wrong, and would worry about what religion could do to her/how it could limit her opinions and freedom, etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have given this long thought. My family are strong catholics, my great grandfather became a Monk after his wife died very young, except I was christianed CofE, schooled as a Baptist and spent several years in a Pentacostal Cult.

My kids will be brought up being taught ethics and morals, they will be made aware that other religions exist and should they choose to explore a specific religion they will be supported. I will discuss with them the origins of the Westminster system of law and politics and it's origins from the christain bible. I will also discuss with them the failings I see in many religious systems to hopefully enable them to make a decision having applied critical thinking but also understanding the huge chasm between logic, facts and religious faith.

I will no sooner impose a faith than a non faith IYKWIM, but I cannot encourage a faith I have no belief in either.

That being said, I don't dance, play a musical instrument or play sport. I allow my kids to play music, I take them to dance and I take them to sport. I encourage them to explore these things. I see understanding about religions to be the exact same and if they really wanted to attend a church I'd make that happen too but I can't take them to a church to encourage them as that would go against what I truely believe in.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-08-2012),Theophania  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    People might bag me out for being Christian (saying I am uneducated or anything else) but at the end of the day I know what I know and am highly educated (though chose to have a career that I love over one that is higher paying) and I have my full faith in God. But in saying that, I raise my child to know about ALL the ways of the world, ALL beliefs of the world, and introduce her to all of it and do not in any way force my spiritual belief onto her, because I believe it is a life journey to get to where we are. Her life is only young, she has a long way to go, but I did baptise into my religion because I feel that is the right thing to do. What she does with that is up to her as she goes through life, but so far we are on the same page with everything.

She is very literal, has Autism and ADHD to contend with, but to her, my faith makes sense. I will continue to educate her on how the world operates outside our little bubble because I feel that is the right way to be. I will not force anything on her, including our diet (outside of her allergies and auto-immune disease which she has information on) but so far she cannot for the life of her understand how anyone can believe the universe got here through any means outside of our God, or how anyone in their right mind can thin it's ok to eat meat. That is not me brainwashing her, that is me saying "This is how I live, this is the information, make up your own mind"!

ETA: I do NOT think that people without a faith cannot have morals or ethics outside of that, not at all. They are different issues entirely.
    Last edited by share a book; 11-08-2012 at 20:06.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    People might bag me out for being Christian (saying I am uneducated or anything else) but at the end of the day I know what I know and am highly educated (though chose to have a career that I love over one that is higher paying) and I have my full faith in God. But in saying that, I raise my child to know about ALL the ways of the world, ALL beliefs of the world, and introduce her to all of it and do not in any way force my spiritual belief onto her, because I believe it is a life journey to get to where we are. Her life is only young, she has a long way to go, but I did baptise into my religion because I feel that is the right thing to do. What she does with that is up to her as she goes through life, but so far we are on the same page with everything.

She is very literal, has Autism and ADHD to contend with, but to her, my faith makes sense. I will continue to educate her on how the world operates outside our little bubble because I feel that is the right way to be. I will not force anything on her, including our diet (outside of her allergies and auto-immune disease which she has information on) but so far she cannot for the life of her understand how anyone can believe the universe got here through any means outside of our God, or how anyone in their right mind can thin it's ok to eat meat. That is not me brainwashing her, that is me saying "This is how I live, this is the information, make up your own mind"!

ETA: I do NOT think that people without a faith cannot have morals or ethics outside of that, not at all. They are different issues entirely.
    I'm an atheist, but I really respect that you as a christian are giving your daughter a wide view on all religions. I think that's fantastic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother should NOT have survived, there is no medical reason for him being here, every medical professional we have spoken to has said there is no medical reason for him being here, most of them (at a public hospital) have said that he needs to thank GOD for him being here, the Firies said it is a miracle they retrieved a live one, and everone from firies tor ambos to doctors and nurses from the scene of the accident to the ICU to the Wards to now has said to him that if he doesn't believe in God then he really should, there is no MEDICAL reason for them to have pulled a "live one" from the car wreckage, no logical explanation for him to have survived the trip to hospial, no logical explanation for ANYTHING that followed other that "SOMEONE" was watching was watching over him that night. That is from ambos, firies, doctors, nurses, priests, eveyone. There is nothing logical about his survival. He should not have lives. Not at all. We are happy he did, but no logical explanation for it.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    My brother should NOT have survived, there is no medical reason for him being here, every medical professional we have spoken to has said there is no medical reason for him being here, most of them (at a public hospital) have said that he needs to thank GOD for him being here, the Firies said it is a miracle they retrieved a live one, and everone from firies tor ambos to doctors and nurses from the scene of the accident to the ICU to the Wards to now has said to him that if he doesn't believe in God then he really should, there is no MEDICAL reason for them to have pulled a "live one" from the car wreckage, no logical explanation for him to have survived the trip to hospial, no logical explanation for ANYTHING that followed other that "SOMEONE" was watching was watching over him that night. That is from ambos, firies, doctors, nurses, priests, eveyone. There is nothing logical about his survival. He should not have lives. Not at all. We are happy he did, but no logical explanation for it.
    I'm glad that you're brother survivied but if you can attribute him being saved to god's intervention then why doesn't god intervene in more similar situations or where there is dire poverty or natural disasters where thousands of entirely innocent people are killed? If god is to be credited for saving a life then surely god must also have some responsibility/accountability when an innocent life is not saved.

Two years ago my 73 year old father was rushed to hospital with an abdominal aorta annurism (sp?). The survival rate of an AAA are hard to find, quite simply because they are miniscule, it was something like less than 1% for a 5cm annurism, his was 8cm. He is an athiest. He survived thanks to a series of luck and dedication and skill of medical professionals. Turns out he also hard a heart attack when the annurism burst. I can't emphasise enough how unlikely it is to survive what's referred to as a triple-A but he did, and a bad one at that.

I'm sorry, I know it's not on topic *hangs head*.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I'm glad that you're brother survivied
    but if you can attribute him being saved to god's intervention then why doesn't god intervene in more similar situations or where there is dire poverty or natural disasters where thousands of entirely innocent people are killed? If god is to be credited for saving a life then surely god must also have some responsibility/accountability when an innocent life is not saved.

Two years ago my 73 year old father was rushed to hospital with an abdominal aorta annurism (sp?). The survival rate of an AAA are hard to find, quite simply because they are miniscule, it was something like less than 1% for a 5cm annurism, his was 8cm. He is an athiest. He survived thanks to a series of luck and dedication and skill of medical professionals. Turns out he also hard a heart attack when the annurism burst. I can't emphasise enough how unlikely it is to survive what's referred to as a triple-A but he did, and a bad one at that.

I'm sorry, I know it's not on topic *hangs head*.
    Different topic, all I know is that there is NO LOGICAL REASON for him to have survived q

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes I do think there is divine intervention, just not necessarily a christiany divinity IYKWIM.

I've 'known' about several deaths before people have died. It's not a 'Christian' thing but it's happened in front of witnesses and I do believe that the foresight is a divine message.