+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sam88 View Post
    I'm surprised at the age differences! In Vic kinder is for 4 year olds and school is for 5 year olds. My daughter will be 3 and 11 months when starting kinder.
    In nsw, the first year of school, is kinder. Our primary schools have kinder to grade 6. Before that, its preschool; and thats not mandetory.

OP, obly you know your dd. Im keeping my son home an extra year, the older the better for my children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    In nsw, the first year of school, is kinder. Our primary schools have kinder to grade 6. Before that, its preschool; and thats not mandetory.
    I didn't know preschool wasn't mandatory! Interesting ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was put straight into first class at 5, which was fine , the only problem I ever had was I was a year younger than everyone else, 14 in year 10 and 16 for most of year 12!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's really tough isn't it?
    Personally, we decided to hold ours back, even though they are well within the ages to start school next year (twins turn 5 end of march). I'm not worried about anything in particular, just generally that 4 years old seems so young to be sitting all day every day in school. And lots of studies have shown that starting later is better, esp for boys. But basically for me, I didn't see the rush and I'm happy to have them home the extra year. They will also likely be more academically ahead by then (like my oldest child was) hence giving them extra confidence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had to make this choice last yr. Our DD turned 5 in april and we held her so she will be starting school next yr. Academically she was fine to go but we found when we tried 5 days of preschool end of last year whilst she was fine for up to three days by Thursday Friday she was really starting to get tired and struggled to concentrate. Her preschool has been great this yr and has kept up with her academically so she is currently at the same level as many kindy kids we know but it didn't matter if she got tired and didn't do as much some days. We figured the schools are equally as equip to deal with advanced kids as they are with slower learners but there is no where near the sigma with kids of going to advanced groups rather then remedial groups or repeating. if your dd hasn't done preschool yet do you have that option for next yr or even a long daycare that runs a preschool program?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a teacher I'm struggling with this question with my 3.5 year old DD. I honestly think she will be ready to start in 2014 but there are so many more expectations on kinder kids these days that it confuses me. Kinder used to be about structured play and introducing kids into school. Now it is about tests results (best start test before the kids start school for example) and how much you can do before you start school. They are only kids for such a short period of time that I think I want to give her that extra year of freedom.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zephani For This Useful Post:

chickenfoot83  (11-08-2012),delirium  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my girls started at 4 and a half. One was 5 in the may... The other late June. They have both always excelled at school socially and mentally. One is now at uni, the other is in year 11.

I have no regrets that I started them early and they never had any problems

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 started at 4.5yrs (end of June) and is now in Year 8. She is doing well, no regrets.

We did struggle with our decision so asked the teachers what they thought during Orientation and they said she was ready.

It did mean she was only 11.5yrs when she started High School which she was fine with. But I had to be ok with her getting herself either home by herself or to me at the primary school of an afternoon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think 5 turning 6 or 6 turning 7 is a better age for kids too start school.
    Heres a link to an article i read on a website based on the walker learning teaching methods.

I would not start a child at school at 4, I think its way too young.

http://earlylife.com.au/info/Editorial%20June%202009

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

delirium  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started when I was around that age and I wouldn't do it to my kids. I was not ready socially and still am awkward in social situations
    Academically it wasn't so bad