+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default About to loose my ****!!!

DD1 is nearly 4, and seriously asking her to take all the toys from the loungeroom and put them in her bedroom is extremely painful!!! She's meant to be staying over at her nannas hose tonight and I threaten that she can't stay there if she doesn't pack up the toys but that's useless she continues taking one toy in her room and playing. I also threaten timeout (which she is currently in) and I'm hoping that does the trick. But seriously it's doing my head in, im sick of yelling at her to get the toys packed up!! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2mj View Post
    DD1 is nearly 4, and seriously asking her to take all the toys from the loungeroom and put them in her bedroom is extremely painful!!! She's meant to be staying over at her nannas hose tonight and I threaten that she can't stay there if she doesn't pack up the toys but that's useless she continues taking one toy in her room and playing. I also threaten timeout (which she is currently in) and I'm hoping that does the trick. But seriously it's doing my head in, im sick of yelling at her to get the toys packed up!! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! TIA
    Hmm try and turn it in to a game. Get a washing basket for soft things and balls so she can throw them in. Or count to 10 and see how many toys she can put away then try and get her to beat that score? Or just say "quick quick quick we have to go to nanny's! Let's get all the toys packed up so we can leave straight away before it gets dark! Ready set go! I bet I can get that pink block faster than you!"
    Etc!
    Good luck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay so this is a very late response to your post but I remember reading about the magic word "let's".
    I do find that when I've done this I get a better response from my 3 year old - you say "Let's put these toys in your room so we can go to Nannas". Then you do it with them. They only do about half the work but at least they're participating and a fight is avoided.
    Doesn't always work but it's still a neat little 'trick'.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about getting her a pink wheelie bin from a discount store that you only bring out for pack away?get some fairy or other stickers and tell her every night she packs away her toys using the special wheelie bin she can put a sticker on it. Lots of praise and make it fun. I have an autistic son, stubborn as a mule , if I tell him he won't if I praise and make a game he will.
    Kids hey !!!! They drive you nuts !!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mother is a fan of "Pack it up or I will put it in a garbage bag and throw it away!"

If my daughter is tired, this isn't going to help, of course, she'll just get upset.

But if she's being stubborn... well, what's the worse that happens? You put all the toys lying around in a (clean and empty!) garbage bag and pretend to take it outside to the bin? Just stash it in the shed (or carboot) for a week or two, and if she doesn't notice, congratulations! You've just de-stashed some of her toys! The op shop will like them very much

if within the week, she asks for them... (my daughter never has!) I'd just say "Remember? You didn't pick them up, so they went into the bin?" if that upsets her I might whisper "But you know what Santa doesn't do when it's Christmas? He saves toys, so he can give them better homes! Maybe if you're good and pick up all your other toys, Santa might bring back your toys!"

I'm sure the whole thing is some sort of "thou shall not lie to your children" parenting fail, but whatevs. it's like a win/win/win. Toys either gets tidied, or we get less toys around the house.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default About to loose my ****!!!

I pick my battles with my four and three year old. If I know they are in a particularly stubborn/tired/cranky mood I don't ask them to pack away, I do it once they are in bed. It's happening less and less now, because most of the time they do as they are asked. I just found this worked best as if I ask, and they are in a particularly stubborn mood, then I still have to follow through. If I only ask when I know they will do it, I can praise them a lot.

When I have misjudged mood/had a cranky mummy moment, Ive also done the garbage bag thing. Its never got to the point that Ive picked any up though, they run around faster than me.