+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't understand the POINT of TTing a 6mo?? Like.. I understand the nappies and having children who don't like having things in their nappies.
    But I don't understand the point, particularly with a whistle? A 6mo can't walk or crawl on his or her own and can't really effectively communicate that they need to go NOW. So I don't see the point if you can't put it into practice??

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm ok I'm totally not keen on the whistle we did EC with DD (have lost our way a bit and we currently have lots of misses) but the general idea is that newborns are actually aware of their bodily happenings (you just have to learn the cues and communicate with them) and that putting nappies on then basically teaches them to ignore these feelings and they become mute to them so you have to teach them to relearn these feelings at a later age so you can TT them.

Personally I have found it very positive I love 'catching' a poop or a pee it means we are communicating especially when I am just holding her and I get an inkling that she needs to go and she does currently lots of our catches are done after sleeps.

So yeah it's not about rushing to TT them (for everyone who does it) it's about keeping that knowledge they are born with and respecting them enough to help them toilet. Hell I'm sure it would be easier to just let adults who can't get to the toilet poop and pee in a nappy but we don't, we help them, it's about helping a baby too, that's my job as my babies mummy and im happy to do it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Buttercup80  (12-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I don't understand the POINT of TTing a 6mo?? Like.. I understand the nappies and having children who don't like having things in their nappies.
    But I don't understand the point, particularly with a whistle? A 6mo can't walk or crawl on his or her own and can't really effectively communicate that they need to go NOW. So I don't see the point if you can't put it into practice??
    Babies give verbal or non verbal cues, they arch their backs a certain way they make a noise..just like how you know when your baby has wind or is getting hungry

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Buttercup80  (12-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I disagree with the last bit. 8/10 times I can see if dd2 is going to poo by her facial expressions. So I take off her nappy and she poops then. She's now kinda worked out that "make funny face" makes mum take me to a place, removes my pants and then I let go. If I miss she poops her pants and then screams for me to change her.

It is win win. She learns that mummy responds to her quickly as possible and saves me a pooey mess.

I agree with lovesushi. Its not cruel. In my mind it's responsive parenting.
    I don't get the whistle. It sounds like behavioural training but then many parents chose to sleep train their children via a variety of ways Inc cc and CIO. It's no different.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (11-08-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I disagree with the last bit. 8/10 times I can see if dd2 is going to poo by her facial expressions. So I take off her nappy and she poops then. She's now kinda worked out that "make funny face" makes mum take me to a place, removes my pants and then I let go. If I miss she poops her pants and then screams for me to change her.

It is win win. She learns that mummy responds to her quickly as possible and saves me a pooey mess.

I agree with lovesushi. Its not cruel. In my mind it's responsive parenting.
    I don't get the whistle. It sounds like behavioural training but then many parents chose to sleep train their children via a variety of ways Inc cc and CIO. It's no different.
    I agree!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    see, to me, i toilet trained Dd for the fact SHE could sort herself out. It would drive me crazy actually having to take a baby to the toilet all the time. I wouldnt even bother worrying about tt until walking at least!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a thought

I happily prepare and then sit with/cuddle or feed both my girls to sleep (2yo +8wk). I also with take them both to the toilet/potty when they indicate verbally or via facial cues/grunts etc

For those that object to TT at a young age - do you also object to sleep training as well?

For those that wait till they can toilet themselves to start - do you also let your kids put themselves to sleep as in undress/dress, get into bed etc by themselves?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe she uses a soft sounding whistle, not a harsh one like we are all imagining.... I hope so anyway!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louy For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (11-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think EC is cool. I haven't done it but I usually know before katelyn poops.

but using a whistle to frighten baby to cry after they poop I don't see what that will achieve except a tense baby.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I don't get how the whistle method would even work. By the time you notice the bub had done a wee or poo it might be a while since they actually did it. Therefore how would they associate the whistle with the wee/poo? It's like dogs - you have to tell them off when they're doing the poop inside - you can't tell them off 15 mins later because they won't understand what you're referring to.
    I have been wondering the same thing, I've decided they must not use nappies, only way I can think of where you'd know quickly that something has happened...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (11-08-2012)