+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, that sounds really regimented and harsh. I am pro early potty training but that makes me sad.

We started toilet training DS from 6 months BUT we were really easy going...just putting him on the potty after eating etc, sshhing to bring on wee but never keeping him on there until we had something, it was just more getting used to the potty. DS NEVER liked anything in his nappy though and would scream as soon as doing a number 2 or number 1 so he took quite quickly to the potty and not having a dirty nappy touching him. By 7 months he did all his number 2's on there but we still had wee accidents for years, didn't bother us at all...

I intend to start our next one a lot earlier but it will be the same for us, just getting used to the potty but no big deal if they do their business in their nappy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttercup80 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I can't help but think this whistle method will create anxiety around going to the toilet and perhaps anxiety in regards to whistles also.

I just can't imagine being so keen to potty train to resort to this method.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What the heck is the rush? Disturbing tactics too.

I just don't get why parents are in such a darn rush when it comes to child developmental stages these days... Sheesh

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (11-08-2012),AllYouNeedIsLove  (11-08-2012),CharlieBug  (10-08-2012),giggle berry  (10-08-2012),MothersMilk  (10-08-2012),trishalishous  (11-08-2012),~BEXTER~  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    I just don't get why parents are in such a darn rush when it comes to child developmental stages these days... Sheesh
    The mum who told us about it is planning to do the same with her 9month old so he's toilet trained before she goes back to work.

Presumably so she doesn't have to deal with toilet training while working....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mother swears that I was only toileting on the potty from 8mths and my brother from 10mths old. My MIL also had both her boys TT by 18mths and says they delay was due them waiting till summer to start.

The parentals feel that it's only the advent of disposable nappies that parents leave it till later. I do agree cos I got tired of washing nappies and refuse to have 2 kids in nappies at the same time.

In many eastern culture babies are toileted from a very young age
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 10-08-2012 at 18:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What black eyed pea said....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've seen many people start toilet training babies from 2 months old. The reason is that they don't want to put babies in nappies 24/7, the weather condition there make them more prone to nappy rash, also the fact that nappies are expensive and they can't afford good quality brands. But their technique is watching for signs and time, shushing for wee. I've never heard of using a whistle to make bub cry, it must be horrifying for bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't get how the whistle method would even work. By the time you notice the bub had done a wee or poo it might be a while since they actually did it. Therefore how would they associate the whistle with the wee/poo? It's like dogs - you have to tell them off when they're doing the poop inside - you can't tell them off 15 mins later because they won't understand what you're referring to.

Plus it's stupid and cruel of course!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyskies View Post
    You can actually toilet train a baby from newborn - whether you actually WANT to though......

It's called EC - I think Elimination Communication? Or something like that. You basically hold the baby over the toilet and speak softly in their ear, sssssss, like the sound of doing a wee, to encourage them.

I dont know anyone who's done it, and while they're a newborn/baby, you just want to hold them and cuddle them, who cares about toilet training, as if we have nothing else to do with our time, lol.
    Many people do it to avoid putting nappies on babies as often and have urine and foeces touching the skin if it can be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup80 View Post
    Wow, that sounds really regimented and harsh. I am pro early potty training but that makes me sad.

We started toilet training DS from 6 months BUT we were really easy going...just putting him on the potty after eating etc, sshhing to bring on wee but never keeping him on there until we had something, it was just more getting used to the potty. DS NEVER liked anything in his nappy though and would scream as soon as doing a number 2 or number 1 so he took quite quickly to the potty and not having a dirty nappy touching him. By 7 months he did all his number 2's on there but we still had wee accidents for years, didn't bother us at all...

I intend to start our next one a lot earlier but it will be the same for us, just getting used to the potty but no big deal if they do their business in their nappy.
    I did that too, and she was taking herself to the toilet at just over a year old. My DD hated anything in her nappy, I followed her lead with that. If she was a baby who was ok with it then I probably wouldn't have even looked into why she was so upset and what to do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    My mother swears that I was only toileting on the potty from 8mths and my brother from 10mths old. My MIL also had both her boys TT by 18mths and says they delay was due them waiting till summer to start.

The parentals feel that it's only the advent of disposable nappies that parents leave it till later. I do agree cos I got tired of washing nappies and refuse to have 2 kids in nappies at the same time.

In many eastern culture babies are toileted from a very young age
    We only used cloth nappies and DD was fully trained through the day before she started childcare at 19 months when I returned to work. Even washing her own hands, although she was unable to put her pants back on for a while after. She could take them off, but not put them back on.

The use of the whistle sounds like it could border on child abuse, the pain it would cause is horrible to think about I know how my animals are when DD makes noises with whistles and they are only those little plastic ones, not loud ones. Whistles are only appropriate IMO for Phys Ed or extra-curricular sporting activities for older children.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Buttercup80  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girl friend was gushing in front of her MIL and her MIL's friends that she had her son toilet trained at 2.5, she was so proud, only to be shut down by one of her MIL's friends who said to her that 2.5 was really late and that she had started putting her granddaughter on the potty at 4 months!!!! Ppl are crazy!!!!