+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    I recognise that, but I can't just "not eat" when I find out I am pregnant. Once I am pregnant I can't say "oh hang on, I'm pregnant, better drop the excess weight instantly." You can change your eating behaviours when you find out you are pregnant, which is what I and I am sure many other women have done, and you can ensure you don't put weight on, which again I am doing. Smoking and drinking, even when they are addictions, can be stopped during pregnancy and can cease to be an issue, I never said it was easy, but it can be done.

I repeat, if the article is aimed at those who are yet to conceive then put it in the Trying to conceive section.

I am sorry you are obviously sensitive on this issue and I really didn't mean to offend.

. I did try to find a suitable section but there were 50,000 of them and this was the best section I could find after 5 minutes of searching. If a mod would like to move it, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

If you are offended by this thread then I'm sorry but you shouldn't have read past the title which was quite descriptive.

And if you are worried about being overweight and pregnant then well im sorry but that's not MY fault. I didn't make you overweight, I didn't make up the risks or the article and I didn't force you to read past the title.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I don't see any fat bashing or choice bashing in the OP or in the article- just the message that if you are thinking of getting pregnant and are obese, you should think about trying to lose weight beforehand. There would be no angry backlash against someone saying 'you should try to quit smoking' which can be just as hard as losing weight. Have a look at some of the 'pregnant ladies smoking' threads on here, and you will truly see some vilified pregnant women.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    This was exactly my intention.

I'm over all the aggro's getting their knickers in a knot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well VP Unfortunately, you can't please everyone- People ARE going to get there knickers in a knot about somethings. I mean seriously, I don't realllly give a toss about the article, By my BMI i am overweight yes. 2 years ago I was seriously obese. I also was a smoker when I got my BFP. I quit straight away and have eaten pretty healthy so far this pregnancy- I lost a lot of weight after my son was born so my behaviour has already changed- but I fell pregnant before I finished my weight loss journey. So this is where being overweight differs from another addiction such as smoking- overweight has grey areas, smoking doesn't :-)
    Anyway, thanks for posting the article- If you helped someone then good! (and I am being serious not sarcastic! LOL)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Another attack on women's choices, hurrah
    I fail to see the original article as an attack on women's choices; rather I see it as an attempt to bring attention to a risk many may not be aware of.

I fault the article for its lack of references to back up Dr Adair statement, but I guess it's the Canberra Times not an academic publication. A quick search does produce studies which back the doctor’s claims. For example Fabio Facchinetti et al found “Fetal malformations, severe intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) and maternal BMI > 25 were associated with a significant increase in the risk of Still Birth (SB); preeclampsia (PE) presented instead a protective role. Maternal BMI > 25 was the only risk factor for SB identified in term pregnancies”, in the study, A multicenter, case-control study on risk factors for antepartum stillbirth.

I agree vilification of those already overweight and pregnant will do little to help the situation (the same can be said for those who continue to drink and smoke), but I don’t think “oh well I’m already pregnant” should be an excuse to throw ones hands up in the air and do nothing. Education and support are key to assist pregnant overweight women (in fact all women) in achieving the best outcomes for their pregnancies.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

babyla  (10-08-2012),VicPark  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    I fail to see the original article as an attack on women's choices; rather I see it as an attempt to bring attention to a risk many may not be aware of.

I fault the article for its lack of references to back up Dr Adair statement, but I guess it's the Canberra Times not an academic publication. A quick search does produce studies which back the doctor’s claims. For example Fabio Facchinetti et al found “Fetal malformations, severe intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) and maternal BMI > 25 were associated with a significant increase in the risk of Still Birth (SB); preeclampsia (PE) presented instead a protective role. Maternal BMI > 25 was the only risk factor for SB identified in term pregnancies”, in the study, A multicenter, case-control study on risk factors for antepartum stillbirth.

I agree vilification of those already overweight and pregnant will do little to help the situation (the same can be said for those who continue to drink and smoke), but I don’t think “oh well I’m already pregnant” should be an excuse to throw ones hands up in the air and do nothing. Education and support are key to assist pregnant overweight women (in fact all women) in achieving the best outcomes for their pregnancies.
    I agree with all of this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    By bmi i should be 54 kilos,
    To reach 54 kilos i would have to damn near not eat, i was technically 12 kilos 'over weight' when i fell pregnant and 'obese' when i delivered (i was 80 kilos the day ds was delivered )

I am now 'obese' at 80 kilos, if i fell pregnant now i would be obese and pregnant.

I eat well, have cut out almost all junk food (treat only) i just can not loose weight.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jessdon View Post
    I think obesity is defined as being over a 25 BMI

Similar article here relating to a study on nutrition during pregnancy: http://www.mumzone.com.au/parenting/...-in-new-study/
    I think you will find that is the definition of overweight not obese. Obese is over 30

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    I think you will find that is the definition of overweight not obese. Obese is over 30
    Yep and I'm 31, 3 perfectly healthy pregnancies and babies to the Ob I love my fat vagina :happydance:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op - please don't imply that I am over weight due to choices I have made. The only choice I made that affected my weight was to go on medication to control a severe anxiety disorder. I apologise if you feel that I blamed you in any way. I read the post as I thought the article may hold some ideas how to mitigate the risks throughout pregnancy.
    yes I am sensitive and I apologise for that, the knee jerk reaction I had to this article was akin to me going to my ob and her sitting me down and saying your risk of still birth is higher than that of smokers and those who drink.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    Well VP Unfortunately, you can't please everyone- People ARE going to get there knickers in a knot about somethings. I mean seriously, I don't realllly give a toss about the article, By my BMI i am overweight yes. 2 years ago I was seriously obese. I also was a smoker when I got my BFP. I quit straight away and have eaten pretty healthy so far this pregnancy- I lost a lot of weight after my son was born so my behaviour has already changed- but I fell pregnant before I finished my weight loss journey. So this is where being overweight differs from another addiction such as smoking- overweight has grey areas, smoking doesn't :-)
    Anyway, thanks for posting the article- If you helped someone then good! (and I am being serious not sarcastic! LOL)
    Well done on the weight loss...What were your main secrets to losing the weight??