+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    I recognise that, but I can't just "not eat" when I find out I am pregnant. Once I am pregnant I can't say "oh hang on, I'm pregnant, better drop the excess weight instantly." You can change your eating behaviours when you find out you are pregnant, which is what I and I am sure many other women have done, and you can ensure you don't put weight on, which again I am doing. Smoking and drinking, even when they are addictions, can be stopped during pregnancy and can cease to be an issue, I never said it was easy, but it can be done.

    I repeat, if the article is aimed at those who are yet to conceive then put it in the Trying to conceive section.

    I am sorry you are obviously sensitive on this issue and I really didn't mean to offend.

    . I did try to find a suitable section but there were 50,000 of them and this was the best section I could find after 5 minutes of searching. If a mod would like to move it, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

    If you are offended by this thread then I'm sorry but you shouldn't have read past the title which was quite descriptive.

    And if you are worried about being overweight and pregnant then well im sorry but that's not MY fault. I didn't make you overweight, I didn't make up the risks or the article and I didn't force you to read past the title.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I don't see any fat bashing or choice bashing in the OP or in the article- just the message that if you are thinking of getting pregnant and are obese, you should think about trying to lose weight beforehand. There would be no angry backlash against someone saying 'you should try to quit smoking' which can be just as hard as losing weight. Have a look at some of the 'pregnant ladies smoking' threads on here, and you will truly see some vilified pregnant women.

    Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    This was exactly my intention.

    I'm over all the aggro's getting their knickers in a knot.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,713
    Thanks
    296
    Thanked
    192
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well VP Unfortunately, you can't please everyone- People ARE going to get there knickers in a knot about somethings. I mean seriously, I don't realllly give a toss about the article, By my BMI i am overweight yes. 2 years ago I was seriously obese. I also was a smoker when I got my BFP. I quit straight away and have eaten pretty healthy so far this pregnancy- I lost a lot of weight after my son was born so my behaviour has already changed- but I fell pregnant before I finished my weight loss journey. So this is where being overweight differs from another addiction such as smoking- overweight has grey areas, smoking doesn't :-)
    Anyway, thanks for posting the article- If you helped someone then good! (and I am being serious not sarcastic! LOL)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    273
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked
    204
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Another attack on women's choices, hurrah
    I fail to see the original article as an attack on women's choices; rather I see it as an attempt to bring attention to a risk many may not be aware of.

    I fault the article for its lack of references to back up Dr Adair statement, but I guess it's the Canberra Times not an academic publication. A quick search does produce studies which back the doctor’s claims. For example Fabio Facchinetti et al found “Fetal malformations, severe intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) and maternal BMI > 25 were associated with a significant increase in the risk of Still Birth (SB); preeclampsia (PE) presented instead a protective role. Maternal BMI > 25 was the only risk factor for SB identified in term pregnancies”, in the study, A multicenter, case-control study on risk factors for antepartum stillbirth.


    I agree vilification of those already overweight and pregnant will do little to help the situation (the same can be said for those who continue to drink and smoke), but I don’t think “oh well I’m already pregnant” should be an excuse to throw ones hands up in the air and do nothing. Education and support are key to assist pregnant overweight women (in fact all women) in achieving the best outcomes for their pregnancies.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

    babyla  (10-08-2012),VicPark  (10-08-2012)

  6. #25
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    I fail to see the original article as an attack on women's choices; rather I see it as an attempt to bring attention to a risk many may not be aware of.

    I fault the article for its lack of references to back up Dr Adair statement, but I guess it's the Canberra Times not an academic publication. A quick search does produce studies which back the doctor’s claims. For example Fabio Facchinetti et al found “Fetal malformations, severe intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) and maternal BMI > 25 were associated with a significant increase in the risk of Still Birth (SB); preeclampsia (PE) presented instead a protective role. Maternal BMI > 25 was the only risk factor for SB identified in term pregnancies”, in the study, A multicenter, case-control study on risk factors for antepartum stillbirth.


    I agree vilification of those already overweight and pregnant will do little to help the situation (the same can be said for those who continue to drink and smoke), but I don’t think “oh well I’m already pregnant” should be an excuse to throw ones hands up in the air and do nothing. Education and support are key to assist pregnant overweight women (in fact all women) in achieving the best outcomes for their pregnancies.
    I agree with all of this.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (10-08-2012)

  8. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,700
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked
    503
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    By bmi i should be 54 kilos,
    To reach 54 kilos i would have to damn near not eat, i was technically 12 kilos 'over weight' when i fell pregnant and 'obese' when i delivered (i was 80 kilos the day ds was delivered )

    I am now 'obese' at 80 kilos, if i fell pregnant now i would be obese and pregnant.

    I eat well, have cut out almost all junk food (treat only) i just can not loose weight.

    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

  9. #27
    threechooks's Avatar
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,654
    Thanks
    402
    Thanked
    420
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jessdon View Post
    I think obesity is defined as being over a 25 BMI

    Similar article here relating to a study on nutrition during pregnancy: http://www.mumzone.com.au/parenting/...-in-new-study/
    I think you will find that is the definition of overweight not obese. Obese is over 30

  10. #28
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    I think you will find that is the definition of overweight not obese. Obese is over 30
    Yep and I'm 31, 3 perfectly healthy pregnancies and babies to the Ob I love my fat vagina :happydance:

  11. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cessnock, NSW
    Posts
    1,416
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked
    477
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Op - please don't imply that I am over weight due to choices I have made. The only choice I made that affected my weight was to go on medication to control a severe anxiety disorder. I apologise if you feel that I blamed you in any way. I read the post as I thought the article may hold some ideas how to mitigate the risks throughout pregnancy.
    yes I am sensitive and I apologise for that, the knee jerk reaction I had to this article was akin to me going to my ob and her sitting me down and saying your risk of still birth is higher than that of smokers and those who drink.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

  12. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    Well VP Unfortunately, you can't please everyone- People ARE going to get there knickers in a knot about somethings. I mean seriously, I don't realllly give a toss about the article, By my BMI i am overweight yes. 2 years ago I was seriously obese. I also was a smoker when I got my BFP. I quit straight away and have eaten pretty healthy so far this pregnancy- I lost a lot of weight after my son was born so my behaviour has already changed- but I fell pregnant before I finished my weight loss journey. So this is where being overweight differs from another addiction such as smoking- overweight has grey areas, smoking doesn't :-)
    Anyway, thanks for posting the article- If you helped someone then good! (and I am being serious not sarcastic! LOL)
    Well done on the weight loss...What were your main secrets to losing the weight??


 

Similar Threads

  1. Giving babies antiboitics linked to obesity
    By headoverfeet in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 25-08-2012, 18:36
  2. Teenage and Childhood obesity
    By Violetiscasting in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-06-2012, 20:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Little Kickers NSW
Little Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we provide a positive fun-filled soccer program for children aged 18 months -7 years in a vibrant, group play environment.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!