+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I despise this type of article too and don't know what you are really trying to achieve either. Agree with Fichicken and Borntobe.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

fichicken  (10-08-2012),Grebbeci  (10-08-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't see any fat bashing or choice bashing in the OP or in the article- just the message that if you are thinking of getting pregnant and are obese, you should think about trying to lose weight beforehand. There would be no angry backlash against someone saying 'you should try to quit smoking' which can be just as hard as losing weight. Have a look at some of the 'pregnant ladies smoking' threads on here, and you will truly see some vilified pregnant women.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (10-08-2012),lambjam  (10-08-2012),NancyBlackett  (10-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think when medical staff look at your height and weight and assign you a number (BMI), they need to stop and look at your actual health also.

Yes we need to be aware or risks related to pregnancy if we are overweight, same as smoking, drinking etc. however, I think a bit of respect comes into play and educating without demoralizing would be nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I assume to educate and enlighten? Perhaps some women contemplating pregnancy might be inspired to lose a few kgs before TTC if they see these statistics.

Would you request a warning on a post that outlined the risks associated with smoking or alcohol?
    If it is aimed at those trying to conceive I would advise putting it in the "trying to conceive" section as opposed to the pregnancy section.
    All it achieves in the pregnancy section is to make overweight pregnant ladies such as myself feel like sh!t.

And the difference between putting up an article on smoking and alcohol is that smoking and drinking are behaviours you can modify during your pregnancy, being overweight is not.
    Last edited by Grebbeci; 10-08-2012 at 16:02.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

fichicken  (10-08-2012),hopefulmama2b  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I don't see any fat bashing or choice bashing in the OP or in the article- just the message that if you are thinking of getting pregnant and are obese, you should think about trying to lose weight beforehand. There would be no angry backlash against someone saying 'you should try to quit smoking' which can be just as hard as losing weight. Have a look at some of the 'pregnant ladies smoking' threads on here, and you will truly see some vilified pregnant women.

I do agree with this. Although for some women, being obese or overweight is something that is really hard to control, as much as they try. A lot of ladies with PCOS are obese and they find it difficult to loose weight. Plus some people are naturally bigger due to genetics.

I think if you are TTC and it's not working, then its def a good idea to try and live healthier and loose weight if you are carrying a bit extra. For ladies who are already pregnant however, i think this kind of article is just going to make them feel bad. You can still eat healthily and be overweight for other reasons.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Grebbeci  (10-08-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    If it is aimed at those trying to conceive I would advise putting it in the "trying to conceive" section as opposed to the pregnancy section.
    All it achieves in the pregnancy section is to make overweight pregnant ladies such as myself feel like sh!t.

And the difference between putting up an article on smoking and alcohol is that it is a behaviour you can amend during your pregnancy, being overweight is not.
    That just goes to show how much you know about addiction. How is an addiction just a behaviour? And not being overweight? Eat less? Not that simple, is it? Neither is 'just don't smoke'

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (10-08-2012),Alexander Beetle  (10-08-2012),lambjam  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do think the article could be very helpful for obese women who are considering TTC and might help them be motivated to lose some excess weight. I know a lot of people who are in denial about how big they are and brush it off as being 'curvy' and then some wonder why they can't conceive There is nothing wrong with the sharing of information when it comes to health.

I 110% agree with previous posters that when things like this are discussed anywhere absolute regard for people's feelings are needed. There is mother bashing toward a lot of groups - smokers, older mums, younger mums, overweight mums. We need to be kinder to each other.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That just goes to show how much you know about addiction. How is an addiction just a behaviour? And not being overweight? Eat less? Not that simple, is it? Neither is 'just don't smoke'

I think the point was that you can choose to quit smoking if you want to through pregnancy (I did) but you can't just choose to be a healthy size iykwim...

I too was overweight for both of my pregnancies, I was never informed of higher risks of stillbirth but definitely informed of higher risks of GD, High Blood pressure, bigger baby etc...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

Grebbeci  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I recognise that, but I can't just "not eat" when I find out I am pregnant. Once I am pregnant I can't say "oh hang on, I'm pregnant, better drop the excess weight instantly." You can change your eating behaviours when you find out you are pregnant, which is what I and I am sure many other women have done, and you can ensure you don't put weight on, which again I am doing. Smoking and drinking, even when they are addictions, can be stopped during pregnancy and can cease to be an issue, I never said it was easy, but it can be done.

I repeat, if the article is aimed at those who are yet to conceive then put it in the Trying to conceive section.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Another attack on women's choices, hurrah

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

FemmeFatale  (10-08-2012),Purple Lily  (10-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-08-2012)