+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My hip Is killing me....anyone had this before?

Hi, this is the 2nd time this happens. My hip seems to get stuck...only the one leg. It hurts so much i am screaming until i get one positionthat does not hurt as much and let it settle...but i dare not move now. I cant even point out where it hurts, on the side, back and front of my hip joint. Before it gets this bad my leg seems to drag unilt it is sortof stuck. When i say stuck it is because of pain, no idea about the range of motion. I am now 37 +1. Pain cant trigger labour can it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sounds like SPD - symphasis pubis Disfunction. I had it and it paralysed me practically. I saw a chiropractor for it, it helped a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Iam seeing a physio for my hips. What do u do or not do to prevent it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had severe debilitating hip and lower back pain with both my pregnancies. Mainly hip pain. And much worse with my second.
    Too much activity such as walking really made it worse. Some days even a little bit of walking set it off. The only thing that soothed it and made feel if only a little bit better was heat. I would have a hot hot shower with the water spraying on the sore area/s then try and sit or lay in a comfortable position with heat packs then repeat Unfortunately for me nothing made it go away completely during pregnancy except for birth. Went away almost immediately after birth.
    I know what u mean about getting 'stuck'. The pain would be so intense I couldn't move and would just cry and scream. I would get stuck standing up it was awful.
    We had to call an ambulance one day when it was really bad. I had to go to hospital because I was in so much pain. But I couldn't sit down to get in the car! So the hospital said to call an ambulance. The paramedics spent an hour trying to get me to lay down with copious amounts of pain relief (only pregnancy safe meds). There was nothing the hospital could do though except monitor me and give pain relief until the pain was bearable enough to walk once again.
    I tried seeing a chiropractor with DS2 but it really didn't help and if anything made it more painful. He mainly did massage and gave me exercises to do at home. Waste of money.
    All the midwives and doctors (public) brush it off as a 'normal' pregnancy complaint. But I don't think they understand how extreme the pain is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsmamma View Post
    I had severe debilitating hip and lower back pain with both my pregnancies. Mainly hip pain. And much worse with my second.
    Too much activity such as walking really made it worse. Some days even a little bit of walking set it off. The only thing that soothed it and made feel if only a little bit better was heat. I would have a hot hot shower with the water spraying on the sore area/s then try and sit or lay in a comfortable position with heat packs then repeat Unfortunately for me nothing made it go away completely during pregnancy except for birth. Went away almost immediately after birth.
    I know what u mean about getting 'stuck'. The pain would be so intense I couldn't move and would just cry and scream. I would get stuck standing up it was awful.
    We had to call an ambulance one day when it was really bad. I had to go to hospital because I was in so much pain. But I couldn't sit down to get in the car! So the hospital said to call an ambulance. The paramedics spent an hour trying to get me to lay down with copious amounts of pain relief (only pregnancy safe meds). There was nothing the hospital could do though except monitor me and give pain relief until the pain was bearable enough to walk once again.
    I tried seeing a chiropractor with DS2 but it really didn't help and if anything made it more painful. He mainly did massage and gave me exercises to do at home. Waste of money.
    All the midwives and doctors (public) brush it off as a 'normal' pregnancy complaint. But I don't think they understand how extreme the pain is!
    Yes, it is exactly this. I barely got to bed...it gets a bit better so i can move at bit but it has been 3hrs. Dh is on his way home,i am to scared to drive to get my child from school, if i can even get to the car. I se a physio and she gave me exercises but it hurts too much. I desperately needa wee, so if i canget up i will try andhave a bath...thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's the pregnancy hormones that relax the muscles and ligaments, to separate the pelvis to accommodate passing a baby through. Sometimes the pelvis doesn't separate properly which causes it to 'catch'.
    I don't believe Physio would help, but that's my personal opinion, I'm a chiro goer and chiro took the pain away for me immediately.
    Once bub is born it will go away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What helped me though before I went to a chiro was avoiding laying on my back, and if I was moving I'd roll keeping my knees together. Slow movements and not fast movements. Heat packs, hot showers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanne View Post
    Yes, it is exactly this. I barely got to bed...it gets a bit better so i can move at bit but it has been 3hrs. Dh is on his way home,i am to scared to drive to get my child from school, if i can even get to the car. I se a physio and she gave me exercises but it hurts too much. I desperately needa wee, so if i canget up i will try andhave a bath...thank you.
    I would try shower first. Don't want to get stuck in the bath!! Oh gosh u poor woman I remember being desperate for a wee but even the thought of sitting made me cry. Just had to do a really quick half sitting/ half standing wee and hope for the best lol. I really hope u get some relief soon. I know how unbearably painful it is x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this during my pregnancy too.

I did see a Physio (we have one at work) which did help over a few sessions.

What helped more was his advice to prevent it getting worse which was -

Try to not destabilise your pelvis / hips by;

1. Avoid stairs as much as possible as this throws your weight off centre

2. When rolling over in bed try to keep your knees as close together as you can, or at least enough that your thighs are parallel

3. When getting in and out of car or up and down from seating also try to keep thighs parallel as much as you can

He also gave me exercises that helped prevent it -

When in bed lying on your side, keep your legs straight and raise your top ankle slightly, hold it for a couple of secs and then lower it again, repeat a few times. Then change sides.

Good luck, it is truly agonising, I hope some of the suggestions here give you some relief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    It's the pregnancy hormones that relax the muscles and ligaments, to separate the pelvis to accommodate passing a baby through. Sometimes the pelvis doesn't separate properly which causes it to 'catch'.
    I don't believe Physio would help, but that's my personal opinion, I'm a chiro goer and chiro took the pain away for me immediately.
    Once bub is born it will go away.
    All the doctors and midwives told me this too. I believe it but the pain for me is right in my hips. Its hard to describe. It's like the head (ball) of the femur bone kind of grinding/ straining into the pelvic socket area. I understand about the whole hormones stretching ligaments etc thing but why there?!