Its so great to read such a post. We are 15 weeks with a 1 in 68 chance of downs and I thought I was going to have an amnio until the Ob explained that by the time you do the test and wait the 2 weeks for the definitive result termination is safest by being induced and 'giving birth' I totally freaked out and said no matter what was wrong with my child I could not do that. Even if it was a fatal condition I would prefer to let nature take its course so we decided no tests as I wouldn't terminate.
I still think about the possibilities and our chances but I am hoping at our 20 week scan we will get a bit better idea and I can live with the 67 out of 68 chance that our baby is perfectly healthy for the rest of the pregnancy and then find out on the big day.
What does scare me is my stepson who we have week about has a mild disability and severe medical condition and sometimes I get frustrated with him so I worry that I wouldn't do a good job being a fulltime parent to a more disabled child but I have decided to let fate take its course and will just do the best that I can with our new bub as we are doing now.
Goodluck with your decision and I think if the results would affect your decision on termination then I would have the test done so that way you are fully informed. If you are definite on termination then I admire your courage to make that heart wrenching decision, it is not an easy one to make.
I hope the news is good for you