+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    Yes, do the amnio. If you're so worried that you would terminate; do the amnio.

We're going to have every test done possible, we do not want a disabled child. Not because we see them as less human, or freaks, or less worthy of love.
    But because four of my siblings were born disabled, and after spending most of my teenage years raising and caring for them, I know I could not personally deal with it.
    DH's baby brother was also born disabled {don't know exactly what was wrong; it's too sensitive a subject to bring up with MIL}, but I do know that he died after three weeks of complications. DH watched him die, and he's absolutely terrified that if he has a disabled son or daughter, it will die just after he bonds with it. He actually has nightmares about it, poor man.

So we'll be getting the amnio even if the risk of DS is very low. We absolutely have to know if something could be wrong.
    We would never terminate unless we had a genetic abnormality confirmed with amnio etc.

That's it, I see children who are severely disabled every day and some children who have no quality of life and am in awe of parents but I know that we couldn't do it.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    We would never terminate unless we had a genetic abnormality confirmed with amnio etc.

That's it, I see children who are severely disabled every day and some children who have no quality of life and am in awe of parents but I know that we couldn't do it.
    Yep, exactly. We wouldn't terminate unless we knew something was wrong. Some things can't be picked up with tests, and only are apparent at birth, we know this. My brother was born deaf and my sister was blind in one eye. It wasn't picked up on any test {although this was in the early 90's} and wouldn't be found even today.

We admire parents who can do it, but given the choice we wouldn't. Of course if the baby is born with an issue we didn't see coming, we wouldn't adopt it out or abandon it, but we'd like to know beforehand if it has DS or anything else wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the thoughts, it really helps to clear the fuzz. We are going out for dinner tonight (it's our anniversary and DP has booked at one of the nicest places in town!) so have decided we will talk about it over dinner and make our minds up.
    Am leaning towards amnio for peace of mind tho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't trust the tests, and I would not do the amnio (after losing a baby at 20 weeks not from amnio) I couldn't terminate and I couldn't have a test that might or might not be accurate and take the risk of miscarrying. That's just our personal conviction manly from such a painful experience losing our precious little one but again it's a personal choice. I would only suggest to have a second or third opinion, I've heard more than one story about those tests being wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Amnio is more than 99% accurate.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 10-08-2012 at 20:10.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Nowhere  (10-08-2012),shani2  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other thing to consider is that amnios have a complication rate of about 1 in 200.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    The other thing to consider is that amnios have a complication rate of about 1 in 200.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Yes this is the reason we are undecided.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My obstetrician explained that statistic is very out of date and you should make your decision based on the experience and complication rate of your physician performing the procedure. I read the risk these days is something like 1:2000 with needle guides and better quality ultrasound machines.

Edit: I just checked and yes a new study was done in 2006 which puts the risk at 1:1600 and no longer includes data on those who choose to terminate after the amnio, where as the study which puts the risk at 1:200 included termination rates.
    Last edited by Stumbleine; 10-08-2012 at 20:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I took it easy for three days after my amnio just to be certain. With a fully breastfed young baby that was not easy but I had it Done on a Friday morning and DH took Friday off and so he was there Friday Saturday and Sunday to help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a CVS done when I was pregnant with my daughter - similar odds to yours (NT was also fine - was the blood tests that were a bit funny). I would have worried all the way through the pregnancy if I hadn't had it done. The risk of miscarriage from the CVS was around 1 in 200 where I had it done, and I remember reading that the risk for amnio is lower than that, but the risk of miscarriage in the first trimester is apparently 1 in 50 anyway.

I was extremely nervous about the whole thing and didn't really know what I wanted to do (I think the risk of Downs was higher in my mind than it actually was in reality), but I did know that I didn't want to continue worrying. All was fine in the end - the procedure itself was very quick (a bit uncomfortable but not too bad), with a bit of cramping for about 40 mins afterwards, but no complications at all, and no Downs Syndrome or other issues.

Good luck - chances are everything will be fine