+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    I wouldn't (and haven't) at that risk level. Mine came back at 1:255 and we haven't had one. In general the risk of a problem from an amnio still outweighs the risk of a DS baby at that point.
    My OB also said that in her experience a normal nuchal fold measurement is far more accurate than the bloods.
    Do you know if it was the papp-a or the free-hcg that was the issue?
    I'm thinking the scan was the nuchal measurement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    I wouldn't (and haven't) at that risk level. Mine came back at 1:255 and we haven't had one. In general the risk of a problem from an amnio still outweighs the risk of a DS baby at that point.
    My OB also said that in her experience a normal nuchal fold measurement is far more accurate than the bloods.
    Do you know if it was the papp-a or the free-hcg that was the issue?
    Both!!
    But that's what I felt, seeing that the uss was fine is far more reassuring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. I have requested a referral to the FMU so that we can discuss with them what they consider that risk to be. We may not decide to go ahead but at least the option is there.
    I'm just really torn and DP has freaked out as his workmate told him how his risk was 1:3000 and he was stressing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know. I heard of a couple who terminated after all test showed that bubs had a terminal genetic coNdotion, bubs were healthy. I personally dont have much faith in tests. My brothers little dd has a harelip and cleft pallet, none of the tests picked it up. Imo any test positve or negative has a chance to be wrong.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zanne For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (10-08-2012),Super Trooper  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, tough times, but I would do it with this that result. I have had a cvs and an amnio to get total peace of mind, as it is diagnostic and the NT is an 'estimate' only. The actual amnio is ok- feels funny but not painful. Feels crampy afterwards, but this is normal. All the best with your decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 1:8 ratio with my last child. Was lucky enough to fit in a CVS. I needed to do it for my peace of mind on what was to come. Luckily for us she was genetically fine. However we were warned that studies showed that there was also an increased risk of heart issues (she has a mild murmour) and higher risk of prematurity (she was very prem).
    I was asked what would I do with the results. Which is a good question, because I had made a decision on what to do before we got the results.
    All the best

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Being that you wil terminate if the baby has a genetic condition then yes if i wsa you I would do the test. If it was someone that would keep the baby either way i would say no as the risk to the baby is not worth it, As you would prepare your self that there is a high chance bub would have DS and it would be a pleasant surprise if not, and if bubs did have DS you would have already prepared your self for the possibility The other thing is t the 20 week scan they can check for the heart defects that DS bubs have a high chance of having

Out of the three they test for on the 12 week bloods and scans DS is the best case sinario.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine were basically the same and I had an amino... Being only 25 at the ttime and previously having an extremely low risk ffor my daughter made it the logical choice for us. I would not get a cvs done for this risk assessment id
    wait to get an amnio. My son does not have ds.

Good luck x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stumbleine For This Useful Post:

shani2  (10-08-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, do the amnio. If you're so worried that you would terminate; do the amnio.

We're going to have every test done possible, we do not want a disabled child. Not because we see them as less human, or freaks, or less worthy of love.
    But because four of my siblings were born disabled, and after spending most of my teenage years raising and caring for them, I know I could not personally deal with it.
    DH's baby brother was also born disabled {don't know exactly what was wrong; it's too sensitive a subject to bring up with MIL}, but I do know that he died after three weeks of complications. DH watched him die, and he's absolutely terrified that if he has a disabled son or daughter, it will die just after he bonds with it. He actually has nightmares about it, poor man.

So we'll be getting the amnio even if the risk of DS is very low. We absolutely have to know if something could be wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    Being that you wil terminate if the baby has a genetic condition then yes if i wsa you I would do the test. If it was someone that would keep the baby either way i would say no as the risk to the baby is not worth it, As you would prepare your self that there is a high chance bub would have DS and it would be a pleasant surprise if not, and if bubs did have DS you would have already prepared your self for the possibility The other thing is t the 20 week scan they can check for the heart defects that DS bubs have a high chance of having

Out of the three they test for on the 12 week bloods and scans DS is the best case sinario.
    I know. I was not however told wether this is the risk for ds or for the other triosomies and it doesn't say on the report.
    I have cared for a baby with Edwards syndrome who lived until greater than 2 weeks. It was heartbreaking and I cried for 2 days after that shift just thinking of these poor parents who were watching there baby struggle to breathe and slowly die.
    Thanks for your opinion.