+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 18mo hates singing/dancing

Hi all, I'm not sure whether to worry about this or if my little man is just a bit shy.

At play group/rhyme time/kindergym, etc, whenever there is dancing and singing DS doesn't want to join in. He basically clings onto me the whole time. He varies from wandering off and ignoring it, to being quite stressed out by it all.

I wouldn't worry so much but every, single, other toddler seems to love joining in and having a dance.

We don't do much dancing at home, maybe he just isn't used to it? He has been going to these sorts of activities though, where there is dancing, about twice a week for six months or so. He doesn't have a shy personality either, he often will go up to other kids and give them toys (or take their toys).

So, should I just chill out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could it be a boy thing maybe? My DS has never been interested in singing and dancing. I'd try getting him into it and he'd look at the like i was a looney. Its only been very recent that i've started to catch him trying to sing and dance.

I dont think its a big deal

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My ds#2 can be like this, he has sensory problems, so the music bothers him, and everyone elses movement scares him, because its so unpredictable. We have done some dancing and singing at home (he plays singstar, but only if no one else sings) and we will dance to christmas carols and stuff, he is fine if im doing it with him, but if his brother joins in (he is a crazy dancer, arms flailing everywhere) my little one will have a massive freakout meltdown.

Maybe its just overwhelming for your guy? Maybe he will grow up to be one of those people whonhate and refuse to dance lol (like my dh)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    He might just be a bit reserved at expressing himself in that way.

My son has never been a dancer, although I wonder if it's because we're a bit reserved? He does like singing, but I'm not sure if he would be keen to sing in a group situation.