+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Atropos she sounds like my mums partner! My mum always uses the excuse of his terrible upbringing (and it was extremely abusive and neglectful) however I just can't deal with his opinions on things! And the names he calls people are horrifying. It can definitely make for awkward dinners...

I do not understand the "@&$k off were full" mentality. It breaks my heart these people through no fault of their own are being persecuted for seeking a better life. My BIL teaches English as a 2nd language at a tafe in the western suburbs of Melbourne to mostly refugees and the stories of what these people have been through before the get here is atrocious and then we lock them up in detention until we feel like processing their claim. HORRID!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummabec For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (10-08-2012),BaronessM  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Yes the notion of the queue... Where is this queue people speak of?
    I thought the UNHCR was in charge of managing refugee relocations throughout the world? Since countries have quotas, one would think there would have be a list of sorts? I really don't know the specifics.

There are refugees waiting under UN oversight in Malaysia. Even though there may not be a traditional 'queue'... How do you make happy with the fact that poor people stay in the camps (waiting) and rich people get fast-tracked? If its not technically queue jumping, it's close to it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I thought the UNHCR was in charge of managing refugee relocations throughout the world? Since countries have quotas, one would think there would have be a list of sorts? I really don't know the specifics.

There are refugees waiting under UN oversight in Malaysia. Even though there may not be a traditional 'queue'... How do you make happy with the fact that poor people stay in the camps (waiting) and rich people get fast-tracked? If its not technically queue jumping, it's close to it.
    The rich people I think you're referring to are more likely via immigration - a different scenario. If you watched the video I posted you'd see that if you were in an asylum seekers shoes you wouldn't give a sh!t about queue jumping, you're probably more concerned with getting your family safe and away from torture and other such atrocities.

Queue jumping is not the issue, the issue is morality and what is the right and just treatment of human beings. Not whether they jumped a queue.

The whole "queue jumping" thing is a red herring designed to distract and complicate something which should not be complicated. It's a human rights issue.
    Last edited by babyla; 10-08-2012 at 19:00.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I don't think it's "rich" people getting fast tracked - I think it's those desperate enough to sell everything they own and beg or borrow the rest. Read some of their stories.
    I wonder how many awaiting processing in Malaysia would grab the chance of hopping on a boat. I imagine it would be a lot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I don't think it's "rich" people getting fast tracked - I think it's those desperate enough to sell everything they own and beg or borrow the rest. Read some of their stories.
    I wonder how many awaiting processing in Malaysia would grab the chance of hopping on a boat. I imagine it would be a lot.
    However you look at it the poor refugees are waiting in camps while the ones with enough worldly possessions to sell to raise $3,000 or more per head... Get a fastpass.

And if people have enough time to sell all their Worldly possessions then how come they don't have enough time to pack ID documents? They are are well planned, well calculated, well funded refugee journeys.. Can't blame people for doubting the legitimacy of some of the claims.
    Last edited by VicPark; 10-08-2012 at 19:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There is no point trying to discuss this issue with some people, as sadly, they just don't have an open mind.

No matter how much you tell them that 90-95% of these people are genuine, they just don't believe you, or concentrate their arguments on the small percentage of people who are not, and they always seem to forget that more people arrive by plane.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (10-08-2012),Jakois  (10-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    The rich people I think you're referring to are more likely via immigration - a different scenario. If you watched the video I posted you'd see that if you were in an asylum seekers shoes you wouldn't give a sh!t about queue jumping, you're probably more concerned with getting your family safe and away from torture and other such atrocities.

Queue jumping is not the issue, the issue is morality and what is the right and just treatment of human beings. Not whether they jumped a queue.

The whole "queue jumping" thing is a red herring designed to distract and complicate something which should not be complicated. It's a human rights issue.
    I can't watch now will watch shortly. Perhaps it will change my mind?

Thanks
    Reviews
    However you look at it the poor refugees are waiting in camps while the ones with enough worldly possessions to sell to raise $3,000 or more per head... Get a fastpass.

And if people have enough time to sell all their Worldly possessions then how come they don't have enough time to pack ID documents? They are are well planned, well calculated, well funded refugee journeys.. Can't blame people for doubting the legitimacy of some of the claims.
    Have you watched Go Back To Where You Came From or the video I posted? Where are you getting your information from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't watch now will watch shortly. Perhaps it will change my mind?
    We must have posted at the same time. I don't know if it will change your mind but maybe it will give you another view point - something else to base your opinions on. Sometimes we don't know what we don't know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There is no point trying to discuss this issue with some people, as sadly, they just don't have an open mind.

No matter how much you tell them that 90-95% of these people are genuine, they just don't believe you, or concentrate their arguments on the small percentage of people who are not, and they always seem to forget that more people arrive by plane.
    The fact that 90 -95% are genuine refugees is often lost on people who just haven't got it in them to be compassionate.

The facts/statistics really speak for themselves.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (10-08-2012)