+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dad drives me nuts on this issue. We have never gotten along well (though we've both been working on it for years) and our political opinions are 180 degrees from each other (he's Liberal, I'm Green).

Last time I stayed there, he came out first thing in the morning and said 321 (or something) more 'boat people' detained this morning (in an angry tone) and how they shouldn't be rescued from leaky boats etc... You what now? Let them DROWN in the ocean? It's like he has no compassion at all. Mum said he'd become obsessed with it lately and it's an every morning update. Drives her nuts as she doesn't agree with his politics and has opposing feelings about refugees, but doesn't say much for fear of making her life worse.

I sent him an email the next day, when I was home, with the whole 'if your life was so bad you chose to get onto said leaky boat to go somewhere better, wouldn't you deserve to be saved from drowning' arguement, and some figures about how most refugees arrive by plane and overstay visas....

I did not get a response. Some people have NO compassion at all. Gee, I wonder why we've never got along?!

Thank goodness my partner's parents have the opposite view.

By the way, I heard something in the news a while ago about an end to mandatory detention for kids especially ~ does anyone know the most recent on this???

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    This guy is fabulous! I used to listen to him on RRR on my way to work. He is the CEO of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre - and you know what...

...he makes things nice and easy to understand.

Kon Karapanagiotidis - Why So Frightened?

http://www.podcast.tv/video-episodes...-15322301.html
    I have only watched the first few minutes of this video but i love that man. What a compelling and compassionate presentation. Compulsory viewing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I have only watched the first few minutes of this video but i love that man. What a compelling and compassionate presentation. Compulsory viewing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    He is so inspirational. i used to listen to him on the radio and think how he just makes sense - it really is a moral issue, it's not political or economic yet people continue to try and swing it that way.

He runs the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre in Footscray.

Here is a link if you're interested;

http://www.asrc.org.au/the-centre/about-centre/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    By the way, I heard something in the news a while ago about an end to mandatory detention for kids especially ~ does anyone know the most recent on this???
    Anyone know how that would work? Would the parents be exempt also, or just the mother?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Far more humane to do onshore processing and cost effective as well...this shouldn't even be a issue..
    Last edited by Maybelline; 10-08-2012 at 17:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    My dad drives me nuts on this issue. We have never gotten along well (though we've both been working on it for years) and our political opinions are 180 degrees from each other (he's Liberal, I'm Green).

Last time I stayed there, he came out first thing in the morning and said 321 (or something) more 'boat people' detained this morning (in an angry tone) and how they shouldn't be rescued from leaky boats etc... You what now? Let them DROWN in the ocean? It's like he has no compassion at all. Mum said he'd become obsessed with it lately and it's an every morning update. Drives her nuts as she doesn't agree with his politics and has opposing feelings about refugees, but doesn't say much for fear of making her life worse.

I sent him an email the next day, when I was home, with the whole 'if your life was so bad you chose to get onto said leaky boat to go somewhere better, wouldn't you deserve to be saved from drowning' arguement, and some figures about how most refugees arrive by plane and overstay visas....

I did not get a response. Some people have NO compassion at all. Gee, I wonder why we've never got along?!

Thank goodness my partner's parents have the opposite view.

My dad and his wife are much the same, it's so frustrating. I do my level best not to discuss anything of this nature with them, it's just too upsetting, they aren't interested in facts and are much happier in their bigoted views. I have talked and talked about the facts, they don't want to know. Dad's wife has made comments in the past that really illustrate the type of person she is- "there was very little crime in Sth Africa until the blacks got civil rights- I'm JUST SAYING!" errrrghh. So infuriating!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    "there was very little crime in Sth Africa until the blacks got civil rights- I'm JUST SAYING!" errrrghh. So infuriating!
    My mouth dropped open when I read that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    My mouth dropped open when I read that!
    Same

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    "there was very little crime in Sth Africa until the blacks got civil rights- I'm JUST SAYING!" errrrghh. So infuriating!
    oh man, what do you say to that!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    oh man, what do you say to that!!
    My mouth fell open, I started stammering, DH kicked me under the table and I'm told I went purple. I spluttered something about generations of slavery and abuse. Someone else changed the subject and I quietly fumed until it was time to leave. She's got some interesting ideas, to say the least.