+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Exactly. Why do they insist on being so evil? The tone of the DT article posted early on was downright smug and self righteous!
    Because people love being enraged, and showing that these people are genuine does not make a good story or headline!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (10-08-2012),Jakois  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Because people love being enraged, and showing that these people are genuine does not make a good story or headline!
    True!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    This guy is fabulous! I used to listen to him on RRR on my way to work. He is the CEO of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre - and you know what...

...he makes things nice and easy to understand.

Kon Karapanagiotidis - Why So Frightened?

http://www.podcast.tv/video-episodes...-15322301.html
    Well one and a half beers later I got through the 25+ minutes. This fellow makes a lot of sense and you're right is easy to understand. I still think there are shady people that come on the illegal boats but this made me think more about the genuine refugees (don't let the bad overshadow the good).

A couple of things he said made me think:
    - refugee children in Darwin haven't been to school in 5 months. What the? I thought every kid in detention got an education. I know places in WA where kids are sent to the local primary school. If kids aren't getting an education then how come this isn't being publicized?
    - "what would you do if it's your child that was in detention?". Well I would be heartbroken for my bubba. I have never thought that extended detention for anyone is a good thing. Folks should be in detention for 6 months maximum. Then either send them home (non genuine) or let them be part of society. Keeping folks in limbo is not on.

Anyway this did make me think so thanks.

As mentioned before what we need is
    More 'refugee stories' in the media (to help the public understand) and also harsh punishments for any frauds.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyla  (11-08-2012),beebs  (11-08-2012),BornToBe  (11-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (11-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (10-08-2012),Witwicky  (12-08-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a 14 yo student who had fled her homeland with her mother and siblings.
    Her father had been killed in the war. Her mother was a soldier, to protect their village against the enemy.
    One night her mother went out to fight against raiders. But they got through.
    She watched her 12 yo sister, 9yo brother and 7yo sister be raped (thankfully not mutilated, so they were lucky) and was raped herself.
    She had also killed in defence of her family.
    At 14 I was horse mad, and spent my time reading Terry Pratchett novels.

Id be happy to have 100 'illegal' refugees arrive, to save the 1 'legal' refugee.
    We really have no idea how lucky we are here!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-08-2012),BaronessM  (11-08-2012),beebs  (11-08-2012),BornToBe  (11-08-2012),Witwicky  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I once did a performance piece called 'Transit Camp' for, and sponsored by, the Big West Festival. It was on a deserted piece of land next to a park adjacent the Maribyrnong (however you spell that) River. The piece went for 9 days and we did 2 performances a day, and spent weeks setting it up, performing, 6hrs on site every day. It was a makeshift refugee camp that could have been anywhere, and there were about 25-30 inhabitants, a dozen or so tents, and over 50 graves we built (in scorching sun). The amount of graves seemed quite overwhelming compared to the number of living souls in the camp. The whole thing covered maybe 3-4 acres.

It was designed to have a real effect on people and often did. First the audience group were allowed to roam the camp and interact with the inhabitants. I was a sick woman who had been left to die in a pathetically equipped First Aid tent. I was instructed not to interact much with crowd, and many people became quite distressed trying to give me water and help; as though the line between reality and theatre had blurred.

The crowd then wandered through the graveyard (they were gently led there in ways that did not seem obvious), and were then collected by a real estate agent character and female assistant who took them to the serene scene of a beautiful green lawn with a massive tree strung with white foam houses; whereby it became apparent they were really part of a tour of a new housing estate. Given brochures 'picture your life here,' etc. Invited up onto a giant raised walkway with picture frames framing the views of the river, and given the 'hard sell.' Many of the audience wanted to return to the camp, and were quite upset by the juxtaposition. As they were directed back to the carpark while the RE agent spoke to his assistant of hurrying them so the next tour could start, we'd all crept out from the tent and our places in the camp for a funeral procession to the graveyard. The carpark overlooked the graveyard, and the crowd stood transfixed as a bell tolled and we all stood looking bereft around a grave (I played a second character here, and had speedily changed into new costume while the crowd had their RE tour). Eventually we all melted back into the camp, and the audience disappeared into their cars.

It was extremely well written and designed, and had a major effect upon me as well as the community. It got rave reviews but not huge audiences. All the tents, supplies and props were donated to the AS resource centre afterwards, I seem to remember. It was an amazing piece of theatre, something I'll never forget.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-08-2012),beebs  (11-08-2012),Witwicky  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Well one and a half beers later I got through the 25+ minutes. This fellow makes a lot of sense and you're right is easy to understand. I still think there are shady people that come on the illegal boats but this made me think more about the genuine refugees (don't let the bad overshadow the good).

A couple of things he said made me think:
    - refugee children in Darwin haven't been to school in 5 months. What the? I thought every kid in detention got an education. I know places in WA where kids are sent to the local primary school. If kids aren't getting an education then how come this isn't being publicized?
    - "what would you do if it's your child that was in detention?". Well I would be heartbroken for my bubba. I have never thought that extended detention for anyone is a good thing. Folks should be in detention for 6 months maximum. Then either send them home (non genuine) or let them be part of society. Keeping folks in limbo is not on.

Anyway this did make me think so thanks.

As mentioned before what we need is
    More 'refugee stories' in the media (to help the public understand) and also harsh punishments for any frauds.
    I'm glad you got a chance to watch it over a couple of beers

I agree with you extended detention sucks and there do need to be more stories in the media. The problem is that the issue of asylum seekers has become a political game - every time there is an election on it becomes a hot issue. When really it should not be a cheap grab for votes based on scare mongering.

We hardly take any asylum seekers at all - .23% of the worlds refugees.

Here are some quick statistics regarding asylum seekers in Australia: (they're from Kon's website, same guy in the video)

http://www.asrc.org.au/media/documen...etention__.pdf

http://www.asrc.org.au/media/documen...m-seekers_.pdf

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I got into a very heated discussion this morning with a complete stranger (!) about asylum seekers (he called them 'illegal boat people'). He was commenting on an amnesty T-shirt that I was wearing.

There are so many misconceptions surrounding refugees, it makes my blood boil! Why are people so averse to HELPING other humans in need. We are ALL humans. Why are there so many incorrect facts circulating about refugees coming to Australia?!

This has been a turning point for me. I have always donated to amnesty but I'm going to start getting actively involved in campaigning for human rights. I have had enough.

End rant.
    What I find amazing is how people act like this land is theirs and no one elses simply because they were lucky enough to be born here.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-08-2012),Witwicky  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Asylum seekers (frustration)

Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    What I find amazing is how people act like this land is theirs and no one elses simply because they were lucky enough to be born here.
    Exactly. We are all people. Asylum seekers are just as deserving of peace and freedom as we are. Why should they be denied what we take for granted just because they were born on another chunk of land?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (19-08-2012)