+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Cows Milk :)

Apologies if this is in the wrong section and if its been done many times but I just wanted to know at what age exactley did you start your lo on cows milk? Im finding so many different opinions on Google so would love to know from the lovely ladies of Bubhub instead Thanks!

ETA: Also did you have to slowly wean onto cows milk or was it just a straight swap?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 10-08-2012 at 11:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started DS on cows milk when he was just over 12 months on my doctors recommendation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FemmeFatale For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We started on cows milk just after 12 months too.

Started with a sippy cup smoothy each day and now at 15 months he has two milk drinks a day and only one formula bottle before bed time

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumpy Melon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    11 months we did a straight swap. MHCN said it was fine to do so, Billy was a good sized baby (after starting off life at a teeny 2 kilos) so she said he would be fine. And he was.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didn't, I kept him on some of his formula until I thought he was getting all his nutrients from his food ( about 18 months) he does have a smoothie every afternoon which is either A2 milk, goats milk or almond milk ( whatever I have opened!) apart from that he drinks water

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    11mths I started giving DD a taste of it with her lunch. Just an inch or so in a sippy cup. After a few days of that with no dramas, I also introduced it at breakfast. Two weeks later, she has about 100ml at breakfast and lunch now. She'd probably happily take more though. We still breastfeed first thing in the morning and last thing at night, no great plans to wean those though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drewid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started to wean at 10mths, from memory i think we added cow's milk to her weet-bix from 8mths.
    She was formula fed from 5 mths old so we just started out by topping up 1/4 of her formula with cows milk. Then 1/2 then 3/4 of cow's milk over a couple of months untill she was just having a full sippy cup of cows milk at 12mths old.
    She weaned herself off bottles and was using sippy cups at 9mths old.
    We never had any problems choosing to start the weaning process earlier than whats 'reccomended'. Every baby is different.Go with what you feel is right.
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 10-08-2012 at 13:52.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunkamunka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks ladies! My DS is 11 months old this weekend and has been formula fed since a few days old so thought I should start researching about it Right now he has breakfast, then a bottle (formula) mid morning, then lunch, then another bottle mid afternoon, dinner, and a bigger bottle just before bed. He still wakes up to twice a night for a bottle, sometimes only once. We have tried settling him without it but its all he wants so Im pretty confused about the whole process!

He also wont drink anything other than his formula. We tried sippy cups of water (all sorts of cups) and he wont drink it and we have also tried giving him water in one of his bottles but he just wont drink anything else so Im a bit worried about the transition. He has however had a little bit of cows milk in his oats for 2 months now so I guess we will just have to wait n see at the time. Thanks again ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At 13 months I dropped the daytime formula and he just had one nighttime formula bottle now at 15months he has only cows milk as he eats a pretty good balanced diet.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to our4boys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    Thanks ladies! My DS is 11 months old this weekend and has been formula fed since a few days old so thought I should start researching about it Right now he has breakfast, then a bottle (formula) mid morning, then lunch, then another bottle mid afternoon, dinner, and a bigger bottle just before bed. He still wakes up to twice a night for a bottle, sometimes only once. We have tried settling him without it but its all he wants so Im pretty confused about the whole process!

He also wont drink anything other than his formula. We tried sippy cups of water (all sorts of cups) and he wont drink it and we have also tried giving him water in one of his bottles but he just wont drink anything else so Im a bit worried about the transition. He has however had a little bit of cows milk in his oats for 2 months now so I guess we will just have to wait n see at the time. Thanks again ladies

Id just take it slow and steady. He wont even notice if you choose to top up a bottle with a bit of cow's milk and increase it gradually - that way he gradually gets used to the tatse and the texture changes slowly for him. Pretty sure my dd didnt even notice a difference the day we offerd her a full cup of cow's milk because we diluted it so slowly over time.
    If he's waking during the night for bottles maybe try increasing his solids thru out the day (include snacks between meals - yoghurt,cheese,dried fruit,bickies). Try and give him a hearty dinner (pasta is good) followed by the bottle just b4 bed. Remembering cow's milk wont give that "full feeling" that formula does , so you will probably need to up the solids when you decide to introduce cow's milk to his bottles. By then he might drop a bottle because its replaced with morning/arvo tea like a yoghurt/fruit ect.
    Maybe have a sippy cup/bottle of water at his level that he can help himself to thru out the day.
    goodluck sounds like ur doing a great job
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 10-08-2012 at 19:27.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunkamunka For This Useful Post: