+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 11mths old - how many day sleeps?

DS has started to wake very early in the mornings and is also taking 45mins to settle at night. It's been suggested in another thread that I drop from 2 to 1 day sleep and this should help.

The thought of this freaks me out as he seems to need 2 sleeps during the day. I also like the 2 breaks I'll admit! But the 5.30am starts are really killing me now as I'm pregnant again.

So....are any others out there down to only 1 day sleep now too?? How did you transition from 2 to 1?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At 11.5 months DS was transitioning to one nap. His second nap kept getting later in the afternoon and it was taking forever to get him to sleep for it so if he wasn't asleep in 10-15 minutes I'd give up. I moved his dinner/bed routine forward to give him an earlier bedtime (6pm instead of 7:30) until he got used to it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump for night crew

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd is 10.5 months and has 2 daytime naps. She is also taking longer to settle overnight, but she was taking longer to settle during the day until I took drastic action last week. I'm hoping her overnight settling goes back to normal soon. I don't think it's got anything to do with her daytime naps and more to do with her brain development and her interest in what is going on in the world!

She usually wakes at 7 - 7:30am and has a morning nap at 9:30 - 10am for 1.5 hours most days (sometimes only 45 mins, sometimes 3 hours). Then she has another nap around 2pm, but usually only 45 minutes long. That's it for the day and she goes down for the night at 7pm. She is waking for at least 1 (if not 2 and rarely 3) feeds overnight.

I'm with you and dreading dropping her down to 1 daytime nap. But I remember my ds would have 2 naps of 45 - 90 minutes in length (usually 2 x 45 minutes) and then he went to 1 nap a day (at around 15 months) and usually slept for 3 hours, so it was fantastic really. But, my ds is now in Kinder (5 days a week) so a big afternoon nap is not going to be an option around here for my dd so I'm not sure what she'll do when she goes to 1 daytime nap.

On a side note I took drastic action last week as she was getting so much harder to settle. Physically I couldn't manage it anymore (I have bad coccyx pain) and my dh was going away and my mum was going to help me a bit (when i worked), but she had a fall and could hardly use one arm. So, bottom line was prolonged cuddles/etc was out of the question. But, I didn't want to leave her to cry. So, I would get her ready for sleep the moment she looked tired and snuggle her on my lap like I was going to rock her to sleep, but I'd read her a short book and then put her in her cot and say 'have a good sleep' and walk out. She might grizzle or even give 1 or 2 cries, but invariably once I shut the door she didn't complain. I have a video monitor and that has helped my confidence with this. I'd then watch her and see what she did. She would wriggle around the cot and at least 50% of the time she would end up standing or sitting and playing with her dummy. But, the rest of the time she would be still lying down. But, that first try usually didn't result in her going to sleep (but within a few days it did work maybe 30% of the time - miracle!). So, if she cried or was up to mischief (bouncing & standing up!) then I would go in and lie her down again, put the blanket over her and say 'time for sleep'. And so on. The thing was that if I was sure she was tired I would go in as soon as she cried, but she would settle a lot quicker (eg. 5 minutes instead of 20) and some of the time she self settled completely. And at other times I realised that she just did not want to sleep.

Having that opportunity to walk out of the room, grab a bite to eat or a drink, or talk to my ds or dh whilst settling helped with my stress levels. Sitting in the rocking chair with a baby that needed sleep but wasn't going to sleep while my pain levels increased was extremely distressing and frustrating.

We're now 10 days down the track since I started this. I do settle her in my arms sometimes (maybe 30% of the time) but I find she's now self settling about 50% of the time which given that it hadn't happened for 6 - 8 weeks previously is fantastic.

I hope you can get some improvement in sleep soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my 6.5month old only has one sleep during the day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mim - thank you

DS used to self settle perfectly within 5-10mins of going to bed. But the last couple of weeks he is still jabbering away after 45mins so I go and rock him. By this time it's 7.45pm so too late to leave him keep going. By then he's over tired too sometimes - other times he's wide awake! That's why I thinking perhaps he's getting too much sleep during the day now??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD is 10 months old and was down to 1 day sleep at 6 months! She sleeps from about 8pm to about 8am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    DD is 10 months old and was down to 1 day sleep at 6 months! She sleeps from about 8pm to about 8am.
    You poor thing! So how did you stretch the morning sleep longer so that 1 sleep is at lunch time instead?

DS currently goes to bed around 9.30 for 1.5hrs, then again at about 2pm for 1.5hrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6.5 month old only has one sleep. there is no stretching the morning sleep necessary, he just isn't that tired.

My dd dropped all day sleeps between 9 months and 12 months.

My kids just don't sleep that much. (and still wake overnight)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    You poor thing! So how did you stretch the morning sleep longer so that 1 sleep is at lunch time instead?

DS currently goes to bed around 9.30 for 1.5hrs, then again at about 2pm for 1.5hrs.
    She just seems to last longer without needing sleep, and I don't have a set routine or anything so I go with the flow. If she happens to get up at 7am or earlier (rare), she might actually end up having two naps, and does seem to get tired and grumpy earlier in the day. But if she gets up after 8am she can easily go until 2pm before showing tired signs or getting grumpy. DS was the same, so it appears I make babies who don't have a particularly high sleep requirement.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (10-08-2012)