+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feeling a little down.. And stressed.

So this pregnancy hasn't been the easiest. Aside from still having morning sickness at 24 weeks, fatigue and bad SPD... It's been a worry filled 5+ months. First we had a couple significant bleeds in the first tri, due to a subchorionic hematoma.. Which thankfully resolved itself by my Morph scan at 19 weeks.. But only to find out then that I had a Grade 4 Placenta Previa. I know they usually say low lying placentas can move up as u progress, but mine is positioned in such a way (cervix is smack bang in the middle of placenta) that the doctor at the u/s place and locum OB (my usual OB was on leave) both said they doubted my placenta would move. So any consideration of a VBac went out the window.. Which I was fine with. My first c-sec was great, seeing bub from behind the curtain, first moments with bub skin to skin.. I loved every minute of it. I also managed to come to terms with the fact that I may have a few more bleeding episodes due to the previa.

But then more bad news. I saw my OB yesterday, and he's recommending I do my c-section under GA - My placenta is attached very close to my previous c-sec scar, so I'm at risk for Placenta Accreta. He's predicting I'll have a lot of bleeding, and it's safer for me to go under GA. Also, if it is Accreta, he says 90% chance I'll have a hysterectomy, and he wanted me to be prepared for the possibility. Plus he's predicting I'll have a few major bleeds before bub is due, with possibly a stint of bed rest in hospital, so now I'm all scared over the Previa situation again.

It was a lot to take in. First I'm so disappointed that I'll miss out on my little girl's first moments in this world.. I know the GA is the safer option and I'm ok with that, but it's still disappointing. Second, I'm scared of having like a huge gush of blood or something, and just not being able to handle it, have a massive freak out etc

Third, the thought of a hysterectomy terrifies me. Plus we really wanted no. 3.. don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to be able to have kids at all, couple yrs ago we didn't think we'd get here.. But after being able to successfully get pregnant thru IVF, I just assumed I would have the 3 kids we wanted.

I know it's too early to be stressing about the worse case scenario.. it's just taking me a while to digest all the news I guess.. Sorry about the vent but needed to get it out. And was hoping someone would have positive thoughts or stories to share..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear all that you poor thing try not to stress, i hope everything works out well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't been in your position before an have no experience with these things but I just read your post and wanted to offer massive hugs xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will say though that myself and my sister were born via c section and mum had general anaethestics with both of us. While she was disappointed she made up for not seeing us in our first moments and went on to successfully breastfeed and bond with us which she was told she probably wouldn't do so don't let anyone be negative about that aspect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    that is a lot to deal with. No words, just lots of hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the hugs girls..

Larissa, that's another worry of mine. After reading all about how important skin to skin contact is, I'm really worried about bonding with bub. I never successfully got DD1 to take to the boob, and I was hoping it'd be better this time...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default a few options

Oh Jo7, Im sorry you are having such a difficult time. That really is a lot to deal with. I have never been in this situation myself but still just wanted to send my support. I also would like to encourage you to try not to stress too much about things you cant change. It is very understandable that you are upset to find out that you have an increased risk of a hysterectomy but I am sure that the staff looking after you will do everything they can to prevent this.

In regards to the GA there are a few things that you could think about doing that might ease your concerns. Some that spring to my mind are....

You could ask your doctor if they would be able to do and epidural/spinal to start with and then after you have seen your baby born they can convert to a GA. It had the benefits of not only seeing bub born but also the epidural is then used for pain managment after you wake up from your GA. I have seen this done before but of course you will have to ask your ob and anaesthetist if this would be ok for your situation.

Also if skin to skin is important to you, you can ask that the midwife puts bub on your chest in theatre even if you are asleep. You might not be aware of it at the time but bub will still get the benefits. This really should not be difficult to do at all. You could also sleep with a blanket or toy down your top for the days leading up to your c/sec and then bub would be wrapped in this blanket after he/she is born.

You could also ask to have baby stay in theatre with your partner and a midwife so that as soon as you wake up and are ready then baby can again get placed skin to skin. This may be against normal policy at your hospital but if you ask the right person and explain how important early bonding is to you... (By the way do you realise that your partner can have babe skin to skin while you are not able to? He might need to remember to wear a button front shirt on that day!).

Also in regards to feeding, have you heard of antenatal expressing? In the last few weeks of your pregnancy you can hand express colostrum (or if you leak you just collect what is leaking out in a syringe). You just keep it in the freezer and then take to the hospital on the day of your c/sec. That way even if you are under the GA for a little while babe is able to be given a little bit of your milk. This is some thing you would have to talk to the midwives looking after you about (it might not be a great idea if you are at risk of preterm labour).

Anyway sorry about the big long ramble but my point is that you do have options..... and many of these things might help you feel more bonded with your babe and more satisfied that you have given you baby the best possible start to life- even with the difficult situation that you have found youself in.