+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree that it's best to have your ob assess your situation to see what is best for you.
    But I'm going to say that recovery is not always faster if you go natural, there are always exceptions, with my first my recovery took a loooong time, (was a natural birth) my second was also natural but felt "back to normal" within a couple wks.
    My first was drug free, second I had pethidine, which they say can cause breathing issues (although for us it didn't) and that it makes babies lethargic therefore they don't feed well hindering the bonding process, I felt that I bonded way faster with my second ( as I'm sure most ppl do) despite the drugs. I really feel that all this "bonding" research/facts drives me insane! But that's just me
    What I'm saying is everyone is different and every pregnancy different, I've had 2 natural both very different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had two elective caesareans and they were both fantastic experiences! My daughters are both healthy and have no health issues other than a mild peanut allergy in dd1 - but dh has chronic asthma and I have allergies to a few things.
    The births were both relaxed and I felt comfortable for both me and my babies having them that way. I found the recovery was easier with the second as I had been through it before and knew what to expect more. dd1 wasnt allowed to come with me to recovery when she was born (hospital policy) so stayed with dh, but dd2 didn't leave me at all except for the initial look over and weigh by the pediatrician.
    I chose c-sections and have never been in labour so I can't give much of an opinion on natural birth but my advice for anyone is do what make you comfortable and happy - its your body and your baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elective c-sections will be very different experience to emergency c-sections. Likewise, elective c-section for medical reasons will be different from elective c-sections when both mum and bub are healthy.

In the same way that vaginal births will differ and have different outcomes for mother and bub, e.g. drug free, epidural, forceps etc, c-sections can be very different depending on circumstances to have them.

Usually people who have bad experiences with c-sections had an emergency c-section. Those who have elective c-section lifestyle/choice (not medical) reasons mostly have a good experience.

That being said, I had a vaginal birth and plan to have it again in the future. However, if there was a risk that would increase chances of having an emergency c-section, I would opt for an elective c-section instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!!

I was asked to research both sides of the argument for my therapist who is trying to get me through my fears and anxiety related to natural birth.

This has really helped to clear things up for me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry... there is 'often' bonding issues after a ceaser? Just curious where this info comes from? I don't personally know anyone who has had attachment issues after a ceaser.. but can think of 3 people who had PND after a vaginal delivery.

My mum had PND after vaginally delivering my sister, and no issues whatsoever with me being surgically removed from her belly. My son was delivered via ceaser, I waited 9 hours to meet him and still had no bonding issues. My milk took a week to come in, but I breastfed until he self-weaned at 17.5 months.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-08-2012),Zombie_eyes  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This, I have had 2 c/sections and a VB and I have come to the conclusion that it really is based on your own circumstances, are you healthy? Do you have any medical issues that may interfere with a VB or may put you at higher risk for infection? etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I think it depends on your personal circumstance?

Has there been a medical reason/concern/discussion about you needing a c-sect or it is an elective c-sect compared to elective vaginal birth?

Not judging either way, I just think it makes a big difference to my response is all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I had an elective csec as bub was breech. It was awesome. No pain. Easy (no sweat, tears, pooping). I breastfed bub in recovery and there were no bonding issues. Sure I couldn't run for 6 weeks but hubby did the washing, cleaning and cooking so that worked out.

I haven't had a natural birth though so I can't compare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    with c section there is a higher rate of baby needing assistance to breathe and admittance to a special care nursery.
    with c section, baby misses out on exposure to the natural bugs in the vagina potentially causing gut and other issues.
    with c section, if done prior to labour, greater chance of baby being born before they are ready.
    with c section the umbilical cord is usually cut prematurely.
    with c section, greater risk of infection to mum
    with c section, bowel can be damaged or temporarily paralysed (due to damage or effect of drugs)
    with c section, increased risk of respiratory issues for mum and baby
    after a c section, subsequent births are more likely to be c sections. the more c sections, the greater risk to baby and mum
    with subsequent pregnancies after a c section, greater chance of placenta previa.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Overall risks with both vaginal birth and a c section though some different ones and probably more risk in the c section purely due to the operative nature and anesthetic. Use of anesthetic means risks go up always with whatever procedure it is. Doesn't mean they will or won't happen, it's just possibilities it could

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Peaze For This Useful Post:

larissa88  (10-08-2012)