+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks ladies!!

I am just genuinely interested in both sides of the argument just so I am best informed, and I appreciate keeping it respectful too

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peaze For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (09-08-2012)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A natural vaginal birth carries far less risks than major abdominal surgery. There is so much information out there about this topic.

For the record. My first child was an emergency cesarean after a long induced labor. He has severe asthma. My daughter was a completely drug free labor and has not yet developed any asthma. Obviously I will always wonder how much of an impact my sons bith had on his health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    All going well, a natural birth has a quicker recovery period than a csection. With a csection you have just had major abdominal surgery, so on top of caring for your new baby as well as yourself, you have a wound to look after and consider too.
    Csection scars can pose a risk for future pregnancies, a small risk, but a risk none the less.
    With a natural birth you can have skin to skin contact for as long as you want, have your baby do a breast crawl, and just start bonding with your little babe. It's not the same most for csections, where you have to go to recovery and recover from the surgery and drugs.
    Natural birth you can go home within hours if you feel up to it, csection you have to stay in hospital for 3+ days.
    Csections can hinder your milk production because the hormones your body produces while in labour hasn't kick started your milk production.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of the negatives are to do with the fact that a C-section is a major surgery. Whilst obviously there are risks with a vaginal delivery too, surgical delivery means increased risk of infection, organ damage, severe bleeding, scar tissue (which can cause problems later on) and generally a longer/more difficult recovery.

For baby, the main one I know of is increased breathing problems (which has already been mentioned). Also higher incidence of problems with milk production, attachment etc. if you intend to breastfeed.

As with anything though, it's up to the individual to weigh the positives and negatives and decide what's best in their case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd like to hear your story if possible anjalee

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's one of those situations (like most pregnancy/baby related things) everyones experience is different.

I had a c-section as per my obs wishes (first time mum, just went along with everything my ob said) but I really don't regret it. I held bub straight away, I had her with me all throughout recovery and she never left my side in hospital, we bonded fantastically, my milk came in quickly, she has no breathing problems, my recovery was super easy with minimal pain. Now I know I had it easy, I've heard horror c-section stories. But thought I'd share mine too

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Persinally op, i wouldnt base my decision on thread responses. Opinions arent science. Talk to your health care provider and do a lot of research with factual statistics that are free from bias and one sided agenda's.

(im not having a dig at anyone in this thread...im just sayin...)

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (09-08-2012),Bubbles10  (09-08-2012),bumMum  (09-08-2012),Buttoneska  (09-08-2012),Cue  (10-08-2012),Gandalf  (09-08-2012),wrena  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anjalee my story is very similar to yours.
    However I had Choleostasis ( pregnancy induced liver issue) which can cause stillborn so I was induced immedietly ...which failed and after over 24 hours went to emergency c section.

I really enjoyed the whole experience despite everything and DD never left me. They spent a few minutes checking her as soon as she came out then was put on my chest and remained there ( for hours!)
    Milk came in, bonded extremely well, healed fantastically, no complaints!
    Actually DH had to do all the housework for 6 weeks bonus! Hahahahahaha

I believe c sections can save lives ( when used in the right sitauation: an emergency) and my babies head was stuck so there was no other way for us. Really I think the whole procedure was amazing. I am tiny and she was nearly 9 pound so even if I wasn't induced she may have been too big anyway? No one can know the answer to that I guess.....

Of course natural is best no one will dispute that but keep an open mind because sometimes we don't get a choice in these things. That's nature.

Good luck xxxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in labour for 20 hrs. My baby was big and stuck and the midwife was yelling at me for not pushing properly. We ended up with forcepts and me a 4th degree tear. Next time im have a c-section,

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it depends on your personal circumstance?

Has there been a medical reason/concern/discussion about you needing a c-sect or it is an elective c-sect compared to elective vaginal birth?

Not judging either way, I just think it makes a big difference to my response is all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-08-2012)