+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default what can I ask my au pair to do?

hi, now that my baby is 1.5 yrs old, I would love to go back to work but not sending him to childcare, I think an au pair is a good option, but what kindof work do they do, do they care babies? do they drive?
    Last edited by katecurson; 09-08-2012 at 14:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. I don't know much about them, would be good to hear from someone who hires one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had two. They drive, babysit, take my lil one to weekly 3hr playgroup, do school and daycare pick ups and drop offs, weekly house cleaning, all kids washing and tidying up after kids, unload and load dishwasher when she's working. Ummmm that's all I get mine to do really

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going to become an au pair but things fell through with the family...

It really depends. Some people use an au pair as 'mothers help' while others have sole charge of the child/ren.

Most are responsible for cleaning on some level - either maintaining children's areas or cleaning the whole house. Each will have their preference.

Most drive but some do not. Generally driving your car.

You provide everything - room, tv, food, usually Internet. Some families provide phones, cars for private use. You also pay them a small wage usually $150 - $200 a week. Hours and tasks are completely negotiable but they're NOT slaves.

Try aupairworld.net

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked as a non-live-in nanny for years. Tasks include all childcare duties, and housework relating to the children..eg their washing, changing their sheets, helping with homework and cooking/feeding them dinner etc. It didn't include general housework like vacuuming or bathrooms or ironing...you hire a CLEANER for that!
    Last edited by cakeish; 09-08-2012 at 14:23.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, about the comment from cakeish, I do not agree, as if you are paying about$240 per week to the au pair, is to save money, otherwise is to pay $240 au pair plus min $100 cleaner for only 4 hours, = $340 au pairs do housework as well, not bathrooms but they do ironing!, they vacuum as well
    Just have a look at this videos ;http://www.youtube.com/AupairAustralia100

Thanks
    Reviews
    My au pair agencies have always said normal household cleaning is fine. As in 'pitching in like any housemate should'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm an au pair, I work 45 hours a week. I have sole care of the kids during the week do preschool and school drop offs, take to classes, play dates etc, cook dinner and lunch for the kids, do the kids laundry, make their beds, clean their rooms and play room don't clean the rest of house though/ the cleaner does that of course I tidy kitchen etc when I'm there

they provide me with a room, tv, Internet, phone, car and all meals and I get a small wage each week too

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was an au pair. A nanny & an au pair are different, which is why cakeish doesn't clean I guess. I did everything for the kids, plus I cleaned the whole house apart from the parents' bedroom/en suite. I did all the grocery shopping, cooked all the family meals etc. I was happy to do that stuff though - they would have been happy for me to just do stuff for the kids but I would have eaten chicken kiev & oven chips every night if I hadn't cooked proper meals!