+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default humidifier ?

Everyone had some chest infection. Our placeis quite dry as we run central heating there's no place to put a plate of water out.

What is everyone's advice re humidifier ?
    What features do I need, where do I get them? Dept stores have fancy $$$$ ones and I don't really want to wait for ebay cuz we're sick now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear! Sorry to hear your family's unwell. We used a humidifier (although I call it a vaporiser) whenever our 3yo has a respiratory illness. Ours is just a very basic one (from Vicks - although we bought it when we lived in Asia and I don't know if they sell them here - it did only cost about $40AUD) that you just fill with cold tap water, replace the 'lid', and plug in. There's also a little indentation in the 'lid' where you can put a drop of eucalyptus oil or Vicks Vaporub if you want. And the vaporiser I used as a kid was pretty much the same.

I've just discovered that some vaporisers have a little 'guard' over the bit where the steam comes out of so that little hands don't get burned on hot steam - that might be a handy feature if your child is likely to touch it.

If you've got a big discount pharmacy nearby (Chemist Warehouse, for example) I'd give them a try. Hope you all get better soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in Sydney CBD now, and I can't think of any really big place. Chemist Warehouse shut down a while back...

I did lots of searches online but only came up with ebay links, I wonder if we're out of season for these?

I had one living in Jp and it blows out cold vapor and doens't use heat. It had a big tank about 2L, but the ones I see online are like little cups

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I live in Melbourne so not sure about Sydney. Every chemist I have been into sells vaporisers (usually vicks brand about $50) maybe give your local chemists a call and see if they have any in stock.

Thanks
    Reviews
    found the vicks one, the only one existing...

not many stores have them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've got this one and happy with it, does the job.

http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product....team+Vaporiser

Thanks
    Reviews
    Didn't like the vicks very much, it was very hot, well, hotter than I would like. Also a bit noisy, tho you would get used to it.

Found an 'ultrasonic' one, waiting for delivery and a bit worried about the mess our hard water will cause. What can you do tho...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default humidifier ?

I've got the Vicks one, I don't find it noisy at all, the quiet bubbling noise actually is rather soothing for my son. We love it, its perfect for putting moisture back into the air and helping to breathe nicely

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I got one the other day from the chemist - its an 'extra life' 'silent steam Euky Bear' vaporiser. It was that or the Vicks one but the shop assistant said the vicks one is noisier so I paid $60 or $70 for this one but it's totally silent. Can't even hear it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm typing this at 4am Thu because I can't sleep with my cough.

I ended up ordering an IonMax Ion60 from Sleep Solutions http://www.sleepsolutions.com.au because they were based in Sydney. It wasn't the cheapest and there were lots of other online stores which were mostly in Vic.

As you know we haven't really had good sleep for a few weeks now, so on Mon I was frantically calling around to see which of these sites could deliver. Most sites said they would ship the same day if ordered by 1pm, and I was careless because Sleep Solutions doesn't make this claim.

Anyway the other guys in Sydney I couldn't get thru via phone (I later found out he was in hospital) so the only person I reached were Sleep Solutions. They said they had stock, I couldn't pick up from St Leonards as it was in their warehouse in Wetherill Park. They said normal shipping should arrive on Tue or Wed. OK that's fine, Vic stores quoted Wed or Thu.

Wed comes and goes and nothing. I shoot off an email at 8pm and I get a reply
    "It was shipped today via Fastway tracking number ....."

Really? Two days before they even think about shipping it? And it was about $20 more than the cost from other sites? I check the fastway site and it says "Label '.....' doesnt have any scans"
    I get a "The status of order #... is now Shipped." email from Sleep Solutions at 0:08 am THURSDAY. Obviously it hadn't even been picked up yet and they only registered a pickup online. Would I even get it tomorrow?

Obviously I do not recommend buying from Sleep Solutions because I can't think of anything worse than calling someone just before making an order and to have the order ignored until you ask them why it hasn't arrived.