+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any BFing mums had to give formula for just a few days due to meds?

I'm feeling a bit conflicted about the whole affair after speaking to my GP, the pharmacist, the ABA and the hospital's drug information helpline, but the bottom line is this: I've got to take some medication (just a one-off dose) that won't leave my system for 72hrs and I won't be able to breastfeed, so I'm going to have to give my 15wk-old DS formula. [NB: I won't be able to express enough to cover three days, either.]

I'm researching other threads here on BubHub as to which formula to buy (it's SO confusing!) and boning up on how to sterilise bottles and breast pumps etc. I've currently also got the flu, which doesn't help, but I think that I'll try to express as much BM as possible before I start the meds (maybe in a few days' time) so that I can at least give DS a bit more protection against the bugs going around our household.

I'm also dreading the engorgement that'll come from not BFing, even if I pump n' dump.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in the situation before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I havent but a friend has, it is do-able. pump and dump often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have

When DS1 was 10 months old I had a round of IVF.
    Some of the drugs I needed to take during a couple of days weren't any good for bub.

I fed DS formula or EBM and pumped and dumped my milk at the normal feed times, to keep my supply up. Great news was i didn't have to sterilise the expressing equipment as I wasn't using the milk, so that saved time.

DS coped really well with it, and it was fine for me.

I just used S26, ad I think choosing a formula is just go with one and see how you go, and if bub likes the taste.

How old is your bub?
    My current bub won't take a bottle, but we have managed to get him to have a bottle of formula through a sippy cup. He dislikes bottles. He is exclusively BF, but I wanted to try and get him onto the occasional bottle so I could go out without him.

My understanding is that current thinking is there is no need to sterilise bottles anymore, just give them a good wash in hot soapy water. This makes sense, because as soon as you pull out a sterilised bottle,it is contaminated anyway.
    If you wish to go down that road, boil bottles in water for 5 minutes, or use Milton's solution. Otherwise there are electric sterilisers too.
    No sterilising is necessary after 6 months. Bub is chewing on my shoes and licking the floor - I'm sure he will cope with normal microbes!

Any other questions I'm more than happy to help.

Bub went back to my b00b with no problems afterwards, too.

ETA - saw your bub is 15 weeks. Have you tried bub on formula yet?? Worth trying to see if he will take it, and try a coupe of different bottles or cups if needed.
    Last edited by moongazer; 09-08-2012 at 15:09.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moongazer View Post
    ETA - saw your bub is 15 weeks. Have you tried bub on formula yet?? Worth trying to see if he will take it, and try a coupe of different bottles or cups if needed.
    Thanks, Moongazer! You're a star

No, I haven't tried him on formula yet - or a bottle (I've been too busy or too lazy - BFing is just so convenient for me). My theory is that if he's hungry enough he'll take it. I'll start him off with EMB in a bottle, so even if the method of delivery is unfamiliar, at least the milk won't be. Then, hopefully, receiving a bottle of formula won't be as foreign to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update: I'm so proud of myself - I just expressed 180ml out of one boob! I haven't expressed in nearly two years, so I reckon I did all right there (wasn't a hardship to put my feet up and pump while watching the rhythmic gymnastics!).

Is 180ml enough for one feed?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaShanty For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    MY breastfed son only takes around 100ml when he takes ebm.

Have you spoken to Rodney Whyte at Monash re the medicine ?

I have received conflicting info on meds but would always go by the info from Rodney because i know their info is based on latest research.

good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaShanty View Post
    Update: I'm so proud of myself - I just expressed 180ml out of one boob! I haven't expressed in nearly two years, so I reckon I did all right there (wasn't a hardship to put my feet up and pump while watching the rhythmic gymnastics!).

Is 180ml enough for one feed?
    Awesome work!!! I find relaxing and drinking a glass of water as I start really helps. My boy is 15 weeks but very big (8kg ish) and he usually has 200-220ml per feed.

The general rule is 150ml per kg of body weight divided by no of feeds. So for us it would be 150 x 8 / 6 = 200ml.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good work! It depends on how old bub is. I read somewhere that they can have anywhere from 60-350ml depending on time of day.
    Best of luck, it certainly sounds doable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would definitely be doing a trial first.. my dd will NOT drink formula or use a bottle.. I tried.and.tried.
    I got very very bad gastro when she was only a few weeks old and she drank expressed milk from a little cup for my mum. This is all that worked. She started drinking from a straw at 6 months so if I needed to be away she would have that. It is manageable. But my experience was that it was pretty challenging.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to. When DD was 2 weeks old I was back in hospital with suspected DVT from my c-sec. They had to do a MRI I think it was and the die they inject into you meant I couldnt BF for 48 hours. My Mum came and stayed for a couple days and she or hubby would give DD a bottle while I pumped and dumped. It took a few days afterwards to get my supply back under control and the effects of the formula to leave DD's system. It didnt really agree with her at all the poor thing. If you have the opportunity to pump in advance then I would definately recommend doing that so you have as much as possible stored. Unfortunately they didnt tell me until I was being wheeled in for the test that I wasnt going to be able to BF afterwards.