+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Early waking & still tired

DS (11mths) always goes to bed at 7pm and used to wake anywhere from 6.30am onwards - fine, no problems.

For the past 2 weeks though, he wakes at around 5.30am and won't go back to sleep in his cot no matter what I try. Occasionally he'll go back to sleep with me in bed, but usually he thinks it's party time. It's not!!!

I'm currently pregnant with no#2 and these early mornings are killing me. Not to mention DS is definitely still tired because he's grumpy until his morning sleep now. Also he's been taking about 45mins to go to sleep, which used to be 10mins.

He only sleeps twice during the day for 1.5hrs each. He certainly isn't ready to drop to 1 sleep yet (neither am I ).

Any advice I can try? Please?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We had the same problem and we did drop to one sleep. Then he started sleeping in longer. He probably is needing those two day sleeps to make up for his short night sleep.

Although we had a 5.30 start here today (I let him have a long map yesterday) and I'm a zombie. Definitely going to bed when he does today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is he warm? I think that's about the coldest time throughout the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We leave the central heating on 19 overnight, so that should be warm enough I think??

When you transitioned to 1 day sleep, how did you do that? DS is always ready for bed by 9.30-10am at latest so can't see how I'd push that out longer at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    We leave the central heating on 19 overnight, so that should be warm enough I think??

When you transitioned to 1 day sleep, how did you do that? DS is always ready for bed by 9.30-10am at latest so can't see how I'd push that out longer at the moment.
    Yeah well DS was the same - cos he was waking at 4 or 4.30am. I'd push him out as long as possible but often that was still 10.30am. Then I'd let him sleep and just deal with him being tired all afternoon. Or I'd take him for a drive where he'd only sleep 45 minutes so he wasn't relying on that second sleep so much. Within a very short timeframe he started making the morning sleep 3 hours long and gradually pushed it out later and later and now he goes down around 12pm. I only let him sleep 2 hours now but see how you go.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, I seriously thought I had the luxury of 2 sleeps for a little while longer yet. Damn damn damn!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found when my DS dropped to one sleep it was great as I could go out more and plan my day better so its not all bad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    I found when my DS dropped to one sleep it was great as I could go out more and plan my day better so its not all bad!
    I do enjoy this too. I miss having 2 rest times during the day but its much easier to plan things around 1 sleep.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Give it a week or two in case it's a phase.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Early waking & still tired

I'm using a book called content baby by Gina ford. She goes through this with a case study of a child who wakes at 530 everyday. It turned out it was because there was cracks of light coming through the curtains so the child would wake up and realise it's morning because it was light outside that he could see. If you black out his room completely they think it's night and resettle themselves. Maybe give that a go?