+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3.5 year old losing weight..

Dd1 is a small girl to start with and at the start of the year weighed 15kg, I weighed her tonight and she is currently 14.4kg.. She eats her breakfast every morning and her lunch and snacks continuously but is extremely fussy at dinner time as she basically won't eat anything but sausages and veg. Well tonight she wouldn't even eat her vegies and I'm starting to get worried now if realized she is losing weight. She will have her 4yo Health check in October so I will definatly bring it up then but I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and has a suggestion?? I'm very close to getting her checked early.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Eating breakfast and lunch and snacks, she should still be putting on weight. She sounds like she is eating a lot to me. They don't put on that much weight anyway at this age. But are you noticing anything else? Like bad poos or anything that could explain the weight loss?

My son had malabsorption for about 18 months and in that time he lost no weight but he didn't gain any either, he stayed the same weight for that time until it was resolved. He had the most horrendous poos though and became severely deficient in minerals and vitamins, I actually couldn't believe that he wasn't losing heaps of weight, but apparently that can be quite common.

So if you are noticing her losing weight then deffo mention it at her health check.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know the correct answer, but my DD 4 lost weight at that age, and DD2, who is about to turn 3, currently goes up and down between 12kg and 14kg. I have never worried about it but my girls aren't tiny, and are also very tall. I do know that it can be normal for kids to have periods where they seem to hardly eat anything at all, and then it picks up again in a period of growth. Could she have stopped growing for now and lost the weight due to increased activity? Usually unless there are other signs of a problem, like her feeling tired or lethargic all the time, or bowel issues, then I wouldn't really worry, but you should ask the health nurse/a gp, if you wanted to be sure and get some advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Iv started. Rewards chart to et hero eat dinner. Last night was first night and we had very slow success.