+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It seems that you either love or hate the Territory and no inbetween
    We have a Territory (the older 2004 model) and I love it. Like so many others have said it is a little thirsty but the positives outweigh the negatives to me. It drives really well, doesn't feel like im driving a 4wd, has heaps of space, plenty of anchor points, 10 thousand cup holders We previously had a 2007 Commodore Omega but when I got pregnant with out 3rd we decided that a little more space would be nice. We only had a budget of 20 thousand and the Territory was pretty much the newest 7 seater we could get within our price range. If I had unlimited money I would love a prado but the Territory works well for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Re reliability... as I said, we've had two and I'm really surprised to hear this. Thirsty, sure, but unreliable? The rather harsh review aside, is there anyone who's actually owned one who would describe them as "unreliable"?
    I keep checking back for this to. I'm wondering which model is considered unreliable. In essence the territory has the same running gear as the xr6. My parents have had 4 of those in varying models without any reliability issues. I'm keen to hear which ones for sure.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diesal444 View Post
    What about a klueger or a prado? That's getting up there in price range but I guess you could get a decent second hand one for 30k?
    The link I posted says it's a challenge to fit three seats into the Kluger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs E View Post
    I keep checking back for this to. I'm wondering which model is considered unreliable. In essence the territory has the same running gear as the xr6. My parents have had 4 of those in varying models without any reliability issues. I'm keen to hear which ones for sure.
    The Dog and Lemon Guide that I have is the 2010 edition, so the data doesn't obviously cover models after that, but I think it's safe to say the review wouldn't have changed much. I'll quote the book again, just so you know that I'm not pulling facts out of my clacker and that the review is totally unbiased. The Dog and Lemon Guide is in no way affiliated with car manufacturers, and are not paid to produce these reviews. In fact the reviews are so honest that there is a legal warning in the front of the book because of course some cars get appalling reviews.
    A little quote from that section: "Every full moon we have a bonfire of the last month's legal threats and our lawyers, who eat broken glass and howl at the moon, are under strict instructions to defend any proceedings with the utmost vigour​."

From The Dog & Lemon Guide: 2010 Edition
    Please don't take it personally when we say that a car is unreliable, but facts are facts: generally an older (and many new) British cars are hopelessly unreliable. So are most other European cars including German models. Traditionally, Australian-built cars like the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore have been among the least reliable on the road. That's the conclusion of a survey of nearly 27,000 Australian car owners. Jap cars are consistently more reliable, which doesn't mean that if you buy a Jap car it won't break down, it's just less likely to, that's all. So please don't send us abusive letters because you loved your old Ford Falcon or Mitsubishi Magna and don't like us rubbishing it. We're just doing our job.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Having never heard of The Dog and Lemon Guide, I've been enjoying a bit of Google research! It seems to be a bit of a contentious publication

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diesal444 View Post
    Oh ok I just assumed it would be bigger/ wider than my cx7. Coz there's no way you would fit 3 car seats in my 7.
    What about a klueger or a prado? That's getting up there in price range but I guess you could get a decent second hand one for 30k?
    The Land Cruiser Prado is rated as 'Excellent' for reliability (2003-2009 model). It's also a real off roader (not sure if that's important to you, OP?), whereas the Ford Territory is more of a yuppie pretend 4wd (eg the base models are actually only a 2 wheel drive and not designed for off road driving at all!).

Anyhoo, just giving you fun facts to consider

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Having never heard of The Dog and Lemon Guide, I've been enjoying a bit of Google research! It seems to be a bit of a contentious publication
    Car manufacturers don't like it, generally, for good reason! They don't want you reading it and not buying their car. Knowledge is power, I say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    Essay length? It was five paragraphs - I don't know how many essays you've written (or read, for that matter) but I think you're giving me a little too much credit.

Bloke or not, I have a little knowledge in the area and I like to help when I can.
    It just looked huge on the phone! Hope I didn't offend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha ha! I just googled the Dog & Lemon Guide too, and it's very interesting that one of the first few search results is rubbishing the book, and the website is an Audi one. Pretty much all Audis are rated as "Dodgy" for reliability (though many are rated "Excellent" for safety), and the "Overall Rating" for over half the Audis are "Not Recommended" (2 out of 5 stars).

Funny that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am grateful for all detailed responses, we can't really afford to buy a lemon....