+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a new diesel and it is great. Pretty roomy, not bad on fuel, comfortable. BUT! The third row of seats does not split and is a pain in the backside to put up. Makes it almost impossible to fit anything much in once the third row of seats is up. Think I'll try a Kluger when our lease is up in this one.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WannaBMummy82 For This Useful Post:

MothersMilk  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I'll check it out for you. I've just bought a 2002 Toyota based on recommendation from this book so I've been reading up on a lot of cars. I'll report back later...
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love my Territory best car I've ever owned. I haven't found it that thirsty really and all my driving is local.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs E For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love love our territory. Definitely thirsty but very reliable... I'd be getting a diesel if buying new. It is definitely a good car for 3 kids as you don't need to use the 3rd row. I think it would be a PIA for 4 using the 3rd row full time as there is no boot at all, and it isn't that easy to climb in the back.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mmy2b For This Useful Post:

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I've got a book called "The Dog and Lemon Guide" and according to this, Ford Territories are "Not Recommended". It's rated as "Dodgy" for reliability but "Good" for safety. It gets 14mpg (miles per gallon) of fuel (to give you an idea how bad this is, a Ford Ka, which is obviously a tiny car, gets 45mpg)

If you don't care whether your car is reliable and are happy to spend a gazillion dollars on petrol, then this is the car for you, as it is very roomy inside (my mum and stepdad bought one recently, and it is very spacious and comfortable).

Here's a quote from my book for you:
    "Should you buy a Territory? Depends on your needs, your ability to pay for fuel and your willingness to take a gamble over reliability. The Territory may look good but it drinks like a fish. Expensive later versions have six-speed automatics, which improve the fuel consumption a bit. However, no amount of gears can alter the fact that the Territory weighs two tonnes, has an ageing four litre engine and the aerodynamics of a brick. It's going to be thirsty"
    That's a fairly harsh review, and probably more than a bit unfair.

The Territory is a good car, with limitations brought about by the usual compromise between price and function.

They ARE very thirsty. They are a big car with a lot of metal to move. Short of putting them on gas, you're not going to find too many cars that size and that price that do much better. There is also a kernel of truth to the reliability comment. There are a few issues that have cropped up more often that you'd expect - front ball joint failures, diff failures, some problems with the 4-speed auto transmission and a few other niggles. But compared to other Australian-built vehicles, they are not especially poor - they are just built to a price that precludes the reliability standards of the Germans and some of the Japanese. Holden Commodores, for example, have a similar list of common failures. When you sell a lot of cars and you're building to a price, you get component failures. It's just a fact of life. Plenty more have given nothing but trouble-free motoring.

The Territory has some excellent selling points, though. They share many parts with the Falcon, so parts are plentiful and cheap. Servicing costs are far less than some of the competition. They also handle brilliantly for the type - I've heard and read a lot of people say that the handling is on par with the BMW X5, and better than the Mercedes ML and everything else on the market. I think that might be pushing it a bit, but there can be no denying that they are very good. The 6-speed transmission is brilliant, and the same box used in Jaguars, Range Rovers, Rolls Royces, Maseratis and BMWs.

They are also comparatively cheap to insure, and are an absolute steal on the just-out-of-warranty used car market. There are also plenty out there, so if you spend a bit of time looking around and get a professional inspection before you buy, there are some good bargains to be had.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What's your budget?

Thanks
    Reviews
    30K max

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It has been the best car I have ever driven. It handled on a dime, I felt safe with it's visibility, plenty of room and wasn't a tank. Parking was really good as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok...well the 3 car seats thing makes it tricky. If you could just get away with a sedan there are loads of cars I could recommend, mainly all Toyotas and other Japanese cars as they are typically the most reliable. There are even people mover type cars that rate better than the Territory but I guess they aren't as popular (eg the Toyota Tarago is rated as "Excellent" for reliability and "good" for safety).

Anyway, if you have your heart set on a Territory, go for it. It's basically a Falcon on stilts, and after reading the section on "What goes wrong?" under the Ford Falcon (apparently these all apply to the Territory because it's basically the same engine), I personally wouldn't buy it as I can't afford the maintain an unreliable car (or take a gamble on one). But you might get lucky, and if you look after it you might get a few good years out of it. I certainly hope that the one my mum and stepdad bought is a reliable one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My heart isn't set on a territory, i'm just attracted to the large back seat - i really don't know much about them which is why i started this thread.
    My preference in cars is a toyota but it's a struggle when you have to fit 3 seats in...and want it to be not be too squished...and don't want to spend too much...and don't want a car too old. Maybe i need to lower my expectations?