+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question Trusting strangers with your children within the school setting??

Hi Guys,
    Last edited by PomPoms; 04-12-2012 at 14:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think it's something you'll have to get used to within the school setting, at the end of the day, even if its another parent reading/doing sight words etc with your children, the teacher is always present and so are the other kids. if you can't trust teachers, maybe you should try homeschooling.. ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    You don't want your kids having private one on one time you mean with a teacher etc?

I'm not a teacher so I don't know exactly how it works but I'd hope that might be accommodated if you explained to the principal/teacher your situation and fears?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    it is part of school life that they read/write get taught by lots of people in different settings...1 on 1, small groups and their class.

Check your school's policy on whether it police checks all helpers (it should) so that might offer some relief.

Perhaps do some volunteer work in classes yourself so you can get a full understanding of the setting that it is in.

Homeschooling may also be an option.

hugs, i am sorry that your family let you down

7. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (08-08-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This would bother me too Subbing...they aren't at school age yet

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a bit the same in that i dont trust anyone to have my kids. I dont like them being with strangers and they are very aware of "stranger danger" I cant imagine what you have been through with your family - how horrible.

I just wanted to say that I work in a Preschool as disablility support staff, and we welcome lots of volunteers. Schools and Preschools often dont recieve the staffing that enables the children to have one on one and for that reason it is so fantastic to have parent helpers. At our preschool anyone who volunteers has to have a full police clearance and will only be allowed in to the site if they have met with our director and she approves of them being there. And even then they are never left alone (or with any real responsibility) with the children.

I can think of one parent helper who is so great with kids that i actually think she teaches them more than one of our teachers (although i would never say that IRL)
    And ALL of our parents are there because they genuinely want to make our preschool a better place. HTH

11. The Following User Says Thank You to allforthem For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (08-08-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I found this hard being that DD is never baby sat or anything like that i found it hard, DD wasnt toilet trained when she started school and was having her pump changed and they was having to re dress her and every, now she is toilet trained but she stil needs help i trust all her teachers they are all lovely there is new ones in her room and i find it daunting.

What i find hardest is they have to run her feed pump and manage her medical stuff seen that stuff keeps her alive It scares me that a mistake can be so bad, but im getting better at trusting people

Thanks
    Reviews
    the school really should be getting police clearance done on parent helpers!! I am a bit stunned that they don't. It is free and easy (just submitting a form at Australia Post) and is then valid for a few years...if parents going on excursions and stuff, they would be supervising toilet trips etc and over night camps...the list goes on. I would def be speaking with them to find out why they are not taking this simple step to make the place safer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They should be asked to sign a confidential dec form. In regards to other people helping, i value my parent helpers greatly. They should work with your children under the guidance of the teachers. A school after all is a community and a community that is safe and trusting is essential for our kids. School will be a place where you will encounter many helpers and i doubt they would stop this. Parents love coming in and so do their kids!!! Maybe volunteer to go on help roster so you can observe how the system operates. Or have a chat with the teacher.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    I found this hard being that DD is never baby sat or anything like that i found it hard, DD wasnt toilet trained when she started school and was having her pump changed and they was having to re dress her and every, now she is toilet trained but she stil needs help i trust all her teachers they are all lovely there is new ones in her room and i find it daunting.

What i find hardest is they have to run her feed pump and manage her medical stuff seen that stuff keeps her alive It scares me that a mistake can be so bad, but im getting better at trusting people
    It must be so hard for you!! I don't know how you do it to be honest! I am so glad you are trusting people more!!

You are a wonderful Mummy and your DD is lucky to have you!