+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Silly Question (FTM)

Hi ladies,

I'm starting to think about writing my birth plan. I was thinking about putting something in about if I had to choose, I'd rather have a Caesar than an episiotomy. But I don't get it, will baby be too far down the birth canal to have a Caesar by the time an episiotomy might be necessary? If so, what option could I put as a preference to episiotomy?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes baby would be too far into the birth canal for a Cesar by that stage. Your only option instead of a episiotomy would be to tear naturally, which could be worse than the episiotomy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if this will help. But the whole idea of them cutting me freaked me out! But it wasn't till the 2nd day that they finally told me they had cut. No drams with that I also torn prior to that happening and have had so much more trouble with that.
    It's not as bad as it seems
    Hope that's helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    Hi ladies,

I'm starting to think about writing my birth plan. I was thinking about putting something in about if I had to choose, I'd rather have a Caesar than an episiotomy. But I don't get it, will baby be too far down the birth canal to have a Caesar by the time an episiotomy might be necessary? If so, what option could I put as a preference to episiotomy?

Thanks!
    By the time an episiotomy is needed your baby would be crowning or about to so would be too late for you to have a Caesar.

As far as i understand it, an episiotomy is generally required when you are about to tear anyway and so they cut to direct the tear where it will do less damage. I'm pretty sure your only other option is to tear naturally..

I have had 3 children vaginally and have, at worst, only had 1st degree tearing and required no stitches. I think this was due to following the midwives advice during pushing. They will tell you when to push and when to hold to try and ensure baby doesn't come too fast or in an awkward position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    Hi ladies,

Thanks!
    I was completely against the idea of an episiotomy with my first but when the time came it needed to be done so I did it. One of my girlfriends did perennial massage on herself each day to stretch out the skin (bit personal sorry) and she didn't tear at all!! Maybe try to look into that sort of thing??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have read and been told that tearing is often better than being cut- less blood loss, heals faster. But I can't speak from experience. But I don't think a caesar is an alternative to an epi as yes, baby is too far down by then. Also an epi is a small cut vs a c section which is major abdominal surgery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not a silly question!!!!

The only thing I was terrified of during child birth was tearing ... After talking to my mum and sis (who both had epi) I felt more prepared.

With both my babies I chose not to have epi ... And I tore with both ... (for me) it actually wasnt too bad. I found that by the time it got to that stage baby was nearly out so I really wasn't concerned about tearing ... It sort of feels like a burning feeling as the skin is stretching but you just push through it. With second baby I knew what that burning feeling was so knew that baby was right there!!!

After everything healed down there ... It's just like it was before, I can't feel any scars and there isn't loose flappy skin or anything.

The risk if you choose no epi, is that if you do tear (and not everyone does) ... The tear can go all the Way to your bum and require surgery to put it back together ... This happened to my sis with her second baby and everything has healed as it was

Hope this helps ... And it's not tmi!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I have had an epi before and that article has scared the pants off me!!!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Here is an Aussie link http://www.mybirth.com.au/intervention/episiotomy.html

I liken it to trying to tear a phone book, pretty hard, give that phone book a snip and it will rip like a tissue.