+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need advice for 10week Olds naps

Is he actually getting acid reflux or is it just a bit of spit up?

We have a gassy little one here and after projectile vomiting she has to have .2ml of infacol before every feed. I wouldn't leave the curtains open (sleep is sleep, a darkened room always helps is sleep a little better).

But yeh. My dd has had reflux issues since day dot. I'm hesitant to medicate her on something like Zantac as little spot ups are quite normal (immature stomach valves)

At the moment the .2ml of infacol and posture / up hill feeding, then not laying bubby down for at least 20 min. While reflux isn't bothering her I don't want to put more chemicals in her body than I have to.
    On days she is really bad I use 1ml of Milanta to ease any acid burn.

My LO has become more alert now and needs a little extra comforting when settling. On days it's just not happening I get my hug-a-bub wrap out and pop her in there so I know she will get at least one great big decent block, or I'll lay down with her so I'm close at hand to resettle before she wakes too much.

My LO just turned 13 w

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bizzybee For This Useful Post:

moosemousse  (19-08-2012),Starfish30  (21-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS had a lot of painful gas/wind when he was younger, and was throwing up a lot. He started out on the small side and chubbed up quickly. The ECH nurse suggested sitting him upright to feed him, rather than across my lap. She also suggested putting a blanket under his mattress to help elevate him.

Both of these things seemed to reduce the vomiting. I still feed DS with him straddling my thigh, and would recommend trying that. He does seem to have improved with age as well.

As to the day time sleeping, DS would happily sleep in his pram during the day when he was really little, then he went through a stage where he was too overstimulated to sleep there. Sometimes I put him to bed upstairs in his cot, and I close the blinds and curtains to make it as dark a possible. By 10 weeks old, your bub should know the difference between night and day.

Hope this helps!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeJu's Mum For This Useful Post:

moosemousse  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The fella rarely spits up or vomits. I think he's only done a real chuck twice. Mostly it's a very faint dribble so it's not your classic reflux. But he chokes and splutters and gags and coughs and I keep hearing a gurgle sound in the abdomen. Can't be a good thing.

Bizzybee-- do you just use a normal
    mylanta ffrom the chemist for the acid burn or is there a special

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry! iPhone has a mind of its own. I meant to ask if there's a special mylanta for bubs?

Has anyone ever slept their babies on the side to help with reflux? I know it's not the recommended sleep position so don't shoot me down! Just asking to see what's out there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes mylanta is just the regular one at a 1ml dosage. I hardly use it unless I smell the burn though.

I've been finding the infacol has been helping her tummy the last few days, she spits up after a feed but I'm not hearing the wind in we belly as much.

I often sleep bub on her side, but we co sleep and there is no risk of her rolling face down, maybe you could try a towel just under bubs shoulder for a slight angle? I'm not sure.

The gurgling sounds in the belly definitely sound like wind. Poor little thing.

Thanks
    Reviews

http://www.tresillian.net/tresillian...12-months.html

Maybe have a little read through this and see if there are any ideas there. I know I can't lay my dd down flat etc and if she's waking up crying after 10-15 often if I pick her up she gives me a big burp, and will often then resettle back to sleep.

Don't forget they form sleep associations too, so often if cuddled to sleep they may need cuddling to resettle, dummy, gentle patting etc. and by meeting his needs quickly you may be able to resettle with less fuss than if he gets worked up.

Ugh I hate wind.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bizzybee For This Useful Post:

moosemousse  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I definitely know what you mean by meeting his needs quickly instead of letting him get worked up. He resettled very quickly if I ggo in quickly, pick him up, burp him and mostly he relaxes and goes back to sleep right away.

I will get that mylanta next time I go past the chemist. Thanks for that idea.

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely sounds like acid reflux. Same symptoms that my son had. Arching the back often, waking up frequently, gurgling sounds, gassy, gagging, excessive swallowing (when not feeding!) irritable, not really vomiting though..etc... My dr recommended trying gaviscon for a few weeks before going on zantac. You can get infant gaviscon from the chemist over the counter. Comes in sachets that you dissolve. I found it was causing constipation though and not for long time use hence why the doctor put him on zantac. So that's also another option although the mylanta would be easier to administer and if you notice a difference then you can get something for longer term use from the doctor. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi MM,

With regard to the dairy thing, cut out anything that has dairy even of it is baked. Also look at soy. The proteins are similar so bubs tend to react similarly.

We tried settling on his side but couldn't actually get him on his side as he would arch and scream. :-/ He actually preferred sleeping on his tummy when able...

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of the mothers at my mothers group said her little one could only seem to sleep on his tummy too.

When I settle bub on his side, I'm keeping him swaddle still. Is this right?