+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP

Not sure if this would help but I have been told to watch what you eat as some foods tend to cause gas / wind more than others. This is a list I was given

Foods to avoid for the first weeks:
    Fruits Vegetables Miscellaneous
    Mangoes
    Berries
    Melons
    Grapes
    Oranges
    Lemons
    Stone fruits
    Pineapple
    Strawberries
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Brussel sprouts
    Peas
    Cucumber
    Capsicum
    Lettuce
    Tomato
    Radishes
    Cauliflower
    Lentils
    Raw onion
    Strong herbs and spices. (Cayenne, chili, oregano, thyme, marjoram, sage, rosemary)
    Brewers yeast
    Tea
    Coffee
    Chocolate
    Alcohol

Foods to be eaten freely during the first weeks:
    Fruits Vegetables Whole Grains Dairy Products Miscellaneous
    Apples
    Custard Apples
    Paw-paw
    Pears
    Bananas
    Avocado
    Asparagus
    Beetroot
    Carrots
    Celery
    Eggplant
    Pumpkin
    Potato
    Zucchini
    Corn
    Mushrooms
    Turnips
    Parsnips
    Onions (well cooked)
    Rice
    Rye
    Rolled Oats
    Barley
    Millet
    Cottage cheese
    Ricotta cheese
    Milk
    Yoghurt
    Sprouts
    Buckwheat
    Tofu
    Honey
    Cold pressed oils
    Parsley
    Miso
    Tamari
    Dandelion coffee
    Chamomile tea
    Fennel tea
    Cardarmon tea
    B Complex

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I might ad that they are different at night time because of the chemical changes that happen in human bodies that make us diurnal.

And during the day it's the light sleep stage that occurs at the beginning of a nap that causes the constant waking...with bubs that don't self settle anyway.

I hope it's not anything medical!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your various pieces of advice and opinions. I have made an appointment with another GP tomorrow morning to get a second opinion. I've spent hours and hours settling and resettling tthis little man and I'm exhausted. He keeps waking due to the gas in his tummy and I can often hear it gurgling in his stomach.

Id like to ask a question about losec? It seems there are different versions around? Like a tablet or a something else?? Cos I've been having a look other places and people are talking about granules and suspension but I have no idea what all this means. I met another mom today whose little one is on Zantac. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need advice for 10week Olds naps

I think both are the same, both for reflux. My 6.5 wk old is on losec ATM, there's been a slight difference during the day (so improved the reflux) but still have the uncontrollable crying in the arvo/night due to colic. She takes half a tablet a day which I crush and give with water. So a definite improvement for reflux... Now to work on the colic :s

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I went to the gp today and she recommended a milk thickener for now and I have to try it for two weeks and see how he goes on it, if it's still not good enough then she wil put hhim on Zantac. Anyway fingers crossed that this will be good enough

Lou what colic relief are you using?

Thanks
    Reviews

Gripe water works the best... Doesn't get rid of the screaming fully definitely helps get some wind up. I've tried infants friends, infacol. I read somewhere someone recommending colic calm which is an American product apparently. I'm going to order that today and give it a go. I'm not sure what else there is to try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a hyland's colic tablet that dissolves on the tongue that's supposed to be good. Not sure if it's available in Australia though but might be worth looking up?

I had such a lousy night last night. Bub had the last feed of the day around 9.30 and couldn't sleep after that, kept waking every 15-20 minutes cos of wind. I finally took him to bed with me and we slept till 2.30 then had a feed and he went to his cot no problems. Next feed he woke at 6.10am afterwards slept for 10 mins then woke due to gas and then it was like someone flicked a switch on and he went ballistic with his bawling and screaming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

MM, thickener is not going to fix acid. It will help to stop it from coming up but it won't neutralise it and deal with the gas. You're unlikely to see improvement on that alone. Too much acid will go down as well as up. Have you considered cutting dairy from your diet? If you want to avoid medication, having a play with your diet is the best bet. You'll need to eliminate entirely for two weeks.

Re: Zantac. It's the very basic first level of acid reflux medication. Zantac usually goes to Losec and if that doesnt work, something like Nexium which is stronger again. The difference between a tablet and suspension is not huge. A suspension is just the tablet crush and made into a liquid. Compounding chemists do it. The problem with the suspension version is that is can be unstable and the amount being given can vary as a result.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks nettle. Yeah I did ask about putting him On Zantac but the GP said to try the thickener for two weeks first and see how it goes. I guesss she's being conservative in case it really is all that's needed.so I need to sstick it out for a while and hope it gets better or enough to prove her wrong, in which case my baby will have to suffer another two weeks at her expense??!

Thanks
    Reviews
    About cutting dairy out, I already consume very little dairy as it is, coming from an Asian background so I'm not into breakfast cereal or cheese but I do eat cakes that contain milk and butter. Do those little bits of dairy count as well?