+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Bubbly bell - the karicare delact I had a look today and it says it's for lactose intolerant. Did u use this for your baby because of reflux or because of the intolerance?? I'm still trying to find a correct formula. It's so hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lou89 - I was using karicare ha gold (after he developed severe constipation on nan ha gold) and that worked well. Then he had diarrhoea for a few days and my gp advised just using a lactose free formula for a week to see how he went. Thats when I noticed a big change in the gas levels. He wasn't anywhere near as windy and his poop went back to looking "normal". So the gp and health nurse said I should just stick with it as it wouldn't harm him to be on it long term as it has all the nutrients etc in it that he needs (otherwise they wouldn't sell it over the counter apparently!?!) anyways he has been great on it. I use the thickener I only put a scoop in per bottle (250ml) and that helps with spit ups which are very small and far between. He used to guzzle down milk every 2-3 hours when he was 6-10 weeks but since starting this formula and the zantac he went down to drinking the recommended amount which now at 5 months old he drinks 4 x 250ml a day and his weigh gain is steadier (before meds he jumped from 50th percentile to 95th in two weeks which dr said was due to soothing the reflux). We have never been tested for lactose intolerance though. I suffer from minor lactose intolerance since a baby though. Unfortunately with formula it seems to be a case of trial and error. What works for one might not for another.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Moosemousse, that was exactly the reason we had problems getting DS diagnosed. He was a big boy because he would eat and eat and eat. Many doctors only understand reflux as being projectile vomiting where the baby fails to thrive because they can't keep anything down. It's very frustrating!! Don't give up. Get a second or third or fourth opinion if you have to! That's what we did in the end.

Sleepy wrap you can buy off eBay for about $50ish but if you have the cash, try a hugabub as they are lighter weight, cooler and firmer so supports bub's weight better.

Lou89, you will need to give the meds up to two weeks to work unfortunately. Are you using the tablets or the compounded version from the chemist? The compounded version can be HIGHLY unreliable. We had all sorts of problems with it. Paed gastro dude put us on Nexium granules and we have never looked back. Taste a load better than Losec too. Also, have a go at a formula that is both dairy and soy free. Not sure what you can get OTC that way buy ask the pharmacist. Otherwise have a chat with your GP.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nettle For This Useful Post:

moosemousse  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it's just quite shocking/Disappointing that a paediatrician would have such a limited understanding Of the symptoms of reflux. I will need to get another medical opiniOn that's for sure.

My Paediatrician was so dismissive when I asked it were reflux because of how chubby the baby is. So I just turned off my maternal instinct that something was not right and listened to him as I thought its his field and he's the medical professional!

Good luck to those still looking for the right formula to feed their bubs! Must be incredibly frustrating and also expensive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Moosemouse, my Paediatrician also dismissed reflux in my DS saying that you can't get a reflux diagnosis prior to 6 months old. Something to do with maturing of digestive system?

However my baby isn't fussy at meal times and doesn't seem bothered about his "reflux". He is a colicky baby, lots of wind and crying for a few weeks with gradual improvement since he turned 8-9 weeks. Since DS is getting better on his own, I think that our doctor was probably right about him.

If you are unsure about that Paediatrician's opinion, it is worth it getting a second opinion if possible. Let us know how you go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The past couple of days I've been experimenting by raising him on an angle and he does seem to be sleeping better. I'm only propping him
    Up on a pillow and I'm aware this is not SIDS safe but I've got nnothing else to do so I just sit in the room and watch his Day time nap with one eye and watch tv with the other eye. The cot is already raised with yellow pages on one end but maybe it's not enough. So I might just get hhim a reflux wedge pillow and see how he goes. Like any momma bear I'd rather not have him on meds unless I really have to. He's also going for chiro so I'm hoping this combination of efforts will be enough until he grows out Of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP. I haven't read through replies so sorry if I'm repeating! I don't have an answer for your problem but I'm curious as to how you put bub to sleep during the day? It may link into why bubs waking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I put him to sleep the same way as at night only difference is in the day I keep the curtains open... I'm not sure whether or not they should have their naps in a dark room or whether to keep it not bright exactly but there is some natural day light coming through. A bit confused because I'd like him to know the diff between night and day but not sure whether I'm doing the right thing by having the curtains open a bit? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosemousse View Post
    Well I put him to sleep the same way as at night only difference is in the day I keep the curtains open... I'm not sure whether or not they should have their naps in a dark room or whether to keep it not bright exactly but there is some natural day light coming through. A bit confused because I'd like him to know the diff between night and day but not sure whether I'm doing the right thing by having the curtains open a bit? Any thoughts on this?
    DS was always aided to sleep so I understood why he woke so often but if yours is self settling then it may well be reflux or something of the kind.

The dark/light room is a toughy...for ages I left the room light for the same reason you are but at some point I started closing the curtains. He sleeps in the lounge now for his day sleep so it's aways light in their anyway. I woke him from a 3.5 hour nap the other day so don't think it's affecting him

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Need advice for 10week Olds naps

Quote Originally Posted by moosemousse View Post
    My DS is the same. He sleep 2-3 hours stretches at night, but no longer than 40-50min during the day. And sometimes he wakes up within 5-10.min of being put in the cot.

I don't know the reason for that, I was just hoping that he was going to improve as he got older. I also think that it can't be anything physical because he's ok at night. Maybe it's more stimulating for him during the day? Or maybe he will just be a baby who doesn't have long naps?

To be honest with you, I'm just glad that we no longer go through the witching hour and that he sleeps a bit better at night

I'be been doing eat - play - sleep - play - sleep - eat during the day and eat - sleep - eat at night time.

Please let me know if you find a solution to day time naps!!