+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ebay question...

Why is it that when you place a bid on something as soon as you hit confirm payment it says you have been out bud..and than you bid again and again it sayd straight after that you have been outbid!
    Is there a setting on Ebay that automatically increases your bid when someone else bids more on an item you want??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep- that's exactly how it works

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you place a bid you can place it up to the maximum amount you are willing to pay. Ebay will then automatically bid for you up to that point.

Very few people actually use it properly like that which means that when you do do it properly you often win and don't sit having to stalk ebay for the last 5 minutes waiting for someone to outbid you.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah sadly people can place autobids on. So say you see something you would LOVE and you know you wont be home you set a max bid in and then every time someone bids, as long as its under your limit, it will auto bid for you. Then once your limit is reached someone else can out bid you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep if you're bidding on something that is at $10 and you bid $11, the person who was winning before you may have bid a maximum of $50, so ebay will keeping bidding on behalf of that person for them until it hits $50. I think it normally goes up in like 50c or $1 bids depending on how high your may bid is?

You can also use snipping websites, which are even faster than ebay and can leave it until the very last second to steal a bid. We use these for rare items we realllly want and would be devastated if we didn't win haha. Otherwise it's not worth the hassle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks alot for your lovely replies!!! How do I place a max bid separatly?? i cant see anywhere that it says to place max bid..just ''place bid ''... sorry if it seems like a ''dope!'' moment for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup, I just end up bidding last minute with the highest price I'm willing to pay, otherwise it can be a right PIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i wait till 10 seconds on the dot and bid.. you gotta be quick cos by the time it refreshes the page and you confirm etc.. i 99% win hands down. i bid by $20 over the last bid, but doesn't mean im paying $20 extra.. i win it at the price the last bidder put. hehe.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OS&N View Post
    i cant see anywhere that it says to place max bid..just ''place bid ''... sorry if it seems like a ''dope!'' moment for me
    "Place bid" means maximum bid

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OS&N View Post
    Thanks alot for your lovely replies!!! How do I place a max bid separatly?? i cant see anywhere that it says to place max bid..just ''place bid ''... sorry if it seems like a ''dope!'' moment for me
    There is no separate box for max bid, you just enter what you're willing to pay in the normal Place bid box. For example the current bid is $1, you enter $10, it will bring the bid to $1.5, if someone else bids, eBay will bid on your behalf until it reaches $10. I hope it make sense :-P