+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy What are some activities in general I can do with my DS?

Well my DS has ASD, and I'm struggling to find activities to do that actually interest him. He has daycare 1 day a week and Kindy 2 days, so that leaves him here 4 days of the week. He loves the Xbox, and I really need to over exaggerate the love part. His hooked, the first thing in the morning when he wakes he wants it, til its bedtime at night. I tend to want to be a bit more strict when it comes to technology, I don't want him to rely on it for entertainment(unlike my lovely DP). It use to be when DP woke to DS he would chuck him on the Xbox and go back to sleep, I thankfully got him out of this awful habit. Now the rules are if he wants to be on it, he needs breakfast, toilet time, and brush his teeth, and cant be on it before 8am. I only want him on it maybe an hr. But there doesn't seem to much else to preoccupy him. And then my DP says he can have it when I clearly say no he cant(his excuse "he doesn't want to do anything else"). And DP will also let him on it dinner which can be 5-6pm, I'm sure this isn't good for his health and sleep. How can I get my DP to also be more compliant with whats best for DS? And what activities do you find your children to interested in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is only 2, but I've had a few older ASD kids and Duplo/Lego is a great activity as it allows creative freedom, but can be done to the plan also. I don't play with them, but build my own stuff in my space.

We also make car ramps or marble ramps and roll them down (always a big hit), you just need tubes, boxes, scissors, tape etc...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

sweetums89  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Something we do with P-2 kids as they often have a shorter attention span is rotating activities. You can set up 4-5 activities and they can choose which ones they want to do - that way when he gets sick of it he can move on.
    You can also make a chart with 20 different activities - these need to be organised for your own sanity and he gets to choose which ones he wants to do for the day.
    Another thing I have used with ASD kids is a visual timer - they can see how much more time they have left - so you give them 10 minutes per activity and they know they can't try another activity until they see the timer is up - google them they are life savers in classrooms for ASD kids.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

sweetums89  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also some activities could be:
    Reading corner - just like they have at school
    Play dough
    cutting and pasting
    colouring
    leggo
    blocks
    drawing/painting
    making and creating
    writing a story
    computer time
    boggle
    board games
    card games
    musical items
    dress ups
    ball games
    word search
    cooking

Also a good idea to make one of the rotating activities a 'special' one where you join in with him - make sure this one goes last and that way he has an incentive to continue on until his activity with you... That way he's not constantly asking you to join in because he knows which activity you will be joining in.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

sweetums89  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lego & reading. That's it, Lego and reading. They are his fixations.

When he was 4yo, it was still Lego and reading LOL, but he also used to be into craft. He would raid the recycling bin and pinch a roll of sticky tape, and he would sticky tape and cut bits of cardboard and boxes and tubes into all sorts of strange but very intricate creations. Maybe you could try that for your little one.

Oh I will add though that he also loves video/computer games, he would stay on them allll day if I let him, but I don't. He plays them maybe 2-3 times a week for 30-60 mins. If I let him on whenever he wanted to, he would become even more antisocial then he is already.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

sweetums89  (08-08-2012)