+ Reply to Thread
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Taking the pill while BFing (not mini)

So...It's my understanding that the mini pill is recommended as a contraceptive while breastfeeding because the combination pill can inhibit milk production. DS2 is 15 months old and only has about two or three feeds a day at the moment (mostly for comfort), so I'm wondering if I can start taking the combination pill. The mini pill doesn't work for me and I am averse to internal contraceptive solutions.

I have read on Kellymom etc that the latter *can* be used when baby is over six months and also on solids...yet lots of people I talk to are telling me that you CAN'T take it at all

I have a GP appointment tomorrow but thought I would ask for advice on here too. I might ring ABA as well...some personal opinions/advice/experiences would be great though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dunno????

I always thought you could only have the mini pill while bf as the other part of the combo pill affected the baby somehow through the milk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I asked my OB this- you can take the combined pill, the traces of hormones in your milk are minimal, BUT there is a chance it will affect your supply.
    The only ones they don't recommend you take while feeding are the ones like Diane and Yasmin since the androgen (or anti-androgens?) can come through breastmilk. Particularly if you are feeding a boy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My personal opinion is I wouldn't risk it. I can't use the mini pill (none of them are lactose free) so I'm having an iud inserted. What about the diagram?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks. My only concern is if I can't take it in case hormones etc get passed on to him, but I am happy to try it at this stage of our breastfeeding journey if it is safe for him. If my supply drops I think I could stop taking it and work on reboosting it? From what I have read, issues with supply and the pill are more likely to occur in the early months, and even then not everyone will experience it.

I have personal issues with internal devices, including the diaphragm. Condoms also mess with my ph levels. It's starting to get really frustrating
    Last edited by Witwicky; 08-08-2012 at 17:50.