+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    If you want to take his name then do. Feminism is about choice. I would have kept my name, purely out of laziness, but I gave DS XDP's surname because it meant more to
    him and I like it better. No point not doing what I want just to prove a point.
    Same as this. I'm not married, DD has ex's last name cos it sounds better. Doesn't bother me at all that I have a different last name to her.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm not married, but would never change my surname as I don't believe legally formalising a relationship requires the woman to adopt the name of the man.

My son has a different surname to me. He's almost 4, and it's never been an issue.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep, took my DH's name.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did and it never felt right. I really regretted it, I didn't like that I gave away my name, which has been a part of me since I was born. I had a few teary conversations with DH about it about 6 months after our wedding, because he really pressured me to change it.

I changed it back immediately after we separated briefly last year and it feels so right now. We are still together but I will never, ever change my name again.

ETA: I don't care what others do. Each to their own (just don't feel pressured to change it!). It should be each woman's choice.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 08-08-2012 at 12:22.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I didn't. It's an ugly surname (albeit not much worse than mine!!) and it was also partially because I don't really want to be that big a part of his extended family (they're known around here for being a large, bogan, disfunctional family where everyone except us hasn't got their **** together) and wanted to keep the identity of my much more normal, successful, lovely parents/family. It sounds snobby and in truth it is, I think I'm *above*, for want of a better word, them. My our children have his name because it is important to him. He is still not happy I didn't take his last name but too bad.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not yet, but I will be. I'll probably change it by deed poll soon. I already associate myself with his surname.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We aren't married 'yet' ..who knows if we will ever sign that bit of paper - marriage isn't a 'big deal' for me personally (although we are 'engaged' - more we commited to each oter by following the 'tradition of going, designing and purchasing a ring together for me to wear as a symbol of our commitment to each other) - I have no issue with people who do get married and take on their partner's name - I believe every one has a choice.and I hope they thougt about that choice before they signed on the dotted line *shrug* ..it is easy enough to change things these days anyway if you have second thoughts.

I'm just not a fan of the connection to the idea of a woman being 'something' that can leave one family and become part of another.
    I much prefer smooshing together of families

I also have been on a 'journey' of sorts and am quite happy with me, and part of 'me' is my name and everything and everyone that is connected to it.

My children have DPs surname.
    Not sharing a surname with them doesn't lessen the love or connection we have at all they know my last name, and it is obvious to them where it comes from (so nice to see them free from preconceived ideas/ideals)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would LOVE to take my hubbies name and do use it occasionally, but have kept mine for work reasons only, as it's my business name. I think it really shows a sense of family and union. It doesn't matter WHAT name you use, I believe it should be the same. Can't wait till I can change it properly.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CJWA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No I haven't, just never have been bothered either way. Seems like an awful lot of work involved to get it done. If it was the coolest name on the planet then maybe.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took my ex's name and hated it - and once we were divorced I changed my name back to my birth name.

Im not married to DP, so I haven't changed my name. I would only ever change my name if it affected my kids. DS doesn't care about my name ('cept when I get sick of the whinnying Mummmmmmmmy, then I insist on being called Your Royal Highness for a day ), but Dd had a huge issue about having a different name to me so we hyphenated HER surname and she's been much happier since.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post: