+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Nope. I'd had my surname for Yonkers, my nickname is derived from it, I'm established at work with it. Hubby and I are equals (50-50 housework when we're both working etc)...and I personally would see it as a 'demotion'? Of sorts to dump my name for a Mans.

I understand though that different people look at this issue with different glasses on and that's ok. Taking your mans name, if that is what you *choose* well then good on you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been married for 2 years and in the next couple of weeks will be changing my name to his. I love his last name anyway hah. I want to have the same last name as my children also.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I changed my surname to DH's, partially because my maiden name was such a pain in the rear and partially because... Well actually, that's the main reason lmao.

But I haven't LEGALLY changed my name. Everything is in my married name now, my ID, my bills, my bank details etc. but I didn't change it through births, deaths and marriages. So therefore my name is still legally my maiden name.

I think a lot of people who are married don't realise that you actually have to legally change your name through BD&M (it used to be through deed poll). Even though I've taken DH's name to use, if I were ever pulled up on it I would have to say that it's not actually my name lol.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take his name, if you wish.

Df and I will wed next year. I will definitely be taking his name, not so I will finally have the same surname as our DD, but because it's my values that I take his name.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTulips For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-08-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hyphenated, there was no way I was giving up my surname, just felt wrong it's who I am.
    But also wanted to have the same surname as my kids so hyphenating felt like I could have my cake and eat it too

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I adore my husband its kind of why we married lol! That being said I did not take his surname. I didn't take it because I had my own one allready, it is a part of me and my identity. He was a bit bummed I think but never let on. He said that once the babys born and I agree to this that we all change our surname to a hyphenated one like this: "Sarah JENKINS-WINFREY" and " Luke JENKINS-WINFREY".

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanzanite For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we both took on a new surname.. his grandmothers name (mother maiden name)

worked for us.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I remember a thread about a year or so ago where some women said that women who don't take their husband's surname don't love their husbands as much as they do. Pfft.

I'm not married yet, but should be soon, and I'm having my maiden name as my middle name (I don't currently have a middle name) and having DP's surname as my surname. I can't just 'give up' my current surname. It's me. It's my family who I love and who raised me. I do love my DP and his family, so very much, but I'm not one of them.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When we get pregnant I'll be taking DPs surname. We're not married but I have no interest in hyphenating and having the same name as my kids is more important to me than keeping my first surname. I haven't much attachment to it really.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. And its a difficult one. No one can spell it or pronnounce it!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-08-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (08-08-2012)