+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaShanty View Post
    I took my DH's name for many of the reasons other posters have already said, so I don't have anything new to add... BUT I did want to share the story of a guy I used to work with who decided that he and his new wife would hyphenate their names and both take it when they got married. However, I don't think they thought it through very well:

His surname was Lett. Her's was Seplin. Then they became Lett-Seplin... Seriously.
    LOL. I've recently heard of a family who hyphenated to Webb-Page. And she works in IT!
    I'm in the process of changing after a couple of years of not - mainly now since we have moved and I've changed jobs, changed sectors etc and now is the time (or never). I like that it identifies us all as members of the same family. DH never pushed at all but I think he quietly likes it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaShanty View Post
    I took my DH's name for many of the reasons other posters have already said, so I don't have anything new to add... BUT I did want to share the story of a guy I used to work with who decided that he and his new wife would hyphenate their names and both take it when they got married. However, I don't think they thought it through very well:

His surname was Lett. Her's was Seplin. Then they became Lett-Seplin... Seriously.
    Best. hyphenated. name. ever

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

lucymoo  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    I took my husbands last name, our son had his last name before we got married. It was more about having the same last name as my child than about it being for my husband. As to why i let my child have my husbands last name? I wanted my husband to keep his family name going. If that wasnt going to be possible on my side of the family (like if there were now sons born) then i would have chosen differently.

This is exactly my reasoning as to why I took my husbands name too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whenever I get married I'll be changing my name, either to my husbands surname or we will create a new one. I despise my fathers family,
    (not my Dad just his family) so having my surname isn't important to me at all. When my parents separated I seriously considered changing to my Mums maiden name, even though she didn't.

I am still sort of considering changing my surname to Ex-DP's name, as I desperately want the same name as our child and wouldn't want our child to feel excluded when I marry and have more children, all with the same surname.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I took my husbands last name, nothing to do with expressing achievements or being disturbing lol... Just now we are married and have a family, we are a unit and for us, having a common name reflects that. And we like things uncomplicated. Not making a statement, or following a convention, just doing what works for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    And we like things uncomplicated.
    It's funny you say that, I can understand what you mean, although I was thinking I don't want to change my surname it sounds too complicated - I CBF with births, deaths and marriages forms, changing everything at work, changing all of my bank/medicare/medibank/electoral roll/etc details. That all sounds too annoying lol.