+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When did you have to start wearing maternity clothes?

I really want to keep this pregnancy under wraps until 12 weeks... But I'm so bloated from indigestion that some of my clothes are uncomfortable already!! I'm only 5 weeks this week...

So, what are your tips? Did you start showing early? When did you have to give in the the maternity clothes?

For eg: the tights I wear under skirts and dresses are just way too tight around my belly and cut in... It's just because I'm bloated and my stomach is sensitive that it hurts to have anything right on it. Yesterday I wore maternity tights instead - AWESOME! So comfortable!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing I am 6.5 weeks and finding the same thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    with my first i still fit into my tight jeans until 16weeks then i could still wear them with the button undone till about 20 weeks

with my second i was still in maternity clothes because my stomach was still tender from my c-section but didn't start showing until after 20weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found that I had to wear maternity pants probably from about 6 weeks in as I just found normal pants to be really uncomfortable if they were tight around the belly. I know bubs was so small and couldnt feel anything but it just didnt feel right.

As I am overweight anyway it just looked liked I gain a few more kilos....or I just told people I am eating so many carbs right now 'cause its winter.

Mainly I dont think people took any notice. I was 39 weeks and massive and someone said to me 'gee I didnt know you were pregnant!'

My tip....just wear looser shirts....its the fashion now anyway so you will probably get away with it for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: When did you have to start wearing maternity clothes?

I'm 6 weeks and having the same problem. I bought a belly belt from target for $24.95.

ETA that way I can wear all my normal pants.

I'll probably invest in some nice maternity clothes when I'm further along.
    Last edited by cluckcluck; 08-08-2012 at 08:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I had shocking bloating at about 6-7 weeks but it settled down and I started wearing maternity jeans at 17 weeks because I found them more comfortable. I wore other maternity stuff from about 19 weeks but I wasn't really showing until 25. I was still wearing my normal shorts (not quite done up though!) at 36 weeks, I couldn't be bothered spending money on summer clothes as it was cold for most of my pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Around 16 weeks I bought some tshirts and stuff but that's it and I haven't worn them a lot other than home (now 29 weeks almost) I've struggled to find affordable maternity clothes that look nice so I've just been wearing normal sized clothes a size up or things of certain styles. Tunics, empire line dresses or tops, knitted cardigans the oversized ones too, normal tights a size bigger (found maternity jeans uncomfortable) and that sort of thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very early on I started to prefer to wear my stretchy pants (they look like black dress pants but stretch out so much, the band is also elastic so I'm still wearing them right this second, they have been an absolute life saver ). I found with the bloat I just couldn't wear my jeans without being so very uncomfortable.

I started to wear looser tops as needed (probably around week 20), then longer looser tops when they started to rise up to much at the front (around week 28).
    I brought a few maternity tops on ebay and they are really good, but a lot of my older clothes still fit. I also brought a fair few loose stretchy tops a few sizes up because they don't sell maternity wear in my size (finding maternity bras is even worse , thank goodness for ebay ).

These days there are some great options, especially with all the really stretchy material available I also pair my stretchy clothes up with nice cardigans and I'm pretty happy with the results. I still look nice and well put together, and I'm so so comfortable

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 15 weeks and still wearing my normal clothes, but that being said I prefer the 'looser' jumpers. My normal ones are very snug over my bump and it looks like i have a gut!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never bought any maternity clothes. I just lived in tights, maxi dresses and maxi skirts. With my tights i just wore oversized t shirts or loose singlets with big cardigan/jumper.