+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not a "viable" pregnancy

My dr has just told me that my pregnancy is not viable and I need to have D&C. She was very kind but I was too shocked and overwhelmed that I couldn't comprehend it. So I have to ask some questions as I am struggling to believe it.

According to my LMP I would be 6+ weeks, but I have PCOS so am not sure when I ovulated. I had a scan last week and they could not see anything, no sac, nothing. So I had 2 blood tests, which showed my hcg levels last thursday as 193 and Saturday as 280.

My Dr says it should double every 48 hours, and although it has risen it is nowhere near what it should be at this time. She said to have another blood test today but that it would just confirmt that this is not viable pregnancy. She said that I will need D&C.

I didn't hear much after that as I was too upset, she suggested I come home and return for the blood test after I'd spoken to my husband. This is my 3rd pregnancy, I have a 6 and a 4 year old. I have not had a miscarriage before. I feel like I don't believe it, that it must be a mistake.

Does this sound right? I didn't have my hcg levels checked with my other 2 children. I was only diagnosed with the PCOs a year ago. I didn't see this coming, I had such a good feeling about this, whereas ironically my other pregnancies were very difficult. I have to go back within an hour to get my blood test, but I just don't want to leave the house, I don't think I can see anyone if this is true.

I'm sorry if this sounds strange but I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I literally feel like someone handed me my baby and is now snatching it out of my arms. We'd already made plans... I feel a connection... I don't feel like it is gone? I just can't understand it, if it isn't there then wouldn't I feel that myself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I couldn't read this and not send you some hugs x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so sorry to hear this.

If you're not bleeding, and even if you are, I'd be asking for another blood test and another scan to double-check. By 7 weeks you should be able to see either way, either a little bub or maybe a missed m/c.

I had a m/c at 5 weeks, but I was already bleeding by the time I had the scan, and there was nothing there. Doesn't matter how early or late it is, it was still devastating.

Big hugs. Try and keep positive, there's still a chance your numbers are just slow to double, or maybe you're earlier than you think you are.. If you can wait it out for a week, I'd be demanding another scan to check, and only then I'd be taking some sort of action so you can maybe start again.

To let you know - my HCG when I was miscarrying was 10. One week later it was -2, and back to "normal". I'm pregnant again now and HCG at 4-5 weeks was 950. That's the first time I've ever heard my HCG results, and to be honest I have no idea what they mean anyway. I'd just be crossing everything and hoping for the best, until you know otherwise.
    Last edited by sunnyskies; 07-08-2012 at 15:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh, dandelions.

I really do understand where you're coming from, as I was in quite a similar position myself just a few weeks ago.

My baby had a heartbeat, but I was told it was too slow, and I would either miscarry or need a D&C within the week. A week later I hadn't miscarried, but the heart had stopped, and they took me in for a D&C straight away.

I felt like I didn't believe the FS, and that my baby was being taken away from me. I didn't even want to go to that last appointment, as I felt that they were going to take the baby away and I didn't want to let them.

Those feelings of denial, shock, and being at a loss for what to do are very very normal at this point.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

I don't think there is ever a way of knowing whether things are going okay or not, unfortunately. Sometimes there really is no warning, and sometimes the good or bad feelings we have about a pregnancy are based on all kinds of other factors, but we don't really know. I wish we did.

Have you spoken to your husband yet? Hope he can be there with you to support you.

I wish I could say something to make you feel better. I would go for the blood test and see what it says. If you're not sure on dates then it may be a case of waiting a little more, but I'd be guided by your dr and maybe ask for a 2nd opinion if you don't feel confident with what she says.

There are a lot of lovely people on here who will hold your hand from afar too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so very sorry, Dandelions. It's a horrible thing to go through. I'd encourage you to get another blood test, in case there was something amiss with one of the first two. It's better to be sure.

If it does indeed prove to be a miscarriage, there is really nothing anyone can do or say to make it better. But please know that there are lots of us on here who have been / are going through the same thing and who are ready to listen and give you support. Venting doesn't change the situation, but it at least helps you to start to process some of the hurt and anger.

Lots of hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry. It is an awful thing to go through.

If you don't feel comfortable then wait a few days and have more tests done. You have to feel sure that whatever you do is the right thing. This happened to me my first pregnancy and I was worried the doctors were wrong and waited a few days. My HCG had dropped dramatically and, although devastated, I felt more sure of what the doctor was saying.

I have lost 2 pregnancies without feeling anything wrong. Both were discovered when I went for tests. Unfortunately you don't always know when something has gone wrong.

Thinking of you

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry to hear you are going through this stress, it is truely awful to be facing such uncertainty.

With my DD I was straight off the pill and (also prev dx with PCO) didn't know when I ovulated so the first scans showed nothing, then empty sac then finally DD and I was 5 weeks less along than my LMP dates.

My last pregnancy I had bleeding from CD32 (17dpo-ish), hence getting levels checked every two days and they were low and rising slowly like yours.

The first scan would have been about 5.5 weeks and nothing was found and I was told it was a complete m/c. But my symptoms were still increasing so i requested more bloods and my levels were still going up by about 60% every 72 hours. So that, along with the bleeding put me at risk of ectopic. However the next scan showed a sac in my uterus, but measuring very, very small for my dates (sure of a 3 day window when I would have ovulated). The pregnancy did not continue and I eventually miscarried.

But the point of my stories is that it is basically too early to know for sure. I don't see any need to rush into a D&C as I did a lot of googling during that time and found quite a few "success stories" for pregnancies where the levels had a slow rise to start with. You could also still be at risk of ectopic, which a D&C will not remove, so I would continue to get blood levels checked and request another scan in a week and hopefully they will find a sac (or even better a bubba) where it should be!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for you support, I appreciate you sharing your stories with me and I'm sorry to see your losses also.

I managed to get my blood test yesterday, I go back to the Dr tomorrow morning for the result.

GirlX - I do feel I'm in denial, what you described is like how I feel. I don't know how it could be a mistake but I am scared to get the D&C in case they are removing the baby iykwim?

But I don't know if i should ask for a scan refferal because a) I could feel better seeing nothing there or b) I could feel worse seeing nothing there. Like a double dose of bad news. I know no one can say what to do, but if you had the choice to see would you? Even if the dr was sure this is it?

Its also weird I can't seem to talk about it with my dh. Obviously the the details but not how I feel, I just feel numb at the moment. He's upset but sees this as a positive in that it shows I can get pregnant. I can't see that as a positive, I don't want to get pregnant again. I want this baby, I can't replace this baby. I don't know if that makes sense? I said I don't want to try again, I can't even comprehend that right now.

I'm not bleeding and I don't have any pains other than what I thought were "stretching" type cramps, these come and go. But I have realised now that I actually don't feel pregnant, and I know I did initially. So as to what happens now I'm confused. The dr said the wait for a D&C is about 2 weeks as they don't consider it an emergency. So what do I do during this time? It seems so long to carry around this sense of Physical loss, whether theres actually anythere there or not. Its horrible but I just want "it" to be gone. I have private hospital insurance, and ironically just got the papers from the Obstetrician in the mail today But I wasn't seeing her until 10 weeks, so I don't know who handles this.

Also if you don't mind answering, is this a day procedure? Do they put you to sleep? How did you cope? How did you feel afterwards?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, I would be insisting on having more scans done. I personally would not be comfortable having the d and c unless i was convinced that there is nothing there.

As for the d and c, I have had one and I was put into a "twilight" anesthetic and woke up around 45 min later. I was sleepy, but generally felt ok.

Massive (((hugs))) I hope you get positive news tomorrow morning x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go look at the thread 'All About Miscarriage' for a description of the D&C procedure. With me, I went to see my GP who transferred me to the early pregnancy clinic at the hospital and they handled it from there. I would get another scan and more bloods. I had to be 100% sure just for my own peace of mind. Even seeing my bub not moving with no heartbeat and smaller than it should have been I still had that niggling doubt in the background (denial). I could not have gone through anything permenant till I was sure that I had definately lost bub. I just couldnt believe that it could really be true.
    If you are not scared of the pain and really dont want to wait, look into misoprostal instead of the D&C.