+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WWYD? Re: cat and house inspection?

Take the cat over to my mothers for the day, or keep her here? That is the question....

I live on a block with four villas, all owned by the same person, but managed through the real estate. About 6 months ago I needed some repairs done in the bathroom, and while the landlord was here, I asked him whether he would allow us to have a cat. He said he was quite happy for us to have one, and said that it was fine with him, but that I should also run it by the real estate in case it goes against strata laws.

I didnt end up checking with them (yes, I know I should have) but I figured that since he actually owns the place and gave permission, that it should be fine.

I was given a gorgeous purebred rag doll kitten, who become like another member of the family. Anyway, on Thursday I have a house inspection through the real estate. I haven't told them about the cat, but I figure that they would probably would have been informed about her by my neighbor who just loves the opportunity to complain whenever she can!

So....do I just take the risk, keep her here and be upfront with them? And risk them saying that we have to get rid of her, which would be heartbreaking. Or even face the possibility of being kicked out? Which I doubt they could do, as the landlord himself gave permission. Or do I ship her off elsewhere for the day...? What would you do?
    Last edited by ~ElectricPink~; 07-08-2012 at 14:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you get rid of the cat for the day and when the pm.is there ask what the strata rules are for pets? Maybe mention tge landlord said it would be ok with them. Don't specifically ask about cats

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

beccacino  (07-08-2012),SpaghettiMonsterxxx  (07-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well they know that we have birds, and never have they said anything about it. Would there be different rules regarding things like birds and fish as opposed to cats? Good suggestion though, thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definately take away for the day! And all of its belongings...

We had this happen, real estate was fine so I brought my cats to the townhouse at the time and as I was unloading a member of the strata board said they are not allowed and proceeded to show me on some papers about it all. Turned the car around and took them back to my mums. We checked with the landlord and they confirmed it all with the owner and strata committee. We then moved out...

There will probably be different rules for birds and cats... Better to be safe than sorry...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I'd take her somewhere else for the day. And don't feel bad, if the owner of the house said it was fine for you to have a cat, then stuff the real estate! House isn't theirs. But I'd take her elsewhere just in case.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ship her off for the day. I wouldn't run the risk of them asking you to get rid of her or evicting you. The owner said it was okay. Stuff the real estate & strata rules I say. They're just a go between.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewTheEmu For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to send my cat out while the real estate was inspecting. I'd put her belongings in the washing machine, because they're not going to look in there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take her to your mothers. And yes.... Different rules usually apply for fish and birds compared to cats and dogs. Most complexes don't allow cats because you're so close to neighbours etc etc, even if the owner of the building doesn't mind.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would take her away just in case they accidentally let her outside... As happened to my friend whose cat is strictly indoors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would take her away just in case
    Unfortunately strata by-laws are regulations that you must abide by and all pets that are not approved on the tenancy application should be in writing from the agent, the lease you signed would say the same
    It's great the owner said yes but he probably wanted you to check with the agent so it could be done legally ( usually special pet clauses would be added about flea control and a damage clause added if caused by the pet ) as he owns the whole block you should be fine