+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so sick of the term pain 'threshold'. I think its sometimes used as a putdown even if not consciously by people who managed to have a drug free birth. I dont agree everyone has a different pain 'threshold', I believe some labours are more painful. And my reason for believing this is that experiences which other people describe as very painful such as having an ECV I thought didnt hurt very much, but I thought labour hurt a great deal. Yet others have described the other way round. So who has the 'higher' pain 'threshold'. Nobody, just different situations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    gah. cant quote the post I wanted to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thread is from August last year... Might be better to start a new one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have my own opinions about what's the "best way," to birth... but as an adult, I've spent enough time on Earth to know that there's a time and a place to voice that opinion, and telling a pregnant woman she's wrong at her baby shower is NOT the time nor the place.

Pick your audience. Just as I don't want people criticising my choice, someone who's all about intervention doesn't want to listen to me waffle on about the virtues of homebirth.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (06-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by soccer mum View Post
    Im so sick of the term pain 'threshold'. I think its sometimes used as a putdown even if not consciously by people who managed to have a drug free birth. I dont agree everyone has a different pain 'threshold', I believe some labours are more painful. And my reason for believing this is that experiences which other people describe as very painful such as having an ECV I thought didnt hurt very much, but I thought labour hurt a great deal. Yet others have described the other way round. So who has the 'higher' pain 'threshold'. Nobody, just different situations.

I couldn't Disagree more.

As a Mum of a child with a high pain threshold I find that insulting. If you really knew what it was like to have a child who doesn't realise they have hurt themselves and continue to do the same thing over and over again because their brain doesn't recognise the pain.
    It is a fact of life that we all have different pain threshold and we handle situations differently. It does makes us better or worse, it makes us human.

OH BTW I have 6 very different labours with very different pain levels. Some easier and less painful than others.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

mama and her little bearxxx  (06-06-2013),Mathermy  (10-06-2013),steel magnolia  (11-06-2013)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an epidural in my first labor and it ended up giving me burning pins and needles in my legs for weeks after. I hated it. So I did a lot to avoid one in my second labor. I in no way feel more empowered than someone else because I didn't have any drugs in labor, but I was and still am incredibly proud of myself for it. I don't care what others do but it was important to me and a huge healing experience. I do comment on epidurals though if people are discussing them, because sometimes they seem to be the 'norm' and people don't realize they carry a lot of real risks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I loved my epi! I have low pain tolerance and contractions were bad enough let alone feeling her head come out (transverse) and an episiotomy!!! Each to their own bit ppl shouldn't make others feel bad

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I think if I was told to stop being such a girl- I would've commented that being a 'girl' is pretty tough, giving birth proves it
    Struuuuuth! I realise this thread is from Aug last year but I was beginning to worry that I was the only one who took issue with the "girl" comment. Thank you MM. I was kinda hoping that the days of using the term "girl" as a derogatory comment were past.

My very tall, very muscly, very solid DS is a complete wuss when he hurts himself. A tiny scrape and the tears flow. My delicate, still wearing size 1 clothing at 2.5 DD is a lot tougher! She gets up, kisses her hands and rubs it on the hurty and she's off again.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 07-06-2013 at 12:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ive had two vaginal births. One with an epi and one without. I dont feel anymore of a superwoman because i gave birth once without it. To be honest it was certainly more comfortable giving birth with the epi thats for sure.

Why do women feel the need to judge others on their childbirth choices? Honestly we need to stick together things are tough enough without being judged on whether or not you have an epidural for gods sake.

If one of my friends gives birth i just ask how they are feeling, how did you go, can i help.....not 'did you have an epi?' Who cares?

To OP i think the comment was pretty out of line..... Your poor friend....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopefully Waiting For This Useful Post:

HLE  (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What a stupid comment.

I had no pain relief (other than panadol) during labour, but that's because I was at home and had no choice... I don't know what I would have done if I'd had access to pain relief.

In hindsight, I count myself lucky. I'm glad that I didn't have to deal with possible side effects etc. and I am kind of proud of myself, because I didn't really think I'd be able to cope without pain relief. I don't understand - AT ALL - why someone would criticise someone else for their choices.

I don't think it's a great idea to plan in advance exactly what you're 'going' to do when in labour because you really don't know how it's going to go... I think it often leads to unnecessary disappointment/guilt etc. However, I wouldn't belittle someone for planning what they want to do... let alone for the specifics of it.