+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had an epi with my first and no drugs at all whatsoever with my 2nd. Yes it definitely made me feel empowered to do it drug free, but that is me and my own birth experience and has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else. I would never make such a harsh judgment on anyone elses choices, so rude.

If it were a really close friend of mine and I knew them well enough to know they were open to suggestions, I might suggest they try to hold out, only because I have ongoing back problems from my epidural with my son.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm totally weak but after 16 hours and only 3 cm dilated, my being weak had nothing to do with having an epidural, I was well and truly over it.

I knew I was weak going into the whole she-bang and my husband knew I was and stressed for months before hand (mainly because he saw how upset I got when I had a tiny piece of splintered glass in my foot - his words were along the lines of - "F*** this has really got me worried about the whole birth thing now".)

I've always had a very low pain tolerance. I take my hat off to women who do it without an epidural, to women who had an epidural and to those who chose gas, pethidine, TENS, hypno birthing, c-section whatever you have to do to make it work!

I also totally understand how it would be empowering to do it without any sort of pain relief - I actually had dreams that this might have happened. Fat chance
    Last edited by babyla; 07-08-2012 at 14:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keys12 View Post

There is no shame in using any type of support whilst birthing your baby. Why dont people give others grief for using a TENS machine or gas or pethadine???? It is always the epi that cops the most flack! It baffles me. We should just be proud that we birth beautiful human beings, and one year down the track you wont even talk about it anymore!
    While i think people giving mothers "grief" about using an epidural is unfair, the reason epidurals are frowned upon if you like is because there are numerous inherent risks associated with their use. Of course it's better if a women can birth without one, but if she is not coping with the pain or is too exhausted to continue then she should be allowed that option, without being told she's "such a girl!"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Dosia  (11-06-2013),wrena  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bitterpure View Post
    Seriously? Comments like that really p*ss me off. If a woman wants to have an epidural, it's her choice and she shouldn't be made to feel bad about it. To me, birth is really not a contest to see who can go all 'natural' and who can't.
    I completely agree. I'm pregant with my first bub so obv can't really comment on comparisons between not having an epi and having one.

To be honest, at this point im really not sure what i will do. I think i want to try see how far i go without and epi but if i feel that the pain is too much i will definitley love the option to have one. I think i want the midwives to tell me when my "window" to have an epi will be closed and i will decide (if i haven't done so already) to have one or not.

There is something out there to help you get through the pain, and if you feel it's too much then i personally feel that there is nothing wrong with using it. I don't think women who have opted to not have and epi should feel that they are in a position to belittle someone who decides to have one. It's such a personal and choice, and epi or no epi...for goodness sake you just pushed out a baby! What an achievement, who cares wheather you had help for the pain or not as long as you and the baby are healthy.

Just to add, I am also terrified of epidurals..only coz the needle is so damn big big. I watch One Born Every Minute and have no problem watching the womens go into labour and the bubs coming out (i found the UK one to be more graphic) but for the life of me i just cannot watch these women get their epidurals done. Eeeek

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no opinion but honestly, I wish I could have an epi now! I am not even in labour and everything hurts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zanne For This Useful Post:

Bethylou78  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first with an epi - long posterior labour and it helped me rest and relax my pelvic floor to let the baby pass thru.

My second - I reached the hospy too late. I do feel empowered that I had a drug free birth (much better than first) but that's me!!!

Quite frankly don't care what others do but if I was asked I'd say to last out as long as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was probably more her about her showing off than offering wise counsel.
    Last edited by MissPoss; 08-08-2012 at 11:14.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had 2 drug free births, yes they made me feel empowered I'm very proud of my achievements

I don't think my births were or are any better than someone else's but I do believe that drugs/interventions can hinder the hormonal process which is part of the reason why I choose not to use them, I had issues bonding with DS1 (used gas and was a traumatic birth) so I wanted to avoid that again.

I think how you feel at the end is such an individual thing you can't compare births and say which one was better/worse and how that person should/shouldn't feel. My 1st birth might not of been traumatic for someone else but it was for me, my last birth an unassisted one might of been traumatic for someone else but it wasn't for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think her friend was quite rude for saying that. We should all feel proud no matter how our babies came into the world.
    I didnt want an epi but after having to get induced halfway through labour (as my contractions were all over the place), the midwife told me i needed one as i had a long way to go & felt like i was dying! So an epi was the best thing for me. Every situation ends up different so one woman cannot say that to a poor pregnant lady when she has no idea what her labour will be like.
    Good on you to every woman who has ever given birth i say! Whether you needed some help or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How rude of her to say that. Each to their own - it isn't something that can be compared. Well done to all women either way.
    I had the gas later in but I have a fairly high pain threshold. I don't think I felt empowered because I did it without an epi- I was proud because I'd just had a baby!!