+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    Gave me goosebumps reading that Bec...
    Well you should take some credit because it was down to people like you that gave me the courage to believe in myself and my body and make sure I got the birth I wanted.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (11-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post

Gave me goosebumps reading that Bec...

Same

It's interesting. I've had an induction with an epidural, a drug free induction and a c-section and I've copped the most judgement over the drug free birth. From both care providers, strangers, family and some friends - "You trying to be superwoman!", "You don't win a medal/get an award you know", "If you broke your arm you'd have drugs", "No brain, feel no pain, I suppose", "You don't have to be a martyr"...I could go on.

Women should be encouraged and supported in their choices and should be free to express their happiness, pride, disappointment or whatever, regardless of what they choose - or if they were even able to make a choice, without the snide mum upmanship that goes on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (11-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just wanted to say thanks to those who took time to explain what they meant by 'empowerment' regarding their births - that does help to clear it up for me.

And sorry to the OP for derailing a bit on that point!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-06-2013),Busy-Bee  (11-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a self righteous hero she is. She wins the birth competition. Someone get the medal out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I couldn't Disagree more.

As a Mum of a child with a high pain threshold I find that insulting. If you really knew what it was like to have a child who doesn't realise they have hurt themselves and continue to do the same thing over and over again because their brain doesn't recognise the pain.
    It is a fact of life that we all have different pain threshold and we handle situations differently. It does makes us better or worse, it makes us human.

OH BTW I have 6 very different labours with very different pain levels. Some easier and less painful than others.
    I apologise if I offended you, I was talking about a completely different context and situation, as should have been obvious. Sorry to hear about your child, that must be horrible for them and of course no offense meant to you or them.

Your second point was actually the EXACT point I was trying to make, that every labour is different so how can people compare. Perhaps the correct word is pain level and not pain threshold which I gather must be a medical term and I apologised if I used it wrongly. If you read my comment properly, what I said is that some people I have spoken to have used the term 'pain threshold' as an insult rather than accepting that somebody may have had a more painful birth. Hopefully you can understand that without the conversation going off track?
    Last edited by soccer mum; 12-07-2013 at 13:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was induced twice and had 2 drug free births, most people don't know that I didn't have an epidural unless they ask. I don't feel the urge to. Yes I did feel empowered by being able to achieve that, but I also went in open minded to the possibility of having one if I felt I needed it. I believe no matter how we birth our children we shouldn't judge motherhood has its own challenges other than how our babies enter the world.