+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I know a lot of men who identify as feminists.
    Me too. I'm married to one, fortunately

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

saxonrose  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Yep these threads always end up the same. Feminists attacking women who don't identify as such and either telling them they are actually feminists or making fun of them by posting pictures. Bit passive aggressive. And gosh I wonder why those women don't want to identify as feminists.
    If you look at the definition I posted of feminism it might give a better understanding of why people say "but if you believe xyz then you ARE a feminist". I don't think we need to make fun though, it's counter productive. I'd just like to see more women embrace the term for what it means and take it back of radicals and man haters who have no real right to use it. At the end if the day, feminism is about equality for women. The right to be a person in your own right.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    What do you mean, you have opinions about different roles being fulfilled? you mean you have a problem when people flip the roles?

I would say I'm the exact opposite to you. I really prefer to not be financially dependent on anyone else. It just freaks me out. But I wouldn't say being a stay at home mum makes someone less of a feminist at all. In fact lately I notice that there kind of seems to be a relationship between the natural/attachment parenting movement and feminism.. so that has a lot to do with being a stay at home mum and respecting the "traditional" role of women.. breastfeeding, being with the child in their early years and all that.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    I believe the roles can be flipped or shared but I do have strong feelings on both roles being fulfilled in an ideal situation (not overly fussed on who fills them). I was raised by a SAHD and believe having a SAHP for those first 6 years (and beyond that if possible) is really important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I might be really dumb but isnt the point of feminism to gain equality so women can make choices?

If someone makes the choice to have 'traditional' family roles/values isn't that still being a feminist?

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (07-08-2012),Guest654  (07-08-2012),headoverfeet  (07-08-2012),MissMuppet  (07-08-2012),MissPoss  (07-08-2012),NancyBlackett  (07-08-2012),saxonrose  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    It always amuses me in these threads when people are told 'if you believe in equality then you are a feminist. Simple. End of story. That's all being a feminist is.'

Then in other threads people are accused of being 'too main******' to be a feminist. Um?
    I think that is what freaks people out about feminism in the first place. When they are told you have to x,y,z to be a feminist.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I thought I made it pretty clear in my post that we're equals and our differing roles don't diminish either of our rights to equality.
    I read it wrong then- it seemed you were implying you weren't a feminist because of your familial roles.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Want2TTC View Post
    I might be really dumb but isnt the point of feminism to gain equality so women can make choices?

If someone makes the choice to have 'traditional' family roles/values isn't that still being a feminist?
    Yes and yes! You are spot on!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

saxonrose  (08-08-2012),SeymourTheBear  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Yes and yes! You are spot on!
    I smart!
    S-m-r-t! I mean s-m-a-r-t!

Seriously though, I have every right to go to the rta and get my license right now. I choose not to.
    I could ask DP to do her own damn cooking and cleaning because that isn't why I stay home, but I choose not to.
    Personally I like staying home and taking care of my family. I don't think that makes me anti feminist. There is no one chaining me to the oven with a dyson strapped to my leg.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),saxonrose  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I smart!
    S-m-r-t! I mean s-m-a-r-t!
    Classic!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

SeymourTheBear  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont see this as feminists attacking people who dont identify as feminists and demanding they accept the role, but more that we are trying to understand how you can want the same things as us, and still fit the definition of a feminist, yet refuse to identify as one. I just dont understand, if the meaning fits, then dont you have to be? Just like looking something up in a dictionary, if the definition of a certain word fits what you are looking for, then it must be that word yeah?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LotusMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-08-2012),Guest654  (07-08-2012)