+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If anyone is being told their choices are 'wrong' then that's not feminism at work. I know some radical feminists believe that women must live a certain way but I don't hold to that all. I don't care whether its a man or a woman telling me or others how to live - that's not freedom or equality. That's control.

The way I see it feminism has allowed us to choose how we organise our families, rather than have it be that way because its the only role women are allowed to have. If a woman chooses to see her husband as the leader of the family then that's her choice and is valid.

Equality can take many forms.

There is no one right way for women to live in order to be a 'feminist'. Feminism at its heart is partly about women having the right to choose who they live with and how they live rather than have society force us into one path only (or be shunned).

At least, that's what it means to me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

beccacino  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    "Not a feminist" yet taking advantage of all the rights, equal to the rights of men, that were fought for and achieved by feminists. "Not a feminist" but drive a car , walk the street alone, earn a wage and vote. "Not a feminist" but have a bank account in your name, a mortgage, apply for rental housing alone. Choose to keep your own surname, not have your child forced into adoption if you conceive out of wedlock, leave a man who beats you.

My heart aches for the feminists who fought for these rights FOR YOU.
    Why is it sooo important for you that women who believe in equality identify as feminists?

I don't think that by not wanting to identify myself as a 'feminist' I am in any way downplaying the sacrifices that these women went through to enable us to have the life we have now.

For me, I find feminism to be an outdated word, there are many men out there who feel exactly the same longing for equality as what women do but none of them are going to identify as feminists. I think in order to move forward in equality there needs to be a more all encompassing term that can be equally adopted by men and women alike.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

Green Cheese  (09-08-2012),Lincolns mummy  (07-08-2012),Rutabaga  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    If anyone is being told their choices are 'wrong' then that's not feminism at work. I know some radical feminists believe that women must live a certain way but I don't hold to that all. I don't care whether its a man or a woman telling me or others how to live - that's not freedom or equality. That's control.

The way I see it feminism has allowed us to choose how we organise our families, rather than have it be that way because its the only role women are allowed to have. If a woman chooses to see her husband as the leader of the family then that's her choice and is valid.

Equality can take many forms.

There is no one right way for women to live in order to be a 'feminist'. Feminism at its heart is partly about women having the right to choose who they live with and how they live rather than have society force us into one path only (or be shunned).

At least, that's what it means to me.
    Yep If that is the definition then I am happy to subscribe to that

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep these threads always end up the same. Feminists attacking women who don't identify as such and either telling them they are actually feminists or making fun of them by posting pictures. Bit passive aggressive. And gosh I wonder why those women don't want to identify as feminists.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (07-08-2012),nicoletta  (09-08-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know a lot of men who identify as feminists.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-08-2012),Benji  (07-08-2012),Guest654  (07-08-2012),Mrs Molly Coddle  (12-08-2012),saxonrose  (08-08-2012),Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I believe men and women are created equal, but different.

I'm a traditionalist in many ways, SAHMs in our social circles are put on pedalstools, men are given some leeway in their responsibilities after a day at work and if couples decide to flip their roles, then that's fine, but I do have opinions about different roles being fulfilled in families.

I also see my husband as the head of our household, not in the sense of him being the boss, but in the sense of him 'leading' our family.
    What do you mean, you have opinions about different roles being fulfilled? you mean you have a problem when people flip the roles?

I would say I'm the exact opposite to you. I really prefer to not be financially dependent on anyone else. It just freaks me out. But I wouldn't say being a stay at home mum makes someone less of a feminist at all. In fact lately I notice that there kind of seems to be a relationship between the natural/attachment parenting movement and feminism.. so that has a lot to do with being a stay at home mum and respecting the "traditional" role of women.. breastfeeding, being with the child in their early years and all that.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I know a lot of men who identify as feminists.
    Me too

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    I utterly refuse to follow, or allow my daughters to follow, a teaching whose leaders give such helpful and soul-inspiring advice as:
    You constantly quote the most extreme incidences, which, by definition are not actually feminists because they clearly do not believe in equality of the sexes. It's like quoting the Taliban to define the Islamic religion.

My children will be encouraged to think for themselves.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-08-2012),Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I thought I made it pretty clear in my post that we're equals and our differing roles don't diminish either of our rights to equality.
    Ah never mind I read your post wrong I think.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    It always amuses me in these threads when people are told 'if you believe in equality then you are a feminist. Simple. End of story. That's all being a feminist is.'

Then in other threads people are accused of being 'too main******' to be a feminist. Um?