+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Is that a typo? I hope so, I certainly don't think I am less than my husband because I am at home with the kids..

Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    I believe that because I am a sahm and my dh "earns the $$$" that it makes me less in this relationship or society.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So... it's still sounding to me that most people ARE feminists, but some people don't like the word, due to some associations they have with it.

Fair point about the hair colour example - my natural colour is blonde, but I'm currently brunette. I was just trying to think of some parallels, when you ARE something and what you identify as doesn't change it.

The definition of feminism is wanting equal political and social rights for both sexes. So anyone who agrees with that IS a feminist, regardless of how they identify.

It's like someone who is 9 months pregnant saying they aren't, and everyone else saying "But you ARE pregnant" and then them saying "Well that's not how I identify, as pregnant women suck!"

Grebecci - I think what you have said about the job side of things doesn't make you 'not' a feminist. You've come out with some practical considerations that a woman would need to deal with in order to do the job. You haven't said she couldn't do the job 'just because' she is a woman. Using your example, I don't have periods at all. So there is no risk of hormonal swings or bleeding for me which - I would assume - means you'd be okay about me doing that job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Is that a typo? I hope so, I certainly don't think I am less than my husband because I am at home with the kids..
    Oh yes def typo lol!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Haha, thought so - you had me worried for a second though!

Oh yes def typo lol!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It wasn't feminism that devalued motherhood - a society run by men has been doing that forever. Come on - when has mothering, and being home with the kids ever been seen by society as an important job?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    It wasn't feminism that devalued motherhood - a society run by men has been doing that forever. Come on - when has mothering, and being home with the kids ever been seen by society as an important job?
    All due respect to this poster because this is your opinion and you are entitled to it ... It is these type of anti-men comments that make me run screaming from the feminist label.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think the term feminist has been tarnished, not just by radical feminism, but also by people who don't agree with the premise. I saw a man on facebook describe people who were talking about their dislike of the lingerie football league as "fat and ugly feminist" I mean really

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All due respect to this poster because this is your opinion and you are entitled to it ... It is these type of anti-men comments that make me run screaming from the feminist label.
    No worries - but I'd love if you could share why you think this is an anti-man comment rather than simply fact?

I mean.. are you saying society is/has been run by women, or men and woman equally?.. or that society has always valued stay-at-home-mums?... I just don't get what you actually disagree with about by comment...?
    Last edited by BornToBe; 07-08-2012 at 10:18. Reason: Clarify

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe men and women are created equal, but different.

I'm a traditionalist in many ways, SAHMs in our social circles are put on pedalstools, men are given some leeway in their responsibilities after a day at work and if couples decide to flip their roles, then that's fine, but I do have opinions about different roles being fulfilled in families.

I also see my husband as the head of our household, not in the sense of him being the boss, but in the sense of him 'leading' our family.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

beccacino  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    fem·i·nism/ˈfeməˌnizəm/
    Noun:
    The advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

This^^ to everyone saying "I'm not a feminist but..."
    This is the basic definition. Put stereotypes aside. Is there anyone here who does not advocate women's rights of equality to men??

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-08-2012),Guest654  (07-08-2012),LotusMum  (07-08-2012),MissMuppet  (07-08-2012),Rutabaga  (07-08-2012),shelle65  (07-08-2012)