+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfields View Post
    Fundamentalists of every colour and creed are dangerous, destabilising and ruin it for the 99%. Islam, Christianity and feminism being excellent examples.

2nd and 3rd-wave 'bra burning' feminists got all the press and unfortunately the feminist movement is fragmented now and unable to present a picture of what feminism means today. I think every woman (and man) who believes women deserve equal status to men is a feminist.

As an aside, the decline of feminism loosely tracks the rise of Western right-wing ideology globally, and I am concerned by that.
    Totally agree

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Your a feminist in denial
    Lol. Never say never .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just a question, for those who do not want to identify as a feminist, yet believe in equality, is it the label you are refusing more than anything? As really, your beliefs do in fact make you a feminist.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LotusMum For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (07-08-2012),saxonrose  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusMum View Post
    Just a question, for those who do not want to identify as a feminist, yet believe in equality, is it the label you are refusing more than anything? As really, your beliefs do in fact make you a feminist.
    Yes, I'm confused by this.

To me this is like saying: "I have brown hair, but I refuse to be called a brunette."

Or "I don't eat any meat, but I do not call myself a vegetarian."

To me if you believe in those ideals (equality for all) then you ARE a feminist. It doesn't mean you have to wear a special badge, or learn a secret handshake - but it's a word that is used to describe someone who believes in equality for both sexes.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-08-2012),Boobycino  (07-08-2012),BornToBe  (07-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (07-08-2012),LotusMum  (07-08-2012),saxonrose  (08-08-2012),Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm just me and I happen to have certain beliefs...about lots of things! Surely it's a choice whether to identify as one or not?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (07-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't label myself as a 'feminist'
    I do believe in equality to the degree where the pay for males or females in the same job is of an equal level and that votes are counted equally and as such but I think that there are some jobs that women are just not the right people for, (yes this is a generalisation and I will explain the rationale for it in a minute) I also think it's nice sometimes to have my door opened, my chair pulled out or DH settle the bill because it's nice to be treated like a lady.

In regards to the job thing, I firmly believe that unless a woman is willing to take medication or use some other form of stopping AF from coming monthly that they should not be permitted to participate in front line combat roles in the military. My brother is an officer in the RAAF and during his training he participating in a simulated front line war situation over the course of 2 weeks. One of the women who was doing the course with him had chosen not to do anything to prevent AF coming during that time and subsequently her 'visitors' arrived whilst she was on course. Obviously hygiene standards are hard to maintain whilst out in the bush, living in a trench and her position certainly led to those around her being in quite an uncomfortable situation. On top of that she had severe period pain on the first day of her period and he fellow soldiers had to cover her guard duties and other duties that needed to be done.

The other problem with feminism is that no matter what 'wiktionary' or wikipedia or the rest of the internet says, the definition of something becomes what the overwhelming majority of people thinks it is. If the majority of the population associates feminism with a movement supporting the superiority of women then that's what it becomes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

nicoletta  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    I'm just me and I happen to have certain beliefs...about lots of things! Surely it's a choice whether to identify as one or not?
    Of course, but I guess that's where I get confused, as to me it's just a word used to describe someone who thinks a certain way.So... if you think that way then you are one. I don't really see it as something you 'identify' with any more than you identify with being brunette or a vegetarian.Sure there might be radical brunettes, and radical vegetarians, but those are still words used to describe something a bit factual.Not sure if I'm explaining my point well!Like... I come from England. Therefore I am English. If I said "Well I don't identify as English" then, okay, but I still AM.If that makes sense??ETA: And if someone said "Are you English?" I couldn't really say no if I actually was. Even if I didn't 'identify' myself that way.
    Last edited by Guest654; 07-08-2012 at 09:41.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

LotusMum  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Of course, but I guess that's where I get confused, as to me it's just a word used to describe someone who thinks a certain way.

So... if you think that way then you are one. I don't really see it as something you 'identify' with any more than you identify with being brunette or a vegetarian.

Sure there might be radical brunettes, and radical vegetarians, but those are still words used to describe something a bit factual.

Not sure if I'm explaining my point well!

Like... I come from England. Therefore I am English. If I said "Well I don't identify as English" then, okay, but I still AM.

If that makes sense??
    Yes, it does make sense. I am blonde, also a vegetarian, also a Christian, I guess I do use labels. In all honestly I probably do associate feminism with some negative things due to experiences (same as people do with Christians, I KNOW) ....Just like people say 'you can be a good person without being a Christian' which is of course true, I guess I feel, I can believe in equality without being a feminist. I

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Grebbeci  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You will refuse to allow your daughter to follow??? Are you serious? No seriously - do you see how you sound right there? She is not your dog, she is your child, and she is a human - with free will. My goodness - I have read some shockers on BH- but that is up there with the very worst.

PS- that is not feminism - there are nut cases in every group, that would be like saying that all Christians are the same as David Koresh - and we all know that isn't the case.

The fact that you used that as an example makes it clear that you are very ignorant on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    I utterly refuse to follow, or allow my daughters to follow, a teaching whose leaders give such helpful and soul-inspiring advice as:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe in equality for ALL not just women ... I dont believe in special treatment because you are a woman, man,ethnic, elderly or youth.

I don't agree with wages not being equal for men and women. If a man and woman has the same qualifications, experience, length of service for a company and the same responsibilities the salary should be the same - however if in the same period the woman has had time off for a family or parental leave for a man the salaries should reflect that too.

I believe that because I am a sahm and my dh "earns the $$$" that it makes me less in this relationship or society.

I do not subscribe to the term feminist ... I think it is a political term and I don't want to be lumped in with the fanatics. You can call me a feminist tho and I dont care ... I am a woman, a mother, a daughter, a wife.

The comparison about hair colour made me chuckle I am brunette now ... Next week blond maybe?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (07-08-2012),Grebbeci  (07-08-2012),MissPoss  (07-08-2012)