+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've skimmed threw this loooong thread as I was really interested to see why some women often state they are not feminists, but talk about derailed! Although I think what Vicpark is perhaps saying is if we want equality we need to take responsibility for our own actions, not blame men, which is truein some cases i guess,
    I do however think that this is not a feminist issue as there are lots of men who blame their partners and not take responsibility for their actions, if only things were black and white, however life has lots of shades of grey.
    Anyway I feel I am a feminist- and I feel that unfortunately we women often sabotage ourselves
    Having a daughter i feel it is my responsibility to be strong and stand up for equality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, we think its been derailed but perhaps its the heart of the matter. You've got to wonder how many people out there who define themselves as 'not feminist' who think that it's just women avoiding personal responsibility and blaming men for their problems. Instead of examining the underlying problems and admitting sexism still exists its just easier to blame the 'victim' rather than see the bigger picture. Men need to take more responsibilty for their kids, why aren't they getting this message?

I think as we have more equality in society you are going to get more of an 'I'm alright jack' attitude from other women who think there isn't a problem anymore. I really didn't realise how badly some women are treated until I got up the duff and started reading pregnancy forums. (my main gripe was with workplaces not giving men enough time off for their kids and so putting the emphasis on women having to do it) Sexism seems to be alive and well, heck ask the guy who wasn't allowed to sit next to some kids on a Virgin flight because he was a man (and thats not feminism either before anyone gets confused, thats sexism). And men for some reason don't feel as responsible for children in society........ no wonder if they are considered potential pedophiles when they sit on a plane! But thats another topic!
    Last edited by Bongley; 13-08-2012 at 07:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh FFS, how can people get so off track with what feminism is??!

Until very recently women in the middle east could not vote - have they been 'not taking responsibility for their actions' up until now? Sheesh

Its about the collective rights of women, which have traditionally been completely unfairly oppressed by men.

Derailing is the correct diagnosis for this thread!
    Last edited by Ellewood; 13-08-2012 at 07:47.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS. Can we not feed the trolls please
    Last edited by Ellewood; 13-08-2012 at 08:24.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a massive feminist myself, I don't necessarily agree we need 'equality' in terms of a more equal quantity of men taking time off to be SAHD's after baby is born... I think it makes more sense in most cases that the woman stays home after baby is born and that women mostly want to. I know myself i was so physically wrecked and after carrying DS for 9 months I wanted to recover, and just be with him 24/7 for as long as I possibly could before returning to work when I felt ready. It took me a year to recover physically too. More paternity leave for dads is good of course, but not if it's going to pressure or even force mums back to work before they're ready. It's about options, and making the transition back to work when/if women choose, as smooth and fair as possible, and having more options and flexibilty for dads to be contributing parents as well, which is probably for a lot of couples more relevant as the kids get older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    So dismissive. VicPark, just because someone disagrees with your point of view, does not mean they are interpreting you incorrectly. You are lacking empathy with your posts, and it will offend people. Throw away comments about "having your knickers in a knot" and "making incorrect assumptions" are quite disrespectful to other posters - and really, quite ironic considering your argument is about personal responsibility - why aren't you taking any for the offensive things you type?
    Have you checked out the new thread or do you just want to sit and argue all day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree, I want to be at home at the moment, It's my choice, but when I was at work (part time) after my first if she got sick at DC DHwould go get her if it was a work day for me as I only worked half the week so for us it was logical he take the day off as I would be home with her the next day on my day off, well at his 100% male work place they just never got it, it was always a problem bc they just assumed it should be the mothers job, these are the attitudes that need to change, in many places/ situations, especially the work force we still don't have equal rights.